HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,477 Posts
The ISPs probably struck a deal with them- we'll give you ad space if you stop flooding us with e-mail spam...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
Agreed,and mix in an ever decreasing number of people who understand the basics of economics,it's a scary situation.
I can think of 536 in particular (435 + 100 + 1).

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,584 Posts
Legaleese.

Bought a new GPS that advertises "Free Map Updates For Life." In tiny print it says something like " Our attorneys indicate that that statement is misleading. We mean free updates for the useful life of the device and WE will determine the useful life of the device. Emphsis mine. "Hello, I want my free update." " Sorry chump, your device is outdated."
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:04 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,593 Posts
That happened to me when I went to update mine.
green-boat is online now Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:28 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,477 Posts
Don't you hate it when a machine does exactly what it's supposed to do?

Thought I'd do a quick re-routing of my basement/shop sump pump's discharge pipe, it was in the way just a little bit.

Man, that thing can move some water! It's OK, I have dry clothes upstairs...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:34 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Don't you hate it when a machine does exactly what it's supposed to do?

Thought I'd do a quick re-routing of my basement/shop sump pump's discharge pipe, it was in the way just a little bit.

Man, that thing can move some water! It's OK, I have dry clothes upstairs...
Sounds like a (wet) "blast from the past" when I lived in Ames, Iowa and was replacing my sump pump. Have to agree with Pat!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:39 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,657 Posts
When you want to order a replacement part for a model (in this case, a transmitter for a Flyzone Playmate) and find out that the has been completely updated with new parts, and, although the old part is available, you really want the whole updated model instead, even though it will cost more than the replacement part.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:49 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
Bought a new GPS that advertises "Free Map Updates For Life." In tiny print it says something like " Our attorneys indicate that that statement is misleading. We mean free updates for the useful life of the device and WE will determine the useful life of the device. Emphsis mine. "Hello, I want my free update." " Sorry chump, your device is outdated."
L O L
I bought one at a pawn shop and the update is almost twice the cost of the GPS
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:59 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
Ok heres mine

I had to load a water heater and five loads of trash into my truck Friday. Of course the tailgate picked that day to malfunction. Well I got the water heater and the loads of trash in the truck without opening the tailgate. OK no big deal. I went to the local gm dealer to get the little plastic part the holds the rod likage to the handle and decided to replace both since I was in there. $35.00 freekin dollars for two little plastic clips! I paid the price installed them lubed everything that moved and put it back together. YIKES!!!! I took my wifes beatle to the store yesterday and the airbag warning light is on. Asked my wife about it and she said it had been on for a few days! Does anyone make anything that doesn't fall apart?
Bob
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:58 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Ah.. a GERMAN airbag warning light.. that should be NICE and Expensive!

easy fix, stick some electrical tape over the light. Also, louder radios are usually cheaper than valve jobs. I'm also having a difficult time explaining to my sainted bride that fixing her car and getting it legal to drive again is cheaper than a typical "night out" And would result in less drunken complaining about not being independently mobile.

She also wants a Safety orange smart car. I made the threat that if she got one, I would have it stickered up like the General Lee.
she actually liked the idea, and I would then be obligated to get a smart car in Union grey, and sticker it up with an American Flag on the roof, and the number 76 on the side and call it the General Grant.

"But Marie! yer the one from North Missouri!"
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Bg,

Awesome solution until you got to the part where you had to drive one as well remember you don’t get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

Robert,

Sadly they intentionally make them to break these days, it angers me too after all how could anyone take pride in or get satisfaction from a product made in such a way.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
Have a neighbor with three cars; a pickup, a semi, and a smartcar, he is afraid of NOTHING on the road till he had to drive his wife's new Smart home from Salt Lake City (about 5 hours) which meant 4 hours with his foot on the floor on the interstate! First time one of his fellow OTR drivers passed him in a semi it nearly swapped ends! The car is pretty much sentenced to local drives and stays off any road with more that a 50mph speed limit. He is not looking forward to snow because a set of snow tires for it cost what they do for his pickup.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:02 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
The Smart would be a great car if it didn't cost more than larger, equally fuel efficient and more useful cars. Might as well just buy one of those big side-by-side four wheelers.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:53 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
Depends on what the deffinition of "smart" (Smart) is.
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:03 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
I looked over one of those smart cars recently, and had to wonder what was "smart" about it.

All I saw was "death trap"---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan