HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,843 Posts
How is this for turning the tables on the politicians. Band together and declare your self a separate nation, pick a fight with the USA, than before hostilities start, sue for peace. That way they will have to make good with your economy and the such, like was done with Germany and Japan after world war II.

At least the moneys will not travel to far like they are doing right now with all the nations we try to buy friendship with.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
It has been tried before (at least in Hollyweird)! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053084/ And as for Germany and Japan they have used the benefits we gave them to again become economic powers and allies. The question I have is how will Pakistan and South Somalia be our allies in the future? Somewhere along the line we need to look at world/geographic history before we give these 'governments' money and aid, a lot of these places have not had a stable government over their nation (or even tribal area) for even a generation.

On a related note when will the Republicans get smart enough to quit cutting each other throats in the press and get started running against the incumbent in the White House? Two years ago I would have said it was their race to LOSE, now I don't think they can find enough unity in their own party (let alone the moderate middle of America who really hold the power), to really compete. Usually they are running against each other to the far right (Republican) and far left (Dems), and after they conventions they run to the middle to try and get the real electorate (the 60% in the real middle that are not far right or left). This election the President hasn't had to say a word, the Republicans are busy committing ritual slaughter on each other and forgetting their goal of winning back the White House. The next four months will pretty entertaining; the president isn't going to have to do negative ads the Republicans have already done them so much on each other!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Last edited by fooman2008; Apr 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
How is this for turning the tables on the politicians. Band together and declare your self a separate nation, pick a fight with the USA, than before hostilities start, sue for peace. That way they will have to make good with your economy and the such, like was done with Germany and Japan after world war II.

At least the moneys will not travel to far like they are doing right now with all the nations we try to buy friendship with.
let me share a little story with you.

its the story of the Conch republic..

ever hear of it? it's still quite active..

see.. back in 1982, the government set up a border check point in Florida... it was on route 1, pretty much where the Florida main land ends and the Florida Key begins.

this was a problem.. for one thing.. this was a border checkpoint about 60 miles in of the united states territory proper.. they had actually set up a International border check point WELL WITHIN the borders of the continental united states..

first and foremost.. that's pretty messed up.

secondly. it caused a grand cluster**** for every one living, and working down there because anyone trying to get into, or out of the Florida Keys was now waiting in line for 45+ minutes to go through that check point.

it was killing business.

so the mayor of Key west decide that he had do his mayor thing
good thing for him is that Key west was also the seat for Monroe county.

since the locals, and thee federalies were not doing anything

they Seceded from the union.

everything from the checkpoint on down was now to be considered the Conc republic and a they had a big ceremony to do so.

they had guys dressed up as members of the Navies admiralty, They declared sovereignty, named the new land the Conch republic, and in an act of war, broke a piece of bread over the Navy guys head, then immediately surrendered and asked the feds for some 16 million in federal aid.

They have yet to receive that foreign aid..

but what DID happen because off all that mess, the big public... S***storm did cause the removal of the border crossing and business as usual resumed in the Florida Keys.

despite all of this.. several foreign nations have received, and accepted the official passport of the conch republic.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:25 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog985 View Post
They would probably find the going easy on the coasts until they hit the heartland/red states, where peace and love can often be found with a 30-06. Got to "love" the "peace" and quiet of a nice hunt. You guys on the coast are welcome to load up and head this way, just leave the hippies please
I feel so fortunate to be able to wake up on a sunday morning and hear the heartwarming sounds of neighbors semi and automatic fire.I sip my coffee,try to smell the smoke.I sip faster,still no smoke,so I go and get mine.
OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
The rifle fire doesn't bother me except my place is nearly surrounded by houses and when the dingbats (not my neighbors, they are smarter than that) fire, they fire into the basalt cliff behind my house! I am waiting for a ricochet to hit someone one day! Smart people (like me and the neighbors) go 500 yards over the cliff to the abandoned gravel pit!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
The rifle fire doesn't bother me except my place is nearly surrounded by houses and when the dingbats (not my neighbors, they are smarter than that) fire, they fire into the basalt cliff behind my house! I am waiting for a ricochet to hit someone one day! Smart people (like me and the neighbors) go 500 yards over the cliff to the abandoned gravel pit!
Foo

Bummer,I call that strangulation.But at least you have a place to go.
It's of little concern here since everyone has 3 to 50 acres,virgin woods and adaquate ranges.I can only see one neighbors house.
I just feel ......good.
OBW
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
Spiders.
Everywhere, spiders! And webs!

So, I know most of you have spotless workshops in the house, cleaner than my high school autoshop after the shop teacher had us all stay late until the glass bead blaster could pass the white glove test... but I digress...

Anyway, for those of us with basement and garage workshops... is there ANY hope for getting rid of those blasted spiders and their webs? I can't keep ANYTHING clean and free of their mess!

And I'm not sure I want to cover every square inch with poisonous sprays... but what else?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:24 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I don't mind the spider so much actually.. they usually keep to the corners and whatnot and help keep the bitey things away.

now if there was something that kept wives from taking over the shop to talk on the phone...
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
A vacuum cleaner will solve both of your problems! They hold spiders quite well and wives just love them!
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:27 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,624 Posts
A couple of cats will do a good job on spiders. Of course nothing is free. See my post under "Pets....."
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:06 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
A vacuum cleaner will solve both of your problems! They hold spiders quite well and wives just love them!
Ants, however, find their way back out. I can't speak for aunts.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Well played sir!
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:44 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
I got a rental car while my Subaru is in the shop. I get the usual routine about no smoking, fill it up when your done, and a warning about losing the key(s). Then they hand me this thing. Two identical keys and a plastic case containing the cars bar code ID, all held together with a crimped wire lanyard. Now I have to ask, if I lose this, won't both keys be gone? And is the $225 for one, or both? I fail to see the logic.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:51 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2008
123 Posts
Boater Dave,
Had the same problem with my last few car from Hertz. I just cut the wire and keep the two keys separate. Before returning the car the keys are joined with another piece of wire. So far no one has complained.
Glynn Guest
GlynnG is offline Find More Posts by GlynnG
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:16 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,624 Posts
Did anyone think to ask the agent when they gave you the keys "What am I supposed to do with this?"
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE