HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:12 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,118 Posts
Discussion
E-flite Blade SR 120 Discuss Anything Thread

If you come in here and want to play "Thread Police" - forget it.

The rules in here are simple - chat, enjoy the banter, and have some fun.

All, of course, within the general RCG rules of what is considered offensive, flaming, objectionable language etc etc.

Them's the rules in here - if you don't like them, go somewhere else. Or I'll dump you like a hot spud.

Naggers, naysayers, and 'stick to the topic' people are NOT welcome here.

Period.

Now... let the pardy begin

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:46 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,173 Posts
Meow; woof; woof

Any cat and dog fights here?
I hope not

Lol

Spanks BJ
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:57 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,118 Posts
OooOoOOo....

You bet there'll be "punch-ons" in here

I'd be disappointed if there wasn't .. ~S~

Let's open the account by asking "is there a Walkera that's better than the SR120 - bang for dollar??"

Alternatively, I could always ask "what LiPo's are the best to use for my SR120 - and what spare parts should I buy???"

What the heck - I've had such a gutfull of the whingers in TOT (that other thread) always bellyaching about having to sift through pages of waffle to find some pertinent info.

Meh, that's life... It's not always presented on a sliver platter.

Try using Mickey$oft help and see how well you go... LoL

BJ
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:58 AM
Just A Guy Taking a Walk...
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
57 Posts
Tail Rotor bearing - Useful or Useless?

I'm looking at the tail rotor bearing, and trying to decide if this part actually helps the tail - I've flown with it both installed and not, and can't tell a difference?

I'm about 2 weeks into flying this bird and it's a JOY!!!
Only two gripes -

The battery harness is way too fragile, and so are both main and tail rotors...
Any word on beefier blades yet?
HSteve is online now Find More Posts by HSteve
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,173 Posts
keep the bearing

trust me if protects tail motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSteve View Post
I'm looking at the tail rotor bearing, and trying to decide if this part actually helps the tail - I've flown with it both installed and not, and can't tell a difference?

Only two gripes -

Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSteve View Post

Only two gripes -

That lil 'bearing' thing is to help stop the tailmotor shaft from punching the back out of the motor itself during a tail-strike.

Only problem is - during a heavy tail-strike, the tail rotor blade often goes west. And so does the bearing. The blade you can usually find, albeit sometimes in pieces. That tiny bearing thing is small and black, so it's often ridiculously hard to find. I bought a replacement tail rotor blade not so long ago, and it included a new protector-bearing.

You can fly without it, no problems. But then you run the risk of popping the back-end of the tail motor out. Which is a bit of a bummer, coz once you drive that piece out of the motor assembly, it's almost impossible to get back in correctly again so that the windings don't poll etc. And even if you do manage to do that, the crimping on that small SS motor can is a fair bugger to set back right again. Sure, you can use epoxy, slicone paste, BoBs Magic Hot Glue etc, but the motor is often knackered once you pop the backing-plate out.

A few guys have used various methods to retain that bearing thingy on the motor shaft even when you trash the blade itself.

As for the blade, it's made from a very brittle white plastic - nowhere near as resilient as the mSR's tail blade, for example.

But I'm guessing here that that's for a reason - the mSR tail blade can start to flatten out and the tail loses it's authority to balance out the main rotor's torque. On a clockwise spinning main rotor (viewed from the top), your Bird will slowly start yawing to Starboard more and more as the tailblade begins to flatten - it's pitch gets less and less until it gets to a point where the counter-thrust it produces isn't sufficient to hold the tail steady anymore. Even in just a hover. Much less when you start trying to do anti-clockwise piro's.

So HH made the SR120 tailblade out of a material that is less prone to distortion, but much more brittle - to the point that it often fails during a tail-stike. Or if it doesn't during the initial strike, it can often fail when you're trying to bend it back once it has been whacked.

Re the battery harness: it's mounting point often fails due to it's rather flimsy design - a tiny screw trying to hold a very small and thin piece of plastic. And if yours busted like mine did, the whole battery cradle pivots every time you try to insert a fresh LiPo. A real PITA.

Re 'beefier blades' - haven't heard of any due to be released. But, seriously, if you're breaking the main blades, you must be giving the thing a helluva whack when going in. Are you making sure you pull the throttle to zero as soon as you realise you're going to crash? Going in with the main rotor still under power hurts your Heli. But then again, I would have thought that an impact hard enough to damage main blades would hit the blade grips first ??

BJ
Last edited by BJ64; Jan 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:43 AM
Just A Guy Taking a Walk...
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
57 Posts
Well, There it is...

Ok, I'll keep the bearing, good to know...

I've got a chain-link fence in my backyard where I fly - It has some kind of gravitational worm-hole effect on my 120. Just my 120...Put up a couple of blankets over it, should help. My skills are improving quickly now that I've attained an "advanced-n00b" status, so hopefully I'm getting past the fly 5 minute/repair 10 minutes cycle LOL...
HSteve is online now Find More Posts by HSteve
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
So I have this Walkera V120D02 that flies nice.. But it's so little compared to the 120SR will the 120SR canopy fit on the V120D02? Will it make it look bigger.. Can I get a 120SR canopy that looks as nice as the Metallic red V120D02 does?? Should I just wait till the 120SRCP come out??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:09 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Meow; woof; woof

Any cat and dog fights here?
I hope not

Lol

Spanks BJ
Hey you,,,,,, what's you doing here???
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:22 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,826 Posts
Tiger or Intellect 500mah 1S Lipos

Can someone point me to a source for these higher capacity lipos? I have done some searching and they lead to Eflite or some oversize lipos that will not fit...
Thanks,
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:51 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,173 Posts
Same as you Booby

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Hey you,,,,,, what's you doing here???
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:52 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,173 Posts
We should all bombard Hyperion with emails asking them to make lipos for the 120 SR

What say you?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:00 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,210 Posts
Someone should really change the title of this thread - It's "120 SR" not "SR 120" (you can check the Blade web page if you doubt this is true)

Hey . . . some people like doing things right, then there are those who really don't care about quality.

Happy flyin'
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
We should all bombard Hyperion with emails asking them to make lipos for the 120 SR

What say you?
Yes, Hyperion lipos are the best!

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Can someone point me to a source for these higher capacity lipos? I have done some searching and they lead to Eflite or some oversize lipos that will not fit...
Thanks,
Gary
As you can see Gary, people here want Hyperion. I doubt that will happen.
Anyway some of the guys have used some after market batteries with predictable results. I do wish those fellows would chime in here with some linkys for us. I do know they exist, I have seen them.
Ron
A Rdnek is online now Find More Posts by A Rdnek