HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:48 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
I've been "flying" with CRRCsim for a few weeks, first using the mouse, then a USB joystick, and finally with an interface I built for my (new) Futaba Transmitter.

Having some hours of experience on CRRCsim was a real help when I first got to fly our club trainer for real

Peter
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2006, 03:49 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unterhausen
Mr. Beagle, I took what I learned from your comment and got CRRCSim to work for the first time. Now I just have to figure out how to use my TX with it.
Congratulations! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I lost track of this thread and just rediscovered it completely by accident.

It is supposed to be very easy to get CRRCSIM to work with your transmitter - basically you find the PWM signal at the buddy-cord port, and run it into the audio card on your PC with an ordinary phono plug and some coax cable. Then you select the "audio" interface in CRRCSIM instead of "mouse" or "joystick" or whatever you are using. However when I tried this, I got a "device does not exist" warning...I never spent the time to track down the problem.

PeterO_UK seems to know what's involved to get this working.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
fullhouse newbie
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
435 Posts
CRRCSim is a really nice sim. It's one of the few that runs on OSX, and comes at the right price

There is quite a bit of work being done on the graphics in the 0.9.7 beta, there is a new skybox which improves the sky rendering and allows for custom sky graphics. The infrastructure for custom flying field's is also in the works. There has also been quite a bit of work done on improving the thermal modeling.

There may have been a issue with the audio input on PC in 0.9.6 - not sure if there was a patched release?
spatial is offline Find More Posts by spatial
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:21 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Spatial - thanks for the update, I look forward to the release of 0.9.7. Are you perhaps involved with CRRCSIM development?

I agree that CRRCSIM is a Free sim done right. With aerodynamics input from no less an authority than Dr. Mark Drela himself, and truly Free (GPL) code, this is one sim that I hope will go far, and give the expensive proprietory sims a run for their money.

FMS is nice, but the aerodynamics is marginal, the source code is secret, the authors seem to have lost interest a couple of years ago, no new versions have been released in a long time, and unless the authors free up the code and make it available, it will likely wither and die over the next few years.

I might as well mention an idea that's been floating around my head since I got my first taste of CRRCSIM . How about a Linux live-CD with CRRCSIM already pre-built and ready to go at the click of a mouse?

I know, the first obvious obstacle is getting OpenGL going. Luckily, there are now a few live-CD's that use clever scripts and Nvidia and ATI drivers to auto-detect the video card, and enable OpenGL. Two such CD's that I know of are MyahOS (based on Slackware and oriented towards gaming), and Kororaa XGL (based on Gentoo, and intended as a showcase for the new XGL desktop effects - which require OpenGL to function).

Most RC enthusiasts are unfamilar with Linux, and therefore have no way to try CRRCSIM. Many of the small percentage of people who currently use Linux will also not easily get CRRCSIM to compile and run, due to the lack of ready-built packages for their Linux distro, and to the complexity of getting OpenGL running as well. So I think a CRRCSIM live-CD would be a very handy thing, opening up CRRCSIM to a lot of people who cannot use it today.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:55 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
CRRCSIM runs OK on Windows too... it's not a linux-only app.

The trouble with a live CD is going to be getting audio working well enough to get transmitter input.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Andrew - most of the live-CD's I've tested in the last couple of years get audio going entirely automatically. That problem was solved long before getting OpenGL going automatically was. (OpenGL depends on having the correct proprietary driver loaded for ATI or Nvidia cards - and older cards require a different proprietory driver than newer ones - so I think it took some clever scripting from the developers to make OpenGL auto-configuration a reality.)

Of course it is possible to have some very oddball audio card and run into problems, but I've had both my various Creative sound cards, and the built-in onboard integrated sound successfully detected and auto-configured on every PC I've tried Mepis, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, and many other live-CD's on for the last two or three years.

I could not get audio input working on CRRCSIM 0.9.6 running on Gentoo 2006.0 at all, with a "device not found" error. The solution might be as simple as having to create a /dev/dsp or /dev/audio link, or as complex as a CRRCSIM bug, as RCG user Spatial suggested above. So I use CRRCSIM with a cheap Logitech "Dual Action USB Game Pad" to serve as a controller.

Thanks for confirming that CRRCSIM works on Windows. I haven't really used Windows for anything other than Real Flight GII in the last six years, so I wasn't aware of this. A couple of things Real Flight GII has that CRRCSIM doesn't is a bigger selection of powered models, and built-in aerobatics lessons. But $200 is a steep price to pay for those!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Sep 13, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 01:16 AM
fullhouse newbie
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2004
435 Posts
Flieslikeabeagle,

not a developer, but I do make pretty regular builds from cvs and test things to see how they run on OS X. There are only a couple of guys who are really pushing on with development, and what they are doing is way above my head.

I don't believe the project has the "person power" to put together and maintain a live cd, unless you want to volunteer?

There are pre-complied Windows and Mac OSX versions available for each version, so commercial OSes are well covered. The fragmentary nature of Linux user base means it's very difficult to have sufficient resources put together binary packages.

cheers
Paul
spatial is offline Find More Posts by spatial
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:49 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatial
I don't believe the project has the "person power" to put together and maintain a live cd, unless you want to volunteer?
Nice screen-shot!

Actually this is something I have been thinking about. I have never re-mastered a Live CD, but I keep hearing that it is now so easy a squirrel or even a Bush family member could do it. That last may be an exaggeration, of course - I mean, there's a big gap between the intellectual capabilities of a squirrel and those of a member of the Bush family.

I doubt I have the free time to maintain an ongoing Live-CD project, but if I could learn how to do it, I would be interested in trying to create such a Live-CD, even if only one time.

Quote:
There are pre-complied Windows and Mac OSX versions available for each version, so commercial OSes are well covered.
Ah - I hadn't realized that. Good, that's a step in the right direction for those unfortunate enough to not be using Linux .
Quote:
The fragmentary nature of Linux user base means it's very difficult to have sufficient resources put together binary packages.
Yeah, I think Red Hat did the Linux world a huge disservice by coming up with the RPM format. Bloody annoying that RPM's not only are largely incompatible with other types of Linux packages, but also incompatible with different RPM-based distros, and even different versions of the same RPM-based distro. Sigh.

Still, there is a lot of shaking-out happening in the Linux world. While there may be 500 distros listed on Distrowatch.com, the number of those with any real future or any significant user base are probably comes down to fewer than ten.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:58 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,799 Posts
I will try out ccrm in a few weeks with umbanto linux

I will try out ccrm in a few weeks with umbanto linux but first I will do the windows version

my computer is a laptop 6 months old xp 1.7ghz 15 inch square screen 40 gig hd partinioned to 25 15 and ubanto on the 15 gig

Initialy as its part of a evening computer course i will just use keyboards

any tips appreciated

later in 2007 willl also load it into my mac g4 18 month old tiger 10

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:57 PM
Joined May 2005
824 Posts
I've been flying the latest version for a couple of days. It seems to be a lot better than FMS somehow. Not sure why. On FMS I couldn't hit the runway to save my life. On CRRCsim I can always land the plane approximately where I want to. Maybe it has to do with the pov algorithm or something. I don't know.

For all you people using JR radios out there, you can plug your buddy cord directly from the transmitter into your microphone jack (yes that's your microphone jack) and then turn down the mic level a bit in the control panel. Then configure CRRCsim to use its audio input device, calibrate your sticks, and you can use your transmitter with it. Works very well on OS X and Linux, and should work on Windows too.

There seems to be a dearth of CRRCsim models out there, and documentation to really make them. As far as I can see there are *no* models available anywhere for download, except what comes with the simulation. This is probably unlikely, but having utility to convert FMS models to CRRCsim would be nice.
caseih is online now Find More Posts by caseih
Old Oct 14, 2006, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2006
7 Posts
CRRCsim compilation problems

Hello,

I'm having some strange problems with compilation of CRRCsim-0.9.6. The problem is, that if I enable the "Audio control interface" in config file (crrc_config.h), the program doesn't compile.

Code:
$ make -f Makefile.linux
~~~~
~~~~
--- Linking
out/audio_interface/tx_audio.o(.text+0x399): In function `audio_rc_open':
: undefined reference to `Pa_CountDevices'
out/audio_interface/tx_audio.o(.text+0x412): In function `audio_rc_open':
: undefined reference to `Pa_GetDefaultInputDeviceID'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [crrcsim] Error 1
I'm using Slackware 11 with Sempron 2500+ CPU and GeForce FX 5500. I have all the support libraries installed (plib, glut, portaudio, sdl...). CRRCsim works really great without the audio control interface... But it is no fun flying with the mouse!

Can anybody help me out a bit?
artemus is offline Find More Posts by artemus
Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:32 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
I doubt I have the free time to maintain an ongoing Live-CD project, but if I could learn how to do it, I would be interested in trying to create such a Live-CD, even if only one time.
My wife has been running Dreamlinux. It has a interesting tool for creating your own live cd that might be worth a try. Dreamlinux itself is a livecd that worked out so well I loaded it to the HD. Everything was detected on her computer and I mean everything. Network, sound the works. Its based on Debian and Morphix.

http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/index.html

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:41 AM
Joined May 2005
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemus
Hello,

I'm having some strange problems with compilation of CRRCsim-0.9.6. The problem is, that if I enable the "Audio control interface" in config file (crrc_config.h), the program doesn't compile.

Code:
$ make -f Makefile.linux
~~~~
~~~~
--- Linking
I'm using Slackware 11 with Sempron 2500+ CPU and GeForce FX 5500. I have all the support libraries installed (plib, glut, portaudio, sdl...). CRRCsim works really great without the audio control interface... But it is no fun flying with the mouse!

The error is indicating that the linker is having a hard time finding symbols that should be in the portaudio library. Looks to me like portaudio is not setup properly. Unfortunately without seeing more of the make output I can't say what's happening. Knowing that the linker didn't find a symbol isn't that helpful to me without knowing the gcc command line that caused the error.
caseih is online now Find More Posts by caseih
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:58 PM
Joined Aug 2004
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemus
Hello,

Code:
$ make -f Makefile.linux
~~~~
~~~~
--- Linking

I think you need to stick to portaudio version 18. They made some changes to the API in version 19.
kansky is offline Find More Posts by kansky
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:04 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
I just rediscovered this thread because I just hit the same snag trying to compile CRRCSIM 0.9.8 on my SabayonLinux box. Sure enough, I have portaudio version 19.something installed. I'm in the process of un-installing it and trying to get a portaudio version 18 ebuild installed in its place.

Artemus - until you get the audio input to CRRCSIM working, you have a few other alternatives. One is to use a cheap dual-joystick USB game controller as a fake "transmitter" (I used a "Logitech Dual Action USB Game Pad" with a couple of short bolts glued upside down onto the tips of the joysticks to better simulate the transmitter control length and feel). Another is to buy the Hitec USB flight simulator cable cable, which plugs into your transmitter and appears to the PC as a perfectly ordinary USB joystick: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKRZ3

Eliworm, thanks for the tip about Dreamlinux (which I was not familiar with). The only thing is, CRRCSIM needs OpenGL enabled - and only a few live-CD's enable OpenGL automatically. Ones I know of include Kororaa, SabayonLinux, and any others that automatically enable the fancy new accelerated desktops (wobbly windows, etc). Unfortunately life has been busy and I have put zero time or energy into the idea of a CRRCSIM live-CD since my last post on the subject.

-Flieslikeabeagle