HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:29 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
CRRCSim for Linux

Does anyone have anything to say about the
crrcsim. i was looking for a sim to use in linux. If there are any users out there could you give you thoughts here. thank you.

Here are some links for it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crrcsim

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...&words=CRRCSim

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2006, 12:43 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Hmm...three years late, maybe, but just in case: yes, I use CRRCSIM 0.9.6 on Gentoo Linux 2006.0. Compilation went smoothly and once I enabled the Nvidia drivers and OpenGL for my video card, CRRCSIM runs beautifully.

At the moment I'm using a Logitech Dual Action USB game pad as a controller. I hope to get something better going one of these days.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Jul 05, 2006, 05:58 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Flieslikeabeagle

Thank you for the timely reply. I couldn't get it to compile. That was a few years back though, and my knowledge of Linux was how should I say.....lacking. I had forgot about this post. You have me thinking I might give it another try.

Jim
Xandros user
Slackware user
and whatever distro I feel like playing with at the time.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 12:00 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Jim - you're welcome! I'm glad to find out you're still here on RCG!

I forgot to mention I have successfully used CRRCSIM on Slackware many months ago. I forget which version, but perhaps it was Slackware 9.

In general, I have had virtually no problems compiling software from source on Slackware, and on Gentoo. Every other distro I've tried has resulted in about a 30% success rate - there is almost always some missing library or something located in a non-standard location that the compiler cannot figure out. Xandros is heavily tweaked and I suspect would be a difficult distro to compile anything from source on.

This is off-topic, but I cannot resist mentioning it: I use Gentoo primarily because of the wonderful ease of software installation (everything is compiled, and large programs therefore take a long time to install, but all it takes to install, say, Firefox, is to type "emerge mozilla-firefox".

I've always suffered through the long and tedious Gentoo installation process though, which can take many hours as you compile everything from source. Recently I discovered a wonderful shortcut, in the form of Kororaa linux. There are two flavours of Kororaa, one a live CD with installer including the new XGL visual whizz-bang stuff, and one older two-CD installation set. If you install from either of these, you end up with a very nice and relatively complete Gentoo installation in minutes rather than hours - and "emerge myprogram" works just as flawlessly as it does if you install Gentoo the hard way.

Also a bit off-topic, I've often wished I had enough Linux knowledge to take one of the existing Linux live-CD's, and remaster it to include CRRCSIM, configured and working out of the box...that would really open up the audience for it!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Jul 10, 2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2006, 12:10 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
By the way, CRRCSIM 0.9.6 is a lot more sophisticated than the older versions I've tried. In particular, aircraft can now have real "skins" instead of being solid-coloured extrusions, and there is are graphical tools to configure the input (joystick, etc), select the model, etc.

Here are a few screenshots of CRRCSIM 0.9.6, showing one of the included sailplanes.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Jul 06, 2006, 06:15 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Thank you for the reply and the screen shots. I think as soon as I get a little time to try I will give it another shot. My main reason at the time was to train the kids on a sim and now that they all fly I had no need for a sim. But you know how it is with Linux, sometimes you just have to play.

Gentoo is one distro I haven't tried yet that I keep saying that I'm going to. I can't even count how many live CDs I've played with.

There is really nothing special tweaked on Xandros. I've compiled the basics like k3b, bzflag. and Open Office before with no trouble. Xandros is my everday computer but when I want to play geek I boot Slackware. I really like the look of xfce. I should use Slackware more. I just get lazy sometimes. Also thanks for the heads up on Kororaa. I'll check it out.

Jim
Old Jul 06, 2006, 11:30 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Apr 2004
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
By the way, CRRCSIM 0.9.6 is a lot more sophisticated than the older versions I've tried.

-Flieslikeabeagle
I agree. I rediscovered this sim after putting it away for a couple of years. I had previously purchased a (proprietary) interface from the designer of the sim, and lo and behold, it still works.

The newest version incorporates the slope racing course that had previously been an ad-on. This sim is still my favorite for any type of gliders as it includes open field thermaling, slope soaring, and dynamic-soaring.

Tracy
tracyj_brown is offline Find More Posts by tracyj_brown
Old Jul 06, 2006, 12:37 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm
Thank you for the reply and the screen shots.
You're welcome! It was a bit of a pain in the rear to fly the plane and take screen shots at the same time - hence some of the, umm, unusual attitudes of the model in flight.
Quote:
now that they all fly I had no need for a sim.
I can fly, but I still use a sim every time I want to learn a new skill or improve an old one. At the moment I'm working on knife-edge circuits and slow rolls, and I put in some of my practice on a sim, and some at the flying field.
Quote:
But you know how it is with Linux, sometimes you just have to play.
Back when I was the proverbial starving student, I used to keep my car running with parts from the junkyard. It was quite a rush, discovering perfectly good parts, very cheap, scattered through the junkyard like automotive easter eggs.

Linux gives me the same feeling. So much outstanding good stuff, and most of it free (as well as Free), just lying around for the picking in that huge big junkyard we call the Internet.
Quote:
There is really nothing special tweaked on Xandros.
<snip>
Xandros is my everday computer but when I want to play geek I boot Slackware.
<snip>
I should use Slackware more. I just get lazy sometimes.
My experience with Xandros was different than yours. I bought it hoping my wife would be able to get off Win98, and was severely disappointed - half the time it would not detect her USB keyboard, I could not get her Wacom tablet to work (though it worked flawlessly with just about every other distro I tried), the included KDE was an old version, and so on.

In the end my wife did get off Win98, via the much more expensive route of buying a Mac. I'm not a huge Mac fan, but at least I don't have to deal with a new virus every few days!

However, if Xandros meets your needs, hey, I'm happy for you. When it comes to computers, I'm firmly of the opinion that they're here to serve us, not the other way around, so the less work it takes to get one up and running as I like it, the better! I always disliked the slow and tedious Gentoo install, but continued to use it because it was the only distro I've found that let me install every oddball Linux app I wanted with no headaches - just a simple "emerge xcircuit", or "emerge qcad", or "emerge grace". Too bad there is no Gentoo ebuild for CRRCSIM - if there were, "emerge crrcsim" would do the job!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Jul 06, 2006, 12:42 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyj_brown
I had previously purchased a (proprietary) interface from the designer of the sim, and lo and behold, it still works.
Tracy, its nice when there are no "vendor lock out" dirty tricks, isn't it?

I'm currently using a Logitech USB dual action game pad. It is not a very good controller (poor A/D converter resolution, I suspect, as it is very "steppy" instead of being smoothly proportional). One of these days I need to try hooking up the buddy-box signal from my Tx to the sound card and using it as a simulator interface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyj_brown
This sim is still my favorite for any type of gliders as it includes open field thermaling, slope soaring, and dynamic-soaring.
I know little about gliders, but the powered models that come with CRRCSIM, while having realistic flight characteristics, are simulations of heavy glow models, and I don't much like the way they fly. I usually take the "sport.air" file and start hacking away mass, increasing thrust, moving the CG location, etc, until it flies more like my electric parkflyers do. With that done, the powered model(s) can be a lot of fun to fly, too.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Jul 06, 2006, 05:42 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Quote:
I can fly, but I still use a sim every time I want to learn a new skill or improve an old one. At the moment I'm working on knife-edge circuits and slow rolls, and I put in some of my practice on a sim, and some at the flying field.
Yes, that is a good point.

Quote:
My experience with Xandros was different than yours. I bought it hoping my wife would be able to get off Win98, and was severely disappointed - half the time it would not detect her USB keyboard, I could not get her Wacom tablet to work (though it worked flawlessly with just about every other distro I tried), the included KDE was an old version, and so on.
Isn't it funny how these things work. We have our house network setup with four computers both wireless and wired. All computers are dual or triple boot and Xandros is the backbone to the system. You just never know.

The only real trouble that I can think I've had (that wasn't my fault ) I had a ATI all in wonder Radeon that I could not get the TV to work the same time with 3D acceleration. It was one or the other but not both.
Quote:
but at least I don't have to deal with a new virus every few days!
Amen to that. It's nice to be able to use your computer instead of fighting it all the time.

I downloaded the sim last night. Now I need some time. I have been trying to get a new kit released and that takes much of the day. You look at the clock and before you know it 24 hours is gone.

Jim

[QUOTE=flieslikeabeagl]
Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2004
645 Posts
I use crrcsim quite a bit (looking to buy a sailplane now), but I'd also like
a heli simulator. Do any of the commercial/proprietary simulators run under
Wine (win32 api) on Linux? Quite a few games do, even with DirectX, but
I don't want to buy RealFlight3D and discover I can't run it.

?,
-edfardos
edfardos is offline Find More Posts by edfardos
Old Jul 19, 2006, 07:07 AM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Hmm...three years late, maybe, but just in case: yes, I use CRRCSIM 0.9.6 on Gentoo Linux 2006.0. Compilation went smoothly and once I enabled the Nvidia drivers and OpenGL for my video card, CRRCSIM runs beautifully.
-Flieslikeabeagle
Mr. likeabeagle, I finally managed to compile this program, and it doesn't run because it can't get a screen it likes. Your post made me realize it might be OpenGL that is keeping it from working. Any hints on what "once I enabled the Nvidia drivers and OpenGL for my video card" entails?
Thanks,
Eric
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:48 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
Mr. Beagle, I took what I learned from your comment and got CRRCSim to work for the first time. Now I just have to figure out how to use my TX with it.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Jul 25, 2006, 06:00 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfardos
I use crrcsim quite a bit (looking to buy a sailplane now), but I'd also like
a heli simulator. Do any of the commercial/proprietary simulators run under
Wine (win32 api) on Linux? Quite a few games do, even with DirectX, but
I don't want to buy RealFlight3D and discover I can't run it.

?,
-edfardos
What about X-Plane? Runs well on linux natively (if you have an NVidia GPU anyway, it fights with ATI). The only R/C heli I know of is a Raptor, though... I must get around to doing a T-Rex.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Jul 26, 2006, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2000
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor
What about X-Plane? Runs well on linux natively (if you have an NVidia GPU anyway, it fights with ATI). The only R/C heli I know of is a Raptor, though... I must get around to doing a T-Rex.
The X-Plane documentation doesn't say much about what type of controls it supports. I have played with the demo on linux, but I was not able to find out if there is any way to connect a transmitter to it.

I would really have to contend that for a program to be considered an r/c simulator that it must have a way to connect an r/c transmitter. One of the handy things with crrcsim is the audio input for the controller. for about $2.00 i was able to build the cable to connect my transmitter to the computer
gwenbeth is offline Find More Posts by gwenbeth