HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:45 PM
Arkansas
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
logo 20 pilots/lubricating upper motor bearing

i've noted in the past several pilots recommending (& makes sense!) putting a drop of oil on the bearings of the motor- in my case, hacker B50-16XL b4 flying for the day. when said motor is mounted in the heli, the upper bearing cannot be lubricated 'cause the pinion covers the bearing & mount restricts access. this is something of a pain- does anyone have 'simple' solution for this situation? lower bearing is not a problem because it's in the open. it would be 'nice' if the manufacturer(s) would use sealed bearings in these applications- can't cost them that much to put good sealed bearings in the motor!!! thx. in advance for the help. don. austin
don. austin is offline Find More Posts by don. austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:42 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
HI Don,

While it's admirable to want to keep the bearing lubricated, adding oil to the original grease tends to flush it out. MotorMike, amongst others, recommends not doing this. My own regimine is to pull the bearings if there's any sign of trouble, take measurements to order replacements, and then re-grease with "the greaser".

Cheers!
Glen Peden
http://www.logoheli.com
Visit the LOGOmaniac Forums
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden