HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:20 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
New Product
Mini War Birds from Sky Angel ~ 9/03/13 ~ Grob and PC21 Studio Shots

Sky Angel, a JPower company, will soon be releasing a series of mini war birds. Banana Hobby had samples of several of the models to be released at the 2011 AMA Expo last weekend. Here are a few photos of the various models to be released. I hope to get samples in the next few weeks and will post media here and additional details as I get them.

EDIT (2/28/11) ~ Videos and more stills added

EDIT (3/20/2011) ~ Photos of three more models added ... P40, P47 and F4U

EDIT (3/27/2011) ~ Spitfire Video added

EDIT (6/29/11) ~ Next four models (F4U,F4F, P-40 and P-47) received; Photos posted in my RCG Blog HERE

EDIT (7/15/11) ~ Studio photos of F4F added

EDIT (7/16/11) ~ Inflight photos of F4F and P-47

EDIT (7/23/11) ~ Inflight photos of F4U added

EDIT (8/06/11) ~ Studio photos of P-40 added

EDIT (8/06/11) ~ In-Flight shots of P-40 added

EDIT (8/11/11) ~ New mini war bird models coming next confirmed : A1 Skyraider, Sea Fury and the P-38!! Photos coming soon hopefully!

EDIT (8/11/11) ~ Replacement cowls for Rare Bear, servo covers (and other cool plastic parts too!) available from GLM @ MorganRC

EDIT (10/20/11) ~ Box art artwork for new A1 Skyraider and Sea Fury added

EDIT (10/31/11) ~ How To Successfully Launch these War Birds ~ How To Successfully Hand Launch Your RC Models

EDIT (11/05/11) ~ Studio Photos of the Skyraider and Sea Fury ~ HDFlyer Workbench Update ~ Skyraider and Sea Fury

EDIT (11/05/11) ~ A sample of the new Mini P-38 is on the way and in US Customs. We hope to have it in the next few days, depending on how long the boys in blue want to ogle it!

EDIT (12/03/12) ~ P-38 Has Arrived! First photos of kit:

EDIT: (09/03/12) ~ Studio Photos of Grob and PC21added HERE

Sky Angel Mini War Bird ~ Rare Bear (2 min 0 sec)

Sky Angels Mini War Bird ~ T-28 Trojan (6 min 57 sec)

Sky Angels Mini WarBird Series MeBf109 (6 min 54 sec)

Sky Angel Mini Spitfire (2 min 22 sec)

Sony AX2000 Smoth Slow Record Mode Sample Clips (1 min 7 sec)

(Slo Mo launch of the Corsair ~ last clip on the video)

Sky Angel Skyraider Mini War Bird (2 min 25 sec)
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bajora; Sep 03, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Jun 2009
28 Posts
Nice! Will these have brushed or brushless motors?
Andy
ahowrylak1 is offline Find More Posts by ahowrylak1
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:03 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Brushless for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:11 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
So far not very impressed... way out of scale

Why does J-Power seems to do far better jobs with EDF rather than with Warbirds ??

Everyone complains on the poor quality of the P38 and P51D while the EDF have always been much better appreciated ....
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:09 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
What wing span are we looking at?
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:18 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,120 Posts
and that color on the 109 is really ugly saw it at the ama show
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:19 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,753 Posts
yeap, they are not nice looking birds, maybe you get them free with Happy Meals
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:58 PM
Joined Sep 2003
366 Posts
They are even uglier in real life. Saw them at the last AMA show and they are horrifically out of scale. Not even remotely close. It would be a shame if they are really JPower because even the foam quality was very poor. Too bad; these could have been great. I would have bought 2 or 3 myself.
addict is offline Find More Posts by addict
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:59 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
You guys are super critical. I have to say something here and I am going to. I hear many of you gripe about "SCALE SCALE SCALE" all over the boards. Although I do know what you are saying and looking at, I have to disagree with many of your harsh comments. If you want SCALE, go buy a PLASTIC model kit from Tamiya and build and sit it on your table. Am I going to be harsh here, I sure am. For those of you that have NO CLUE how much work and what the process is that goes into making a "chunk of foam" actually FLY and perform well, I hope those of you will sit back and stop some of the "Scale" bashing some.

This new line of J-Power Mini Warbirds are Superb. In many instances, there is NO WAY to 100% Scale Down a full size aircraft to an RC size and have it actually FLY. Having said that, now we scale them down even further to a Mini size. Every aspect of the aircraft from aerodynamics to each size of the wing to the fuselage changes to make a Great Flying Aircraft. Please do not compare these models to those of Parkzone. These Mini's are not the FOAM Parkzone utilizes. These are EPO and have an airfoil on the main wings. You all want durability so we chose EPO. With EPO comes with additional weight which will change design concepts once again. With the Mini size, it makes a flying model all the more difficult.

The key point in these Mini Warbirds are affordability and performance. They are not 100% "True to Scale" as many of you want. However, having said that, when you look at the AT-6, you know it is an AT-6. When you look at the P-51, she's a P-51. Some of you are making it sound like these flying models are so horrific that you can hardly recognize them. Personally, I am Super excited about this line. The AT-6 looks fantastic as do the Rare Bare and the P-51. All across the board they look great. There are still color changes of course for a few of the models such as the 109. This is the problem when I bring preproduction samples to a show. It is to "show" what is coming. Not for bashing about color, scale, etc. I know this is an open forum and people are free to say what you wish. By all means, go for it. Hence I chose to speak what I feel. The warbirds come in a squarish box needing only the tail section to be glued. Depending on model, a 11.1v 20C 850mAh is included for under $100.00 US dollars. I have flown the Rare Bare and the AT-6 already. You have to see this performance in person to know what I am talking about. The Rare Bare is pushing 80mph on a level pass all BOX STOCK. Performance is nothing like I have ever seen in this size and price ever. Here are a few pics of a few of them at the field. This gives a better perspective.

I am not here to tweak anyone's shorts. I however feel the need to speak up when we and the manufacturer has worked hard to bring a product line to reality. Be nice here. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There is no need to bash.

Regards,

Pete

banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:02 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
Whoa... gimme a Rare Bear!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:12 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,120 Posts
Pete is right all the planes look like a warbird. If you guys can do better then go through all the stuff that he does to get these planes. And your right about having a 100% scale airplane. You know how are these would fly if they were 100% scale. They wouldnt. These are soppose to be fun warbirds to bash around at your local field or park. I think they all look great. Im down to buy the Rarebear. Thanks Pete for bringing these to the market.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:19 PM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
Sign Me up.... They look good... Send me one,
I will try it out and write a review.
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:24 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,120 Posts
Just waiting for then to post on the website.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:36 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Pete, I agree.

And thanks for posting the photos here.

I was hoping to get samples of all these new mini warbirds soon but Jalin has been very busy and was only able to get two on the way to me before CNY. When he sent me the original photos of them, he mentioned that they had played around with using 4s on one of them and the speed on the stock power system was insane! I know a lot of you love speed and thought for the price point you would be thrilled to get these new mini warbirds.

I like all of the discussuon here on RCG but I sometimes get the feeling that folks start the scale bashing if for no other reason than because they think it is somehow chic to complain about it? Not bashing anyone specifically here but just saying that I think you have to look at all of the factors that go into getting a model from the drawing board into production and ending up with a product that actually flies well. If you think you know how to do it better, I suggest doing just that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bajora; Feb 01, 2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Edit .... TWO on the way, not one
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:39 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
I REALLY wanted Jalin to hook me up with the Bear! I am loving that one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:30 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Whoa... gimme a Rare Bear!
Me first. I reckon we can could get that little Bear to crack 100mph.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:47 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
With 4s on the stock power system, you will do it no problem is what I am told
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:53 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Pete, I agree.

And thanks for posting the photos here.

I was hoping to get samples of all these new mini warbirds soon but Jalin has been very busy and was only able to get two on the way to me before CNY. When he sent me the original photos of them, he mentioned that they had played around with using 4s on one of them and the speed on the stock power system was insane! I know a lot of you love speed and thought for the price point you would be thrilled to get these new mini warbirds.

I like all of the discussuon here on RCG but I sometimes get the feeling that folks start the scale bashing if for no other reason than because they think it is somehow chic to complain about it? Not bashing anyone specifically here but just saying that I think you have to look at all of the factors that go into getting a model from the drawing board into production and ending up with a product that actually flies well. If you think you know how to do it better, I suggest doing just that.
Thanks for posting the thread Jon. I'm glad you can speak up about how things work as well. I am just so tired of sitting back and reading all the negative about a product when so many have no clue what is involved in a production. This new line of Mini Warbirds, or "Pocket Fighters" Which I named them, are going to be a BLAST for all to fly. I have not tested them on 4s and I however can definitely see them breaking triple digits for sure. Especially the Rare Bear. That airframe is so Rigid. I put a few flights on her and I am just floored at how fast and responsive she is. All across the board, I love these birds. All of them. I think the big spinner throws off the scale a bit so I took the spinner off the T-28 and the AT-6 and they sure look much more scale and aggressive. I love these smallies and for bang for the buck, there's nothing else like them. China is on break for some time now for CNY. Happy New Year to all!

Thanks for many of you with the positive feedback. I and we are working hard to make you guys happy. I love all the feedback. Good or bad. Just keep it friendly is all we ask.

Regards,

Pete
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
what are the wingspans of the AT-6 and Bearcat?
aferguson is offline Find More Posts by aferguson
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:54 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Really hopping here and off subject a little, but...Pete and Mr.Barnes, both of you are in the know with JPower and Jalin...is there any chance of remolding the wings on the 50mm EDF's like the planes here??
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
as far as the look of the planes goes....they don't look that bad at all. Don't be fooled by the pictures Sky Angel shows, like those in the first post of this thread. They are terrible, it's the same with their 50mm edf's. The pictures are awful and make the planes look distorted but they actually look much better.

Whether the pics are of early prototypes or what i don't know, but they'd be doing themselves a service to take better ones.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2004
15 Posts
where do I pre-order that P-51?
smackdn775 is offline Find More Posts by smackdn775
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:29 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
It is not that I want those mini warbirds to be scale (95% of RC warbirds on the market aren't), but I want them to look scale and not toyish...

Not bashing anyone here, I have four J-power/Skyangel EDF plus the P38, they all fly great and I'm a big fan of Jalin's products, but It's sometimes just a question of small details and tweaking to make a plane look good... or not.

In this case a bit more attention to the spinner choice and to the paint scheme would have make them look more convincing with minimum extra cost or engineering time... my 2c
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:29 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
What? No retracts? C'mon Pete I need at least 2 of these. Great job and thanks for all your efforts.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:43 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,110 Posts
These look like sweet little parkies that you can keep in your car and fly as time allows.

Pete, I'll have a Spitfire please.

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:22 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
Pete,

I like the BearCat!

Neat little planes!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:39 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,718 Posts
Yep, folks might have come across as too critical in the first few posts but it's mostly a matter of perspective and the amount of information that was NOT given.

Two posts have questioned the size of these planes (#5 & #19) but weren't answered that I can see. I think that most of us understand that as these little planes get smaller, the need to deviate from scale is more in order to get good flight performance so their size is important information.

They look to be in the 22" - 25" span range. If under $100.00 or so for the outfit, that makes them more appealing.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:56 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
As small but far better looking:http://www.ready2fly.com/shop/USER_A...e&Ziel_ID=1075

Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Now go create WW1 planes and I'll be interested...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:41 AM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
902 Posts
love the Bear that looks fast just standing still .... will be ordering one fer sure (assuming it flies) lol

Would like to see more pics especially of the Spit as well..

Manu yes the BF is more scale but it's EPS.. so confettie the 1st time it hits the ground..
have a look at the nitroplanes / FMS 800mm EPO for something more alike ..
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:13 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
I recvd the T28 and 109 yesterday. I will post some photos ASAP.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:22 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
John, I missed it earlier... what size batteries? Thanks.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:41 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Moi?

If yes, I should have more info tonite.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:19 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
What? No retracts? C'mon Pete I need at least 2 of these. Great job and thanks for all your efforts.
LOL! Okay I will work on retracts too! haha I already have been! It's just another added complexity and we wanted to keep these simple!

Regards,

Pete
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:21 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
I recvd the T28 and 109 yesterday. I will post some photos ASAP.

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the photos! Please tell me your thoughts Jon! Thanks!

Regards,

Pete
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:38 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
Mr. Barnnes - yes I was addressing you

Pete - the retracts were a joke, no sweat, OK? I love the size and I think these will be great for that speed need that I've gotten. The smaller the plane the faster they feel. My other secrete for faster planes is...

Fly in a smaller park!

Watching closely...
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:28 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
I'm going to make a video for the Rare Bear tomorrow! No review or anything, just a few flight on tape is all!

Pete
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:49 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Then you will send it to me, right Pete?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:58 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
The plane that is...not the video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
what are the wingspans of the bearcat and AT-6?
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:43 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
I received two of the new Sky Angel mini war birds this week ... the T-28 and the ME109. The color of the ME109 will of course need a little tweaking, as it's desert camo has more of an orange-ish tint than a brown one.

To start with , here are some shots of the T28 ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:04 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
And a few quick photos of the 109. I will delve deeper into it for more photos soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:54 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,200 Posts
for the insane cult following , we can add retracts ,
Hobby lobby makes really tiny mechanicals or you can try the micro great plane retracts ,
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:10 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
I have no idea what a York peppermint Pattie is. Could you maybe put your radio next to it and take a pic?
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:11 AM
lud
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
I have no idea what a York peppermint Pattie is. ?
one of these ??
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:32 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Then you will send it to me, right Pete?
Sure thing!! Go stand in your front yard and I will set the GPS cords and let her free flight to you! When you are done with the video, free flight her back to me!
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:07 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,120 Posts
That T-28 doesnt look bad at all Just get rid of that big spinner
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,539 Posts
Wow, these are some cool planes. Get'em out and I'll buy one or two

I commend manufacturers like Sky Angel in this hobby for putting up with all the $#$% from looky loos who can't put together a scale plane and expect perfection under $100...

Go back a few years to what was coming out from other manufacturers, we thought that stuff was the bomb since it was small and we could fly it at the park. Was it "scale"? Not as good as this but its fun to have a Zero, P-51 or AT-6 that looks close. The Sky Angel planes are much closer IMHO.

You want Scale? go buy a DVD of Scalemasters and see the carnage that ensues from "scale" and big $$$ lost.

I want to have fun!
wyldkrd is online now Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:08 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,120 Posts
Pete put the Rarebear up first on the site so I can buy it
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
what are the wingspans of the Bearcat and AT-6?
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:11 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,477 Posts
BearCat! BearCat! BearCat!

C'mon - I need..........

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:07 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
[@Aferguson] Click on the box picture of the T-28 above... 650mm or 25 3/5"...

And to me, also... battery is 20c 3s 850mah.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:36 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
That T-28 doesnt look bad at all Just get rid of that big spinner
Yeah, I am hoping I have a regular prop adaptor to fit this motor shaft...so the spinner can go bye bye.

Quote:
I have no idea what a York peppermint Pattie is. Could you maybe put your radio next to it and take a pic?
Better?

(PM me your address and I will send you a few York PPs!!:P)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:15 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Excellent. Thanks for doing that. Appreciate the offer but I don't like peppermint. From the pics i think I'll have a T-28 and a Rare Bear.

PS and a Spitty.
Last edited by ozzi supercub; Feb 04, 2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Just noticed Spitfire pic
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:52 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hobby View Post
You guys are super critical.
Sorry but these birds looks like scaled up Silverlit/Aero ace planes.
They are probably good planes but they look cheap compared to
a 130$ Hobby Lobby/Kyosho aiRium RTF who look like the real bird.

As a seller YOU should now that Your prospective customer are
always right and not complain about critisism
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Feb 05, 2011, 04:50 AM
lud
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
902 Posts
scale or not... I think these will sell well .. you dont like em, dont buy em..
That's your choice as a purchasor

The arium modles are EPS better detail, less weight n more fragile .. Try comparing apple n apples .

I've a 510mm EPP mustang that is a blast to fly, perfect for throwing on the back seat of the car when your out for the day you can stuff it in a bag n go walking with it .. my only complaint is that it's a profile fuse ..

I want Small, EPO, reasonable looks These little monsters would appear to fit the bill perfectly for me ...

JMO Lud
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:11 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY View Post
As a seller YOU should now that Your prospective customer are
always right and not complain about critisism
I think the phrase actually goes that the "Customer is always right"

Slipping the word "prospective" in there really changes things IMO. Folks who say they do not like the way a product looks will probably not buy it and truthfully, isn't it hard to predict if they would have bought it under ANY circumstances?

Everybody who visits a thread like this is probably not necessarily a prospective customer. Maybe in the BROADEST interpretation but then again they could just be cruising the threads here on RCG with absolutely no intent to buy anything?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
well, some of these look pretty good (t-28, bearcat, at-6) and some not so much (109 is awful, imo). But to each their own.

These mini sized warbirds, from a variety of manufacturers, seem to be catching on and that's fine by me. Small to transport and store and hopefully wider variety due to lower price point. Hurricanes, Tempests, p-39's, wildcats and any japanese fighter (except another zero) would be cool. Russian fighters would be cool too.

I'd still like to know the wingspan of the bearcat and AT-6.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:39 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
I wouldn't let the color of the 109 put you off? As Pete mentioned ... these are samples. I am hopeful that the colors will get amended in the production planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Sep 2003
366 Posts
Pete, I agree with Bajora. The 109 is probably the least 'scale' looking of these neat little birds, but that could be drastically improved by just giving it a different paint scheme.

If you want to go another step, just change the spinner (109's have unique spinners) and I think at that point you will convert a lot more of the me-109 fans into hard sales.

Looking forward to flight reviews y'all.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:11 AM
$%^& Happens!!
USA, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
These will make great mini pylon racers. Watch out light poles here we come!!

I am in for a couple
FlyingVltchkr is offline Find More Posts by FlyingVltchkr
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:21 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
Mini Reno Racing! Yehaw!
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:07 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,120 Posts
http://www.bananahobby.com/2134.html
http://www.bananahobby.com/2135.html
http://www.bananahobby.com/2133.html
Old Feb 05, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
ah very good, thanks for posting those links.

i imagine the production versions will have clear canopies, since the t-28 and 109 do? But whatever, no a huge deal.

Look good to me.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:08 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
660 Posts
Why the negative comments? Any company that releases smaller warbirds captures my interest. I never fly anything over 30 inch wingspan, in fact 30 inches is too big. 20-25 inch ws seems to be the sweet spot for me. The smaller birds fly better IMO, and they handle wind just fine, especially warbirds.

Not to mention the places I fly are no good for bigger models. I'd like to see a zero or better yet, another Japanese warbird for something different. If they release a better paint on that 109 I will buy one....They look plenty scale enough for me, in the air they will look right.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:10 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,345 Posts
I got to see the Bearcat briefly yesterday, but could not stick around to see it fly.

The largest problem I have with it, is that I now want one...
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:13 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
660 Posts
Any chance of them releasing some WWI stuff? I'd be all over that, perfect size planes.

A spad would be so cool.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:24 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
I want the little Reno style racer for sure. I'll assume that with most of the descriptions the speed has been over estimated but, they should still be a blast. If they do go 80+ they will be twitchy little things. I'd like to see a bigger 40+ incher too since the bigger planes fly better and are more stable when setup correctly.
kuczy is online now Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:55 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I want the little Reno style racer for sure. I'll assume that with most of the descriptions the speed has been over estimated but, they should still be a blast. If they do go 80+ they will be twitchy little things. I'd like to see a bigger 40+ incher too since the bigger planes fly better and are more stable when setup correctly.
We flew about 5 packs through the ME109 tonite. 80 mph? Hmmmm .... maybe not the ME109 but an honest 65-70 we guesstimate? It is a ton of fun! The fact that the color on the sample is a little off is a minor issue IMO. Don and I both had a blast ripping around the skies with this thing. Vertical is for the most part umlimited. We shot some video and I will try to throw something together ASAP.

Jalin came out of the gate in 2010 with the Sky Angel 50mm EDFS ... one year later, they are still growing in popularity to my perception. Now Sky Angel is kicking 2011 0ff with the introduction of these mini war birds. After flying this one tonight, I think they are another big hit brewing. Big time fun in an amazingly small package. Heck, throw one under the front seat of your car for lunchtime flying!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
Good to here Bajora! I had a blast with my AMX 50mm when they first came out and on 4s Wemo/Don's Wicked it was even better. I can't wait for the 40mm Mig and I need the Racer for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:19 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Here is Eagle Tree data of the ME109. I am using a Thunder Power G4 45C 3S 850mAH pack. Don (AKA as Lipo Abuser ) flew it for a couple flights too and the packs came down barely warm. AUW came in at 11.8 ounces. That works out to around 180 watts per pound (I used a max watts value of 135 watts from the data below)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:35 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Why the huge vertical stab? The aileron servos through the top of the wing are a great idea. I have been doing this for years. The huge removable hatch is also a great idea. Good on you J-power.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:32 AM
lud
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
902 Posts
yeah .. im cracking on that scale isnt everything yada yada ...............
but that tail plane looks like it was stolen from a ME262 n put on as an afterthought !!!
The 109 fuse cant be that yaw unstable CANT IT ?????

I'm still intent on the Bear ...
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:26 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Sky Angels Mini WarBird Series MeBf109 (6 min 54 sec)

True story ...

A guy taking an afternoon run in the area where we are flying the 109 comes over and comments on the planes we have setting around our cars and then says "Wow, that is a cool little Messerschmitt 109!" ... as it rips by at full throttle ... complete with its "off" color scheme and HUGE vertical stabilizer.

We had a lot of fun with it yesterday and were amazed at how well it flew. It made us both grin. If the prices I am seeing Pete post up at BH are real, I think many of you will also grin at what you get for south of one hundred bucks. And at how well it moves out for that price.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bajora; Feb 06, 2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Text added
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:55 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
Bajora, did this come with a throw-down radio? Glad to hear about the grins. Did you fly the T-28 yet? Oh, yeah... can I be your friend to? Just feeling a little jealously about your good fortune
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:34 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Ha ha .... wish you were closer. We could always use another willing hand with our little projects.

No radio included with the samples I recvd. Servos and power system were installed and all that I had to do was install a receiver and glue the airframe together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
Very nice. I definitely want at least the Rare Bear and T-28.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:49 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,477 Posts
Has anybody found the link for All spare parts are available for the RareBear on Banana Hobbies web site? That seems to be where they sell the kit sans the electronic equipment. Don't want the Tx... Probably so new they haven't got it there yet... Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Feb 06, 2011, 02:30 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
I like the looks of this little 109 model. I think that the bigger stabs actually improve on the appearance of the real plane, which I always thought was funny-looking, with seemingly disproportionate small stabs. I like the orange color too. Easier to see than dull beige...so I wouldn't have to throw on tape stripes to help see it (like I had to do on that blasted dark-all-over Blue-Angels paint-job on the little J-Power F/A-18).

The T-28 is really cute too. The only one of these models I really don't like the look of is the T-6. That painted-on canopy looks like a rotten pineapple or something. Hopefully if they do a Zero, it will have a clear canopy...because it would have that same issue.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:36 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
Awww heck - the Rare Bear just jumped into the cart and yanked on the PP account. Dog-gone-it! I would have been happy with the ME109 after seeing BAJORA's video, maybe I will have enough lunch money saved up again when the 109 is available

The P-51 or the Rare Bear or the ME109 - they all look like a bunch of fun!
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:02 AM
lud
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
902 Posts
Man I keep hovering over the checkout ... bear $158 shipped to me in the UK... not sure i have the self control to not hit paynow ..lol
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:37 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
Do it..do it...do it...do it!
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:06 AM
lud
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
902 Posts
awww shucks Jim this is ALL your fault ... I tried to stop myself but failed dismally .. should have a bear sometime in Feb (if they are instock n shipping) I do hope the packs I have for my F-86 fit in there ok..
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:37 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
Thanks to you LUD, I can tell my wife that all the cool kids have ordered one and that I HAD to order one, too.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:46 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
I got a chance to fly the 109 over the weekend, and I must say I was impressed. If the other planes in the series fly anything like this one, I don't think they will stay on the shelves of the local hobby shop for too long. The fun factor and performance the ME109 had for its price point was quite good. It seems when I fly any of the J-Power minis, I always walk away from them thinking to myself how I should go home and order one for myself. I've managed to resist up until this point, but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold out LOL

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:39 PM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Maybe I read over it, but are these new planes 4ch or 3ch? In the pics of the Texan, I only see one servo towards the back.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:44 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
If you force yourself to watch my video from end to end w/o FF'ing , you'll see me comment and illudtrate that they are 3 channel. (ail, ele and throttle)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:26 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,584 Posts
Quote:
If you force yourself to watch my video from end to end w/o FF'ing , you'll see me comment and illudtrate that they are 3 channel. (ail, ele and throttle)
Real warbirds have rudder. Is it prepared/possible for a rudder mod.?
(space for servo & rods etc.)
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:57 PM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Quote:
LOL! Guilty! That's too bad, I'm sure it's an easy mod. Just shows Banana Hobbies is false advertising... No surprise there.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:06 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Well, to their defense, I have two different airframes than the 3 that they have listed on their web site. Both of mine are 3 channel.

Sorry Ed! Just trying to make the video believable, even though Pete and I live about 400 miles apart.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:41 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I am hoping I have a regular prop adaptor to fit this motor shaft...so the spinner can go bye bye.
What is the diameter of the motor shaft? 2,3mm? or 3mm?
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:41 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck View Post
What is the diameter of the motor shaft? 2,3mm? or 3mm?
Expect 3mm or 3.17 (imperial units) 2mm is for very small planes
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:35 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
3.17 mm = 1/8"
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,516 Posts
When are we going to see the t-28... it looks awsome...

They Need to do a Focke wolf fw190, and a Zero... those would be two great flying planes...
ministeve2003 is offline Find More Posts by ministeve2003
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:18 AM
Joined Sep 2003
366 Posts
Why do some of them have clear canopies and others don't?
Some look better than others; the 109 is almost beyond saving, but Pete has a point; sometimes that's what it takes to make a good flying model at the given scale. The 109 video looks like it's one darn good flyer.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Why the huge vertical stab? The aileron servos through the top of the wing are a great idea. I have been doing this for years. The huge removable hatch is also a great idea. Good on you J-power.
A scale stab makes for very tough handling on an ME109, but the stab on this one looks much much too large. The orange paint looks awful, too.
I have several of the Jpower 50mm jets and love them, but the looks on these are way way off. I'm not a scale nut, but these look too cartoony.
Try the FMS Me109 or Corsair from
nitromodels.com
Or the Micro Corsair or Mustang from
easytigermodels.com

I have all four. They are not perfect. The 109 and Corsair from FMS are somewhat underpowered, and both are very tailheavy out of the box. Best to change out the power system and put in a 3s battery before even flying them. But they fly well.
The Micro Corsair and Mustang are tops on looks, but both are also very tailheavy right out of the box. You need to know this before trying to fly them. But for shoebox sized fun, they cannot be beat.

I think there are a lot of excuses being posted for why these are so far from scale, but the truth is they are really just badly drawn and unless you are trying to make a fighter into a trainer, there is no reason to deviate so far from the real plane. Sorry, try better next time, Jpower.
As I said, I have several Jpower 50mm jets, and I like them very much, but these warbirds don't look good at all.
Hold out, there will be more better planes coming from others.
urbanarch is offline Find More Posts by urbanarch
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
The one that Bajora flew was a test plane and not a production model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanarch View Post
A scale stab makes for very tough handling on an ME109, but the stab on this one looks much much too large. The orange paint looks awful, too.
I have several of the Jpower 50mm jets and love them, but the looks on these are way way off. I'm not a scale nut, but these look too cartoony.
Try the FMS Me109 or Corsair from
nitromodels.com
Or the Micro Corsair or Mustang from
easytigermodels.com

I have all four. They are not perfect. The 109 and Corsair from FMS are somewhat underpowered, and both are very tailheavy out of the box. Best to change out the power system and put in a 3s battery before even flying them. But they fly well.
The Micro Corsair and Mustang are tops on looks, but both are also very tailheavy right out of the box. You need to know this before trying to fly them. But for shoebox sized fun, they cannot be beat.

I think there are a lot of excuses being posted for why these are so far from scale, but the truth is they are really just badly drawn and unless you are trying to make a fighter into a trainer, there is no reason to deviate so far from the real plane. Sorry, try better next time, Jpower.
As I said, I have several Jpower 50mm jets, and I like them very much, but these warbirds don't look good at all.
Hold out, there will be more better planes coming from others.
Good comment and observations on the others available. I have not owned or flown them. If you don't like the looks of these, it is best to vote with your wallet and exercise your right to refuse to buy them.

But, while you are waiting for the next better thing to come along, I'll be busy having some fun ripping around the skies with a few of these.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:02 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
Bajora, have you tried 4s yet? I'm dying over here and I need some news on these pocket fighters. I have watched your video so much that I have almost worn it out.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:43 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6,280 Posts
I don't mind the looks of them at all. I have a Gravity Zero and i have a hot setup in it and in the air when it goes hauling by I've never heard anyone say that looks bad. Mainly they are just amazed at the way it flies and looks in the air. They're so small and quick that you couldn't make out any details at 50' if you tried.
RCG Plus Member