HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I did a search on "fastest" and it seems that the rare bear gets the most vote. I've always wondered why this is the case, as the fuselage is quite fat.

I'm not well versed in the area of aerodynamic, but shouldn't the slimmer spitfire cut through the air better?
Sea-Fury is about same speed as the Rare-Bear , cutting the big draggy radiator off the leading edge of the wing helps , its my favourite of the bunch
mrgriz is offline Find More Posts by mrgriz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:48 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgriz View Post
Sea-Fury is about same speed as the Rare-Bear , cutting the big draggy radiator off the leading edge of the wing helps , its my favourite of the bunch
Thanks. Interesting... and I see the sea-fury on sale on HobbyB, going for 67.90 for the PNP.
http://www.hobbyb.com/new-release-sk...html?cPath=119

and then there is the rarebear kit + motor going for about US $55 at HK

At the moment, I'm leaning on the the Spitfire kit + motor from my LHS, going about SGD 50, which is about USD 40, and I do not need to pay shipping. The beauty with these things is that they are so small that I can sneak in 1 more after the spit.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Last edited by miketre; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:55 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgood View Post
Hi Guys,
Here is my RareBear with Morgan Mill,winglets and servo
rod covers,does clean it up ,and makes it looks really nice,
less drag they say,if anyone is interested look them up on their site!
DB
Thanks for the bump DB!

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:08 AM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Thanks for the bump DB!

Cheers!

Gary
Your very welcome Gary,they look great...
just ordered them last week from you,
you probably remember talking to me!!
Dan
DB
dbgood is offline Find More Posts by dbgood
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:10 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by miketre
"I did a search on "fastest" and it seems that the rare bear gets the most vote. I've always wondered why this is the case, as the fuselage is quite fat
I'm not well versed in the area of aerodynamic, but shouldn't the slimmer spitfire cut through the air better?"
I asked the same question some months ago and the lack of panel lines on the Bear was given as the reason for it's higher top speed
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:35 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,477 Posts
As to the higher speed question between the RareBear and the Spitfire.

I think the higher speed of the RareBear has to do with a combination of things - wing and fuse shape mostly.

It is said that the sphere is natures favorite aerodynamic shape - the necessity of changing direction with the addition of an elevator and rudder requires something to hang them on - hence the teardrop shape - sphere on the front and tail on the back.

If you look at the shape of the fuse on the Bear it most resembles a wing in comparison to a Spitfire, Mustang or SeaFury - the latter being the closest. Really the only other contenders to a Bear. The tough part about making the SeaFury faster is the servo rods and horns not being inline with direction of flight - and at the ends of the wing. If I could clean that up and get rid of the radiator thing on the leading edge it might be fast - maybe even as fast.

In addition to that - the shape of the wing on a Spitfire while being beautiful and probably having better turning ability might also have more vortex drag associated with it than the Bear. All the clipped or square winged examples are faster. And faster yet with winglets and rod covers...

The fastest piston engined aircraft was RareBear in 1989 - 528.31mph.

Having said all that - it remains to be seen... I love a mystery! and a contest of course.

Cheers!

Gary
Last edited by GLM; Feb 13, 2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:01 AM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Anyone have a pic of battery and electronics placement prefferably in the mustang, others would likely be similar so that would be fine also
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:26 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
snoshoe62, I'll take some photos in a few hours when I'm at home.

GLM, do you sell winglets and servo covers for the other birds?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:07 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Though ugly, my F4F Wildcat was damn fast and very stable despite its clunky shape. May it rest it peace. I've only flown my RB once so I haven't got a feel for it yet.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:10 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgood View Post
Hi Guys,
Here is my RareBear with Morgan Mill,winglets and servo
rod covers,does clean it up ,and makes it looks really nice,
less drag they say,if anyone is interested look them up on their site!
DB
I have used them and they made a pretty big difference in the way that my plane handled! Much smoother and it seemed to be faster too.
Quote:
As to the higher speed question between the RareBear and the Spitfire.

I think the higher speed of the RareBear has to do with a combination of things - wing and fuse shape mostly.

It is said that the sphere is natures favorite aerodynamic shape - the necessity of changing direction with the addition of an elevator and rudder requires something to hang them on - hence the teardrop shape - sphere on the front and tail on the back.

If you look at the shape of the fuse on the Bear it most resembles a wing in comparison to a Spitfire, Mustang or SeaFury - the latter being the closest. Really the only other contenders to a Bear. The tough part about making the SeaFury faster is the servo rods and horns not being inline with direction of flight - and at the ends of the wing. If I could clean that up and get rid of the radiator thing on the leading edge it might be fast - maybe even as fast.

In addition to that - the shape of the wing on a Spitfire while being beautiful and probably having better turning ability might also have more vortex drag associated with it than the Bear. All the clipped or square winged examples are faster. And faster yet with winglets and rod covers...

The fastest piston engined aircraft was RareBear in 1989 - 528.31mph.

Having said all that - it remains to be seen... I love a mystery! and a contest of course.

Cheers!

Gary
If we are talking about flat and level or Reno Race speeds yes the Bear is the winner. But if you go back in the history books and look at speeds in dives it is the P-47. It could get to speeds nearing the sound barrier in a dive without much effort at all. And there was a Spitfire that was used as a supersonic testbed as well. Not sure what its top speeds were but it did have many props explode due to shock waves and vibrations.

But we are talking about these little foamy dealy bobs. I got my spitfire dialed in and am gonna ring it out this weekend with 2 other Bears and see how it holds up. This will be stock planes with 4s 40c 1000mah packs only so it will be a pretty good test. Let's see if I can keep it in one piece!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:40 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
snoshoe62, I'll take some photos in a few hours when I'm at home.

GLM, do you sell winglets and servo covers for the other birds?
The Winglets will also fit on the T-28 and with a little modification the Mustang.
The servo rod covers will fit lots of things. Have a sniff around

Cheers!

Gary
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
303 Posts
Quote:
If I could clean that up and get rid of the radiator thing on the leading edge it might be fast - maybe even as fast.
I just cut it off !
mrgriz is offline Find More Posts by mrgriz
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:10 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,015 Posts
Well I finally got my refund today from cancelling my Rare Bear order at HobbyKing so I ordered one from Toysonics. I also ordered a 40a Hobbywing esc from eBay and still had $10 left over from the refund. Thanks again DBGOOD for telling me about Toysonics. With shipping, they were a full $25 cheaper than HobbyKing.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:23 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
Well I finally got my refund today from cancelling my Rare Bear order at HobbyKing so I ordered one from Toysonics. I also ordered a 40a Hobbywing esc from eBay and still had $10 left over from the refund. Thanks again DBGOOD for telling me about Toysonics. With shipping, they were a full $25 cheaper than HobbyKing.
Your very welcome...
I ordered my RareBear from Toysonics,
it took 4 days from Cali to Ny,
Let me know how you make out with it,
DB
dbgood is offline Find More Posts by dbgood