HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by focae View Post
I don't know the chemistry involved but all batteries have chemical reactions taking place regardless of the state of charge. You may be aware of car batteries 'sulphating' if left in a discharged state for long periods.

It is a characteristic of lipos for the latent reaction when no current is flowing to be worse when fully charged than when discharged. Unfortunately for us, if lipos are left discharged for too long they will not recover their ability to accept charge. This is also true if they are allowed to fall below a critical voltage.

We can't leave our lipos charged because they will destroy themelves over time, and we can't leave them discharged because they may then not accept a charge later, so we have to make a compromise and store them at 3.8V per cell.
Lost several batteries due to storing them charged. I picked up the same tip from this guy http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZJHlJYDJohc about storing them between 3.7 and 3.85. He's a pretty knowledgeable and helpful guy. I've learned a bunch from him. Anyways, I haven't lost anymore since following this advice.

I just got my first funfighter (P40) yesterday. I'm hoping the slightly larger size and colors will make it easier to track? I'm about 160 pages into this thread but I'm not sure I've got the patience to read it all! Going to start with 3s 1300's on stock set up then move to 4s 1000's with a plush 40 esc once I'm comfortable with it. I've been having a blast flying my HK Skyfun jet which averages 105-110 mph, but these just look like a ton of fun. I've been bitten by the speed bug and am quickly becoming addicted! I'm already looking ahead to something much bigger AND fast... Sundowner 50? Sundowner 36? Shoestring? Not really interested in competition, just the knee knocking rush that flying fast gives us. Oh, the possibilities.... Looking forward to the maiden of the P40 sometime this week!
Norm
Norm62 is online now Find More Posts by Norm62
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
I've been bitten by the speed bug and am quickly becoming addicted! I'm already looking ahead to something much bigger AND fast... Sundowner 50? Sundowner 36? Shoestring? Not really interested in competition, just the knee knocking rush that flying fast gives us.
I have both the shoestring and the sundowner 36 , they are a real buzz
the sundowner is my fleet favourite

check out the threads on both planes here on RC Groups
SD36 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=sundowner+36
Shoestring http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...490546&page=84
mrgriz is offline Find More Posts by mrgriz
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:16 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,132 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a new wildcat cowl? Or if someone has a used one I'll buy it. Flying yesterday towards sun down and flew into the sun and got completely blinded. Lost orientation and pile drove the ground. Thankfully it was pretty repairable, but I poured hot water on the foam to straighten back out and as I did my glasses got fogged up from the steam and when I finally stopped and could see I realized I got water all over the cowl and it got completely deformed.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:31 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Got the 3700kv helicopter motor modded and installed on a GLM wount with stiffener. Went to a 70amp Turnigy Trust ESC. Peek power on a 1300 4 cell nanotech is 1086 watts. This is on a 5x5 prop. Holy cow this thing is scary, I cant wait to fly it. I hope my wing repair can take the stress, if not the crash should be fairly entertaining.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:08 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhack View Post
i hope my wing repair can take the stress, if not the crash should be fairly entertaining.

V-i-d-e-o
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Is the F4F fast like the Rare Bear? All of us at my club are flying different Funfighters with 4s stock motors and the Rare Bear is the fastest by far, but no one has a F4F and it's one of my WWII favorites, it looks fast in the videos...
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
The Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
V-i-d-e-o
If I only had been filming last week when my 3DHS Edge came apart in a full speed tumble. It looked like it exploded in midair.
StickHack is offline Find More Posts by StickHack
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,629 Posts
Anyone know if the Sea Fury is available in kit or airframe only ?
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:14 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
I just bought the T 28 from HK

Anything I should be aware of with this plane? CoG? Sorry to ask but I didn't feel like reading 500+ pages in this thread

The side trust on this plane is huge by the way

Cheers

Steve
stevo0476 is online now Find More Posts by stevo0476
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, St. Ives
Joined May 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo0476 View Post
I just bought the T 28 from HK. Anything I should be aware of with this plane? CoG?
The T28 really isn't very fussy about CoG. I don't even bother checking it now. I put the battery in the middle of the wing, Rx next to elevator servo and ESC at the front. I fly 3S 850mAh. Underhand launch at about 45 to 60 degrees with 3/4 throttle works every time once you get it trimmed in. Really easy to trim - throttle off and it glides beautifully giving you plenty of time to mess around.....you won't dare to take your thumbs off the sticks with power on! 5 mins flight with a bit of throttle management. Good luck
focae is offline Find More Posts by focae
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Flew it today with a seabreeze of close to 45 km/h
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
This bird flies just great out of the box. A keeper
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:26 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo0476 View Post
Flew it today with a seabreeze of close to 45 km/h
Cool, could you post a link to this one. I can't seem to find it. Are you talking about the Seafury?
I currently have the T-28 and Wildcat. I was thinking about the P-47 for my next one, but I'm not sure yet.
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
738 Posts
Has anyone posted on the relative speeds and flying qualities of the various Funfighters?
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:26 PM
Vancouver Island
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Corsair is on sale right now, so I picked one up. I wasn't planning on ever getting this one due to the lack of any support in the wing, but at $50 its hard to pass up. I'll run some good fiber tape along both sides of the wing for extra support. I do this with all my planes anyway. I think Ill just keep this one stock on 3S. Only a few more and Ill have the whole fleet of Funfighters!
resinrider is offline Find More Posts by resinrider