HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:42 AM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
Good video

whats your feelings now about the bear >?

What are they like on the slow down for final ? Bajora that landing looked hot does it need to be flow like a warbird with the speed up for landing?

Does it glide on or wanna slow down quick off power?
Whats it stall characterisitics like ?
Can we get some high speed runs dopplered ?

UPS is not coming fast enough for me
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:51 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,580 Posts
The landing was way hotter than it needed to be. The AUW is so light that it slows VERY nicely. That was my first flight on it ... in subsequent landings, we slowed it down quite a bit more. You have nothing to worry about as far as any bad habits IMO. Launches are so easy ...half throttle and an easy underhand toss and it is off and racing. As you hear Jason say n his video, half throttle is plenty! She moves along nicely even at half stick. I flew some slow circuits for the stills and didn;t see any bad tendencies really.

Now I just have to get mine all patched up and looking pretty again. Pete, you have a spare air frame that you could send to help a brutha out?!

Don, what is your two cents on these? (He maidened the Bear yesterday)
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vaterra Ford Raptor with AVC
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,047 Posts
I have mine packed in my lunchbox and I will try to get off work early enough to fly it on the way home. C'Mon 1500! I did not haul the charger with me, so I'm wasting the commute home that I could recharge during. Poor planning on my part
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
me, right now.
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
Great videos guys! I'm so glad I found this thread, I had no idea these aircraft were in production. That little bird looks like an absolute speed demon!

Whats the biggest battery you can cram in there????!!!!!
hooligan russ is offline Find More Posts by hooligan russ
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:23 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,580 Posts
3S 850mAh is all you need. And it has the side benefit of making the CG spot on to where it needs to be.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
me, right now.
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
I was hoping I might be able to use all these 3S 1500 and possibly 4S 1000mah that I have collected for the 50mm edf jets that I have completely destroyed.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,580 Posts
Right on, that makes sense .... that 1000 might fit, depending on the form factor. But it could end up making the airframe(s) a bit nose heavy?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:54 AM
me, right now.
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
Cool, thanks Jon, Maybe I'll order one and see what I can get away with battery wise.

Somebodys gotta be the guinea pig, might as well be me.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:24 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,889 Posts
I'd been looking forward to getting the Rare Bear in the air since Friday night when Jon and I pulled it out of its box. Yesterday, I convinced Jon to come up to the wind tunnel (aka my flying field), so we could have some fun with the mini birds. After a few flights on the T-28 and 109 to get ourselves warmed up, I won the coin toss to maiden the Rare Bear.

As with the rest of the planes in the series, we selected about half throttle and Jon gave the bear a overhanded toss. The plane showed up well against the blue sky, but I found myself pulling back the throttle so I could trim the plane out a bit on those first passes. Once the trims were sorted, I got a chance to open the bear up a bit. The bear flies best at right about 1/2 throttle (or slightly over). The wind was a bit gusty for us, but the bear handled it without issue ... as a matter of fact all the minis handled the wind extremely well. All in all, the bear fits in perfectly with the rest of the planes in the series. They all seem to exhibit a presence much larger then themselves in the sky, and performance which far exceeds my expectations at this price point. It's between the bear and the 109 as my personal favorites in the series so far, but that T-28 sure is hard to beat too.......

Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lud View Post
Good video

whats your feelings now about the bear >?

What are they like on the slow down for final ? Bajora that landing looked hot does it need to be flow like a warbird with the speed up for landing?

Does it glide on or wanna slow down quick off power?
Whats it stall characterisitics like ?
Can we get some high speed runs dopplered ?

UPS is not coming fast enough for me
The airplane doesn't have any bad tendencies and comes in fairly slowly, it doesn't "float" but it has a predictable glide path making easy for spot landings.

The stall on the Rare Bare is gentle with the nose dropping, nothing bad...

The airplane is too quite to doppler IMO. We need a radar gun to really get an accurate speed. I think the Rare Bear is doing about 70+ mph.

On a more power note - I've ordered a couple 4s 800 batteries to see what kind of speed we can get with the Rare Bear. Stayed tuned for more speed fun!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Aw dang you boys down south .. beating me to the first video by a mere minute!

http://vimeo.com/20457487
Nice video, you need to come visit/fly with us some time!

Cheers,
Jason
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:08 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,580 Posts
Don and did fly the 109 on some 4s 500mah packs yesterday. Living up to his avatar sub title, Don managed to push it so hard that we put 544 back into a 500mah pack! He is quite the magician, eh?! And that was the first flight on that pack. Er, definitely a lipo abuser!! way to break a new pack in, eh!? But I love him nonetheless! Ha ha

As far as perceived increase in performance, it didn't seem radically faster on 4s? Stronger vertical though. A prop change may be in order to get the best 4s performance. And yes, we do have some video of the 109 on 4s.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
I think a 5x5 or 5x5.4 or even a 4.75x4.75 might be good choices for the props on 4s. I'm excited to see the video, and hear more about the 4s runs.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:21 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,495 Posts
I flew mine today as well and man does it fly good and very good speed with unlimited vertical
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
I have a P-51 and Trojan on the way - I can't wait to get them up in the air! Come on Banana Hobby, hurry up and ship my order already!!!