HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:22 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,601 Posts
I am looking at the Rare Bear again this AM and notice a few cool things ... there is a spar that passes through the fuselage and runs almost completely out to the tips of the wing. Jalin listens when folks offer suggestions ... he added clevis retention devices AKA as tubing. Perhaps a "small" thing but most of us prefer a secondary insurance policy be in place to prevent any unwanted clevis opening while in flight.

The decals are flaking off a little on one side of the fuselage. Which stinks because this little plane looks pretty sweet IMO. The color scheme is pretty nicely done. I will pick up some paint at Michaels and patch it in and then I ma thinking that it is time to fire up the airbrush to hit this one with a little WBPU to seal the decals. It just looks too good to start losing decals from handling and sliding in on its belly while landing.

As far as the motor KV, the manual does not list any motor specs. I will try and get the info for posting here.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:03 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,900 Posts
Its killing me the Bear is finally here, but the weather isn't nice enough for us to go play with it ....... hopefully tomorrow it wont rain

Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:15 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,601 Posts
I am SO hoping we can meet up tomorrow and let this one rip! What would be even better is if the 4S batteries I ordered up would arrive today? I very cautiously and tentatively ran the Bear up on a 4S pack (1550mAh ... too big to fit in the fuselage and use) and it is a REWD amount of power! The stock ESC barked out four chirps and acted like it was happy on 4S. Jalin DID say they were flying these on 4S but I forgot to ask if they were using all stock components when they did it?

The wing on the Bear is VERY stiff, thanks to the spar. This baby IS built for speed! :ccol:
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:52 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,205 Posts
Thanks for all the updates and pics Bajora!

Does the T-28 have the spar and other features as well?
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:19 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
I am looking at the Rare Bear again this AM and notice a few cool things ... there is a spar that passes through the fuselage and runs almost completely out to the tips of the wing. Jalin listens when folks offer suggestions ... he added clevis retention devices AKA as tubing. Perhaps a "small" thing but most of us prefer a secondary insurance policy be in place to prevent any unwanted clevis opening while in flight.

The decals are flaking off a little on one side of the fuselage. Which stinks because this little plane looks pretty sweet IMO. The color scheme is pretty nicely done. I will pick up some paint at Michaels and patch it in and then I ma thinking that it is time to fire up the airbrush to hit this one with a little WBPU to seal the decals. It just looks too good to start losing decals from handling and sliding in on its belly while landing.

As far as the motor KV, the manual does not list any motor specs. I will try and get the info for posting here.
I am getting antsy!! Can't wait to fly mine when I get it on monday!! Thanx for the super detailed pix! CrazyJ got his in the mail and will have it ready to go tomorrow he said. Any idea on the prop size? That may play a factor in the speed on 4s or 3s.
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:21 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
I am SO hoping we can meet up tomorrow and let this one rip! What would be even better is if the 4S batteries I ordered up would arrive today? I very cautiously and tentatively ran the Bear up on a 4S pack (1550mAh ... too big to fit in the fuselage and use) and it is a REWD amount of power! The stock ESC barked out four chirps and acted like it was happy on 4S. Jalin DID say they were flying these on 4S but I forgot to ask if they were using all stock components when they did it?

The wing on the Bear is VERY stiff, thanks to the spar. This baby IS built for speed! :ccol:
How long before you guys come back to Baylands? We have a ton of these little 50mm's and there will be many Bear Cats out there as well! 2 confirmed thus far!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:31 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,659 Posts
so what lipos are you going to use
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined Sep 2003
366 Posts
Where can we get the spitfire?
addict is offline Find More Posts by addict
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:03 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,601 Posts
A few photos of the Rare Bear ripping holes in the skies this afternoon! Any other folks get theirs airborne today?

We had a ton of fun with ours. Don flew the maiden and then we both had our way with it. The fun ended abruptly, when I stuffed it into the sole tree within danger distance, a HUGE Eucalyptus. It was way at the top and I thought it irretrievable .... we could barely see it in fact! I kept working the throttle and eventually it pulled itself free and flew itself down to the ground, getting busted it up on the way down. Dang! And it looked SO good! I think I can get her all repaired up and looking pretty again though.

GREAT fun, this Rare Bear!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:05 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
that rare bear is growing on me fast thought it looked lame when i first saw it but now i think ill get one.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:12 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Well... I had no idea this thread existed, and I thank Gooniac33 for getting me totally hooked on the 50mm EDFs and now on this Rare Bear. Gooniac33 is the king of these little airplanes (at least in my neck of the woods). We were both out at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale CA today, and true to the city's name it was sunny!

Anyways, I did maiden the Rare Bear today and all I have to say is WOW! This little airplane is AWESOME!!! It took less than 30 minutes to go from box to flight. I opted for a 6x4 APC prop instead of the stock, which looked like a 5x4 or 5x5. With the APC the WOT current was around 14amps, stock was about 12~13amps. This little airplane boogies and flies so well that I'm going to buy the P-51, Trojan and Spitfire! I have no negative comments about this airplane, it's perfect out of the box and is truly a "Reno Racer". I'm guessing that it does about 70mph in a straight pass, maybe Gooniac33 has a better speed guess for the little Rare Bear. It's just a matter of time before we start doing formation and pylon racing with these sweet airplanes.

Anyways, I'm so stoked to have this Rare Bear in my collection and really look forward to the next time I can fly it.

PS, stay tuned for the maiden video on my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/bigguyyyy365
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Video is up!

First Flight: Mini Rare Bear Reno Racer from JPower/Skyangel (3 min 15 sec)
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:57 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,601 Posts
Aw dang you boys down south .. beating me to the first video by a mere minute!

Sky Angel Mini War Bird ~ Rare Bear (2 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:02 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,601 Posts
You can see the big Euc that ate mine when I fly towards the left in the video~

We HATE that tree!

Nice job on your video Jason!
RCG Plus Member