SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2011, 11:55 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
This is not mine but, I HAVE to post pics of it. This belongs to my friend Sean. He got Callie to do the decals and between his paint and her decals it is absolutely beautiful. If you guys are looking to get decals give Callie a look. She did my PKZ P-47 and it's awesome.

http://www.callie-graphics.com/aboutus.php

My P-47

Sean's Rare Bare....Awesome!!

kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 01:13 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
This is not mine but, I HAVE to post pics of it. This belongs to my friend Sean. He got Callie to do the decals and between his paint and her decals it is absolutely beautiful. If you guys are looking to get decals give Callie a look. She did my PKZ P-47 and it's awesome.

http://www.callie-graphics.com/aboutus.php
that rare bear is awesome!!!

I tried something with my Rare Bear. Not sure what it will do but I aded some carbon to the 3.5 inches of the outer aileron. This was the part that broke off of a fellow flyer's plane. Also blenderemed the hinge and under the carbon slit. Take a look...

gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Last edited by gooniac33; May 20, 2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 05:41 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
Now I feel inadequate! Really nice '47 and Bear.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old May 20, 2011, 05:42 AM
me, right now.
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
30amp Pentium ESC, APC 6X5.5 prop and 4s 40c 1000mah pack. It is pulling 29amps on the ground but should be 2-4 less amps in the air. The esc has a burst current of 40amps so I think that I am fine. I never do long full throttle runs and the good thing about this esc is that if it gets hot it will cut my power to half until it cools...UBEC is in there as well though just in case it lets go! Should be lots of fun though! It is pulling much harder than it did with the 5.25X6.25 on there....
I think I'll make the switch to 6x5.5 but keep the stock esc and run it on 3s. If the esc is still getting hot, I'll spring for a new one along with some 4s batteries

Quote:
I'm actually not a fan of the 5.25x6.25. It hasn't preformed as well as the 6x5.5 on 3 or 4s. I need to get a 6x6 and see what it pulls and how it flies.
+1 I liked the better all around performance of the 5x5 more than the 5.25x6.25. I could run it on 3s and the esc would stay nice and cool, or on 4s with some esc cooling time in between flights.
hooligan russ is offline Find More Posts by hooligan russ
Old May 20, 2011, 10:22 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan russ View Post
I think I'll make the switch to 6x5.5 but keep the stock esc and run it on 3s. If the esc is still getting hot, I'll spring for a new one along with some 4s batteries

+1 I liked the better all around performance of the 5x5 more than the 5.25x6.25. I could run it on 3s and the esc would stay nice and cool, or on 4s with some esc cooling time in between flights.
The 5.25X6.25 is a high speed prop. It does the best on fast diving passes. I flew together with another plane that had the 5X5 and was pulling away by quite a bit. It takes a bit to get it on step though. It is more of a momentum prop if thats what you want to call it. The other props seem to accelerate faster but then fall off. The 5.25X6.25 just keeps building up in speed.

And I ran up the 6X5.5 on the ground for about 2 mins last night to see what would happen. I know that it isn't the best thing to so with there isn't much air going over the esc and motor but figured it would be a good test. I went through the throttle range as if I was flying it. The motor did get pretty warm but the esc was not too hot. All of this with no air circulating over anything. So I think that it will be ok. But the only way to know is to actually do it tomorrow... I will keep you guys posted!
Old May 20, 2011, 10:30 AM
me, right now.
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
The 5.25X6.25 is a high speed prop. It does the best on fast diving passes. I flew together with another plane that had the 5X5 and was pulling away by quite a bit. It takes a bit to get it on step though. It is more of a momentum prop if thats what you want to call it. The other props seem to accelerate faster but then fall off. The 5.25X6.25 just keeps building up in speed.

And I ran up the 6X5.5 on the ground for about 2 mins last night to see what would happen. I know that it isn't the best thing to so with there isn't much air going over the esc and motor but figured it would be a good test. I went through the throttle range as if I was flying it. The motor did get pretty warm but the esc was not too hot. All of this with no air circulating over anything. So I think that it will be ok. But the only way to know is to actually do it tomorrow... I will keep you guys posted!
You're prolly getting pretty close to the performance extent of the motor. Don't forget your on board cam tomorrow!
Old May 20, 2011, 10:38 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan russ View Post
You're prolly getting pretty close to the performance extent of the motor. Don't forget your on board cam tomorrow!
Will try my best to get the cam on there! Not sure it will work though...
Old May 20, 2011, 11:14 AM
proceramic
United States, WI, La Crosse
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Great info on the prop tests! I flew my t-28 yesterday,stock setup with a 3s 1000 and a cheapo 6x4 schimitar prop and wow!! This thing really hauls butt! I would slow her to almost a stall, punch it and watch it instantly climb out of sight.

Was getting a little cocky with it and let her get a bit far out,lost my orientation and lawn darted it from about 50'.Walked up expecting to see a pile of foam but to my surprise only the wing came off, and I broke the prop.unbelievable how durable these planes are,I thought for sure she was toast.Gonna head back out this afternoon with some 6x5's if the mailman ever shows up..

That Rare Red Bull Bear looks great! Nice job!
proceramic is offline Find More Posts by proceramic
Old May 21, 2011, 04:55 AM
lud
Making mischief in the air
Berkshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
903 Posts
Quote:
This is not mine but, I HAVE to post pics of it. This belongs to my friend Sean. He got Callie to do the decals and between his paint and her decals it is absolutely beautiful. If you guys are looking to get decals give Callie a look.

Sean's Rare Bare....Awesome!!
That is a lovely paint job. i checked Callie a few months ago - and there wasnt a "scheme" for these - did your buddy request a bespoke decal job ??
lud is offline Find More Posts by lud
Old May 21, 2011, 06:14 AM
me, right now.
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
That Red Bull Rare Bear is incredible!

I'm pretty sure you can email Callie just about any design and she will turn it into a custom sized graphic.

I just made a new video of last weekends flights with a 5.25x6.25 prop on 3s.

Sky Angel J-power T-28 (1 min 36 sec)
Old May 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
If you call or email Callie you can have her make what your looking for. On my P-47 I found the pin up girl I wanted and sent here the link. She had it to me in 6 days.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old May 21, 2011, 09:52 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Since my Rare Bear has had issues keeping the motor on, or the cowl in-place; I decided to do some major mods to make it "right" again.

Here we go!

I decided to give my BP 2212-6 (2200kv) motor a try. It's the same darn size and bolt pattern. NICE!

The motor kept coming off on me during flight or on landings; I land in tall weeds which "snag" the plane and cause the nose to "smack" the dirt. Here's my new robust firewall that's imbedded into the foam:

You can see the slot I carefully cut into the foam for the firewall to slide into:

New battery placement and/or added room to get the balance "just right". Before, I was limited with the battery placement and generally flew the airplane in a nose heavy setup.

Now you might be thinking, hey that battery is where the magnets were. Where did they go? Here they are:

Ok, almost there! Here is the motor on the FW and the 30amp plush ESC ( I later switched to a Turnigy 40amp plush) behind the motor:

A new way to mount the cowl - back to old-school methods that work!

Finished product, minus a new cowl. A few flights ago the cowl came lose in flight and the 4s powered motor/prop melted the out of the cowl (it's hard to see in this pic, with the lighting). I have the hook-up coming soon!

BTW, I did install a support on the elevator push-rod inside the fuselage but didn't get a pic of that.

For those interested in this BP 2212-6 motor. Here are some prelim specs:
APC 4.75x5.5 on 4s pulled
AMPS: 45+
Volts: 13 (on a fully charged 4s battery!)
Watts: 580 (or more, 40amp ESC was cutting out at 45! )

Needless to say, this motor needs a smaller prop on 4s or needs to be on 3s. I will continue playing with props and batteries tonight and report back some more findings.

crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Last edited by crazyj; May 21, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:10 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
All tests were done with fully charged batteries, and with the Turnigy Plush 40 on high timing (unless stated other wise)

BP 2212-6 (2200KV) motor:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B2632603

The motor is rated at 28amps peak for 60s. That's the current that I'm shooting for!

------------------
APC 4.75x5.5
Amps: 22
Volts: 11.8
Watts: 260
------------------
APC 4.75x4.74
Amps: 19.5
Watts: 230
------------------
APC 4.75x4.75
4s 1000mah 40c
Amps: 85+ I'm surprised the motor pulled this much ?
Volts: Didn't look... I pulled the battery quick to prevent any fires LOL
Watts:
I don't have any smaller props, and I'm starting to think this motor just will not do 4s, PERIOD.
------------------
APC 5x5
------------------
APC 5.25x4.75 (HIGH TIMING)
Amps: 24
Watts: 280

(LOW TIMING)
Amps: 25
Volts: 11.7
Watts: 290

(MID Timing)
------------------
APC 5.5x4.5
Watts: 295
------------------
APC 6x4 (Mid timing, high timing made the motor "squeal" and "shutter" at speed)
Amps: 26
Watts: 300
------------------

I have a question, when testing with the various timing settings on the ESC. If the motor pulls more amps with one timing vs. another does that really mean it's making more power, or is it just less efficient (burning more amps)? I guess I can answer my own question, and truly find out what works best with a tachometer.

I will buy some props tomorrow and keep testing. Currently, if I stick with the BP motor I will have to use 3s. I don't have any good 3s batteries small enough to fly with - what a bummer! I will have to buy some batteries to use this motor, or go back to the stock motor! My Last 5.25x6.25 was melted to the engine cowl, so that's one prop to test on 3s!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old May 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
That thing will rip with the 2200kv on 3s!

I run quite a few 2212-6 2200kv motors on things and the 6x4 prop is the best I've found. A good 1300mah 3s should do nicely in your Bear.

Have fun!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
All tests were done with fully charged batteries, and with the Turnigy Plush 40 on high timing (unless stated other wise)

BP 2212-6 (2200KV) motor:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B2632603

The motor is rated at 28amps peak for 60s. That's the current that I'm shooting for!

------------------
APC 4.75x5.5
------------------
APC 4.75x4.74
Amps: 19.5
Watts: 230
------------------
APC 4.75x4.75
4s 1000mah 40c
Amps: 85+ I'm surprised the motor pulled this much ?
Volts: Didn't look... I pulled the battery quick to prevent any fires LOL
Watts:
I don't have any smaller props, and I'm starting to think this motor just will not do 4s, PERIOD.
------------------
APC 5x5
------------------
APC 5.25x4.75 (HIGH TIMING)
Amps: 24
Watts: 280

(LOW TIMING)

(MID Timing)
------------------
APC 5.5x4.5
Watts: 295
------------------
APC 6x4 (Mid timing, high timing made the motor "squeal" and "shutter" at speed)
Amps: 26
Watts: 300
------------------

I have a question, when testing with the various timing settings on the ESC. If the motor pulls more amps with one timing vs. another does that really mean it's making more power, or is it just less efficient (burning more amps)? I guess I can answer my own question, and truly find out what works best with a tachometer.

I will buy some props tomorrow and keep testing. Currently, if I stick with the BP motor I will have to use 3s. I don't have any good 3s batteries small enough to fly with - what a bummer! I will have to buy some batteries to use this motor, or go back to the stock motor! My Last 5.25x6.25 was melted to the engine cowl, so that's one prop to test on 3s!
Very interesting info....I thought that the 2212 was about the same size. But I don't think that motor is good on 4s. I really wish that hobby partz would get my favorite 2800kv motor back!

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the fire wall if my mount breaks. But so far it is all good and will stay as it is.