HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by CaliDave, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:22 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,380 Posts
Discussion
Building my EZ

Sorting out my device placement so far and have the VTx above the pod (to be installed), my Futaba Rx inside the belly hatch with the dual antenna separated in a "V" ish manner through the hatch slits, and the EzOSD GPS on the extension cable on the tail section.

I know I need as much separation between the different frequency specific devices, but I'm wondering if this is enough?

I'll be using an LC filter and plan to twist most cables. I'm striving for clean video and locked GPS!

I'm running:

VTx = 1.3G @ 1000mW
Radio Rx = Futaba R6014HS
EzOSD w/GPS

Feel free to comment if you have any thoughts on my build.... it's my first of this type.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Last edited by CaliDave; Mar 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:27 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,380 Posts
The answer to my "separation" question/pic... well, no lock with the GPS with the current placement of my devices. More testing needed.

I'll post results as to if I can make the GPS happy.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:36 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,380 Posts
Update - 01/21/2011

Turns out placement was okay after testing more and I was able to lock with satellites using the EzOSD. Very exciting feeling to walk around my court and see the distance changing as my range changed.

Committed the design last night and glued everything together.

Tomorrow AM will be launch time for the first flight. I'll be using my GoPro "Stunt Double" in place of my GoPro HD in the event I'm off on my CG and overall setup. This will be the heaviest plane (@ 2.41 +lbs) and most control surfaces (only 3 channel before) I've flown on my own so there is the potential for a rough takeoff.

My concerns:

1. The plane is too heavy @ 2.41+ lbs for the motor/speed control setup:
HXT 2835 (380S) 2200kv Brushless Inrunner
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller

2. My ailerons are too big and might have weakened the wings:
I may reinforce them with some fiberglass rods before tomorrow, unless imbedding the rods will further weaken the wings. I also plan to add some reinforced pack tape to the wing edges and along the spar path toward the wing tips on both the top and bottom to cause opposite force but still allow bending (I found this to work on my modded glider wing... but much less stress there).

3. Over controlling the plane at takeoff since it's my first flight. I just keep telling myself to not jam the sticks in any direction and be subtle.. but we'll see how it goes when I launch.

4. Placement of the short antenna of my radio receiver. Currently the best option for placement seemed to be under the wings since too far back I was messing with the GPS and too far forward it was the video Tx, but Tim @ ReadyMadeRC pointed out that they could be damaged during landing. Also, not sure if the angle will reduce my radio signal. I may try to see about putting them up through small holes in the wing so they are pointed to the sun.

A lot of work to get everything ready... excited for tomorrow.