SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Discussion
Next step - UM T-28 or T-28

So I started out 2 weeks ago with my first RC plane - a hobbyzone champ and I've had a blast with that. But the very day I bought it I knew I wanted something bigger. So the next day I got the super cub lp.

I've loved them both and I've gotten pretty comfortable with flying them both and I'm ready for my next plane.

I want a four channel plane. Should I go with the ultra micro T-28 or the normal one? Or is there something else I should consider? I've got a DX6i so I'd prefer something I can bind to that. I'm currently using it for my blade mSR and my Champ.

I guess I tend to lean towards the non ultra micro planes as I enjoy flying them more but I get in more flying time with the Champ because I can fly it in my front yard. Plus, the UM models seem extremely durable.

So my brain tells me I should get the UM T-28 but I'm very intrigued by the normal T-28.

Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
The UM T-28 is a good and durable plane. The only problem I have with it is the very low wind tolerance. I don't have access to big indoor places to fly it and in my city its windy every day.

beside from that I enjoy it specially when I use the Dual Rate and can easily fly it without being too worried.

Other thing is when the plane goes a bit high , it is hard to see it very well ( in outdoor ) I think it is not a big deal for some but hence i am a beginner myself and like to keep my altitude "high" , I get confused flying it high sometimes..

I crashed my ( not very hard ) few times but the plane just bounced back ( On the grass ) with no damage, then I did learn it can land even with no throttle as its very light.

Over all I enjoy mine and with some patience and practice it would be fun !

I saw his bigger brother last week, Same great handling but dealing with wind much better ( its bigger ! ) and easy to see in the sky. I would buy that but I don't have a large field to fly it as yet.
bennz is offline Find More Posts by bennz
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. I agree on the wind - that's the same issue I've got with my Champ. I love that plane but it's less fun to fly in winds greater than 5mph.

So I'm juts wondering if the larger T-28 will be too bug of a step for me or not? I know I'd enjoy it simply but if I'm gonna be breaking every time I take it out then I don't want it.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:30 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
...I get in more flying time with the Champ because I can fly it in my front yard. Plus, the UM models seem extremely durable...
I guess it depends on your budget and flying spaces.

For learning:

Flying whenever the mood & conditions suit you (ala UMs) means you learn faster.

For fun:

Having fun whenever the mood & conditions suit you (ala UMs) means you get more opportunities to have fun.

Aside from that, bigger planes are fun too. Just depends I suppose.

Here's a post where I lay out a general case for Ultra-Micros:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=8

For my own learning, I went from Champ to UM T-28. I'll get a bigger plane once I've learned as much as I can on the cheaper plane that lets me fly more often and shrugs of damage so well. And... I'm sure I'll keep my UM T-28, just for fun!
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
I would go with the UM, the big one you have a crash and your off buying $30-$50 for replacement parts. The UM parts are a lot less expensive.
E-reevo is offline Find More Posts by E-reevo
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:20 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Dec 2009
344 Posts
Hey Turnerm,

I would highly recommend the full size T-28 for a few reasons;

-Larger planes are typically much more stable.

-I own three of the micro's (suhkoi xp, cub and mustang) and I feel like I never get to fly them because of wind. The slightest breeze makes them bounce around while anything stronger makes them uncontrollable, especially if you have limited flying experience. The full size handles wind pretty good.

-E-Reevo does make a good point about parts costs, the UM is going to be cheaper to fix but it is going to be more difficult to work on because of the small parts and how fragile they are.

-Gorilla glue, hot glue or tape will fix just about any damage on the full size. If one of those doesn't, I think the most expensive replacement part (not including the motor, which can be replaced with a cheaper and better one) is the fuselage at $37.99. You will probably break a few motor mounts and cowls but those are only $2.99 and $6.99 to replace.

-Lastly, the full size can be upgraded as you advance, you can easily put a new motor in it or add stuff like retracts, flaps, lights or a bomb drop fairly easily. You can also really play with different control throw settings to make it more agile. Mine has a big motor upfront and flies almost as fast as my Habu! The UM is pretty limited as far as upgrades go.

I am a huge fan of the full size and have taught 4 or 5 people to fly on it. Of those, 3 people bought one for their first plane. It may seem intimidating at first because it is so much larger but I really thing you will get more enjoyment out of it. Another thing to think about is that you will have to buy bigger batteries and maybe a charger. You will however be able to use them with other planes in the future.

Hope it helps, let us know what you go with and how you like it!

-Peter
PilotPete01 is offline Find More Posts by PilotPete01
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:23 PM
Cleveland Tx
Joined Dec 2009
397 Posts
+1 on pete01's posting...stability in size and better wind handling
Gonzo454 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo454
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:05 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,088 Posts
If you are comfortable on the champ & the Cub, you should be ready for the 28 full sized. Agree with Pete's post above. The 28 is a really good flying plane! I like flying micro's when space is a factor, and they are sure fun, but I enjoy flying my larger planes just a bit more. Farther, higher, faster kind of thing I guess.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
The T-28D is a fantastic plane, no doubt about it. I went from the UM Champ to the T-28 but I had the benefit of buddy boxing with a qualified flight instructor for my first several flights.

How do you like the SC? Have you considered modifying it to make it a 4 channel plane? Are you comfortable taking off and landing with a tail dragger like the SC? Assuming you are you might want to also consider the new PZ P-47 for a number of reasons. It's very close in size to the T-28 but it has additional features that the T-28 doesn't have built in (flaps and retracts).

Personally I think any of the PZ warbirds make a good next plane. In my experience the P-51 Mustang took me longer to learn than the T-28, Wildcat and Thunderbolt but that's just me
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:18 AM
Wilmington, NC
Joined Jan 2011
30 Posts
I was looking for a thread about stepping up to the T-28 I have a PZ P-51 and I was speaking with someone at the hobby store, they said that the T-28 is actually a little easier to fly than the mustang?? Not sure if that is true or not? My P-51 is a 3 channel and has no rudder control. I was thinking of getting a T-28 for my next plane.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
millej23 is offline Find More Posts by millej23
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:23 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
In my case even though I'm in a windy area the UM choice was easy, since my flying opportunities are multiplied by about 50 by having a tiny plane.

I can pop in the car and fly almost anywhere on the way to work, or walk out front of my house and fly.

I will get a larger plane, for me right now it's about maxxing out stick time.

Either plane you will crash and you will break, the UM will cost less to fix and the repairs will be less dramatic, but I will second/third the opinion that the T28 micro is a jumpy little SOB given not much turbulence.

The T28 micro is a bit easier to fly than the P51 micro, but is also less aerobatic, and has a slower roll rate.
I see the T28 as a great first aileron plane if you are learning by yourself, in large part because you can fly it and completely ignore the rudder if you choose to.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:25 AM
Cleveland Tx
Joined Dec 2009
397 Posts
Millej

T 28 is alot easier to fly, well in my oppinion...it is alot more forgiving, still quite agile and I think is a great low wing aileron trainer, if your P 51 is surviving then you will find the Trojan to be a distinct pleasure. It will also be docile enough for you to become accustomed to rudder control without a distraction.
Gonzo454 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo454
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:42 AM
Foam Flyer
Wakulla County, FL
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
Full size T28 was my first aileron plane. I have crashed it and cartwheeled it across pavement into a ditch and have had very little break, except an elevator and a slightly cracked wing. I've had it for two years. A little glue, some packing tape, and toothpicks, and its as good as new. Oh yeah, I had to reglue the landing gear once. I bought some cheap extra batteries from HK and also added flaps. I love this plane and I would recommend it. In fact it is the only plane I haven't had to order a single replacement part for. Tough bird.

I have the UM P51 and Night Vapor for my micros. I rarely fly the P51 because it has wind problems and I can't seem to find the right conditions to fly it in much. The Vapor is nice and slow and relaxing and I can fly it in my small front yard. I cant really comment on the UM T28.

If you get the big T28, I VERY STRONGLY recommend getting some bright paint or monocote and applying it to the full undersurface of the wing. That gray color scheme is very easy to lose orientation on, especially in overcast. I went with flourescent green.
FalseHope is offline Find More Posts by FalseHope
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Dec 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
I was looking for a thread about stepping up to the T-28 I have a PZ P-51 and I was speaking with someone at the hobby store, they said that the T-28 is actually a little easier to fly than the mustang?? Not sure if that is true or not? My P-51 is a 3 channel and has no rudder control. I was thinking of getting a T-28 for my next plane.
+1 for sure! The T-28 is much easier to fly, I had a friend of mine get the P-51 for his first plane (because it was cheaper). After trying to fly it a few times he was ready to throw it in the trash because he was having such a hard time flying it. The P-51 is a great little airplane, just not a good first plane. After Buddy boxing with me and my 28 a couple times he ran out and bought his own.

Also Tunerm, A few people have mentioned using a buddy box. That will make learning much more enjoyable and much cheaper. Even if you just do it for the first flight or two to get a feel for the plane....
PilotPete01 is offline Find More Posts by PilotPete01
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:12 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Wow - thanks for all the responses/suggestions/advice! It's really been very helpful indeed!

I think I'll go with the full size T-28 for now and then maybe make my next plane (number 4) the UM T-28. This way, I can take the T-28 out and learn 4ch flying in a big open space and once I get pretty good I can buy the UM version to further hone my skills in my front yard (a smaller flying area) when the wind permits.

I probably won't buy it until February - gotta spread these purchases out a bit before the wife starts getting pissed! Since deciding to purchase my first plane, my spending pattern has been:

12/27 - bought Hobbyzone UM Champ. Had a blast but the wind frustrated me.
12/28 - bought the Hobbyzone Super Cub. LOVE THIS PLANE!!
12/29 - bought replacement cowl and firewall for SC (unfortunate nose dive accident)
1/1 - bought the blad mSR
1/5 - bought several mSR replacement parts (and countless hours getting back to great flying condition)
1/9 - bought tail replacement for UM Champ (did some damage dislodging it from a tree)
1/12 - bought DX6i (HUGE improvement in control for Blade mSR by the way)

So... I better give it a rest until February and then I'll buy the T-28! Thanks again for the advice and I'll let you know how it goes!

Oh - and someone asked how I like the Super Cub. I HIGHLY recommend this plane to any beginner. The only problem I've had is keeping the landing gear in place. It just sort-of pushes into a slot and it falls out all the time on me (even on takeoffs). Maybe it's defective. But other than that this is a WONDERFUL plane to learn on and it looks awesome as well.
Last edited by turnerm; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Spelling errors