HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,124 Posts
Discussion
KK Micro MultiCopter

Hey guys,

I couldn't find a specific thread for this quadrocopter, so I thought I'd start my own. Please let me know if there is another one. I would love to share and hear from other owners of this little quadrocopter.

----
Assembly:
http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=vieweng&mc_selected=MultiCopter&s c_selected=KKMulticopter&sn=micro_multi_full&id_no =49
----

----
How to configure the board:
http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=manual
----

----
Assembly videos:
http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=micro
----

Additional help/tips for setting up your KK board:
http://rcexplorer.se/page14/kkguide/kkguide/quad.html

----
Replacement motors:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.45731
----

I received mine yesterday and finished the built in about 2 hours. Not too bad! It came with the new blue board and flies in + configuration. As you can see, I've added some red LEDs to the rear to make orientation easier.

---
My setup:
- dx6i
- AR6100
- range of 2S/7.4V lipos (from 800 - 1000mAh)

Transmitter settings (dx6i in my case):

TRAVEL ADJUSTMENT
THRO: 100%
AIL/ELEV/RUDDER: 80%

D/R & EXPO SWITCH (0/1) SETTINGS
AIL: 80% and -15% (0), 100% and -35% (1)
ELEV: same as AIL
RUDD: 90% and -35% (0), 100% and -50% (1)

Both plane & heli mode will work, but make sure you set it to 90 degrees swashplate; 120 will NOT work!
----

- Normal Mode: channels @ 50%.
- Acro Mode: channels @ 65%.
- UFO Mode: rudder @ 90%, other channels at 50% (my personal favorite)

I've got my gains set to about 45; anything above and the quad starts oscillating quite a bit. This could be due to unbalanced props and I am sure I can get more out of it with a little more tweaking. That's half the fun anyway! With a little more gain, it should become even more stable.

I am really just getting to know this tiny machine but it's been a blast so far! Here are some videos (all taken with GoPro Hero).

---
WORKAROUNDS/FIXES:

Broken/lost soldering contact for motor wires:

Pinout of microchips are connecting points for motor wires. You can solder motor wires directly to microchip pin as can be seen in Saucisse's picture here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...371202&page=10

---

So all I had to do is solder the motor's wire directly to the microchip's pins

Current version montage:
KK Micro MultiCopter (3 min 59 sec)

Naked:
KK Multi MicroCopter (1 min 24 sec)

With protective frame:
KK Multi MicroCopter (with protective frame) (1 min 15 sec)

Cockpit view:
KK Micro MultiCopter (cockpit view) (1 min 56 sec)
Chris Burton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Burton
Last edited by Chris Burton; Feb 20, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:55 PM
Dorset. UK
Joined Mar 2010
105 Posts
Hi Chris, Nice video, will your quad hover hands free ? I'm having a little trouble with mine after hovering for a few seconds it will start to circle and become unstable. Seems fine when I'm actually fly it around though.
revogeoff is offline Find More Posts by revogeoff
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,124 Posts
Hey Geoff,

Thanks, there are more to come, including a short cockpit view vid. I have the same thing, it does fly great but I can't really get it to hover in one place. Actually I can, but it requires new trimming every time I fire it up. Let's what a little more gain with balanced props will do. When did you get yours?

Edit: I do wonder though why it's slightly circling without any rudder input. Ideas?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:32 AM
Dorset. UK
Joined Mar 2010
105 Posts
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the quick reply. I received mine just before Christmas.
When I first built it it would'nt fly well at all, so I did a gyro test by holding it in my hand an tilting it at about 1/4 throttle. When I tilted it left the left motor would speed up quickly as it should, but when I tilted it right the reaction was much weaker from the right motor. I suspected a bad motor and so swaped them around. It's better than it was but I am a bit suspicious of these little motors.
revogeoff is offline Find More Posts by revogeoff
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:34 AM
Bricks don't glide !
Joined Mar 2008
209 Posts
Hi Guys, my KK Micro Quad from Monsoo Kim will be arriving early next week.
Can't wait to build it and fly. A couple of questions in the mean time.
1. What size LiPo's are you using ? 2S or 3S ?
2. Flight time ?
3. What type of glue is safe to use to assemble the protective body ?

I will chime in with my experiences as soon as I get it in the air.
KayCee_V4 is offline Find More Posts by KayCee_V4
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,124 Posts
@Geoff: a bad motor can cause a lot of trouble on a quad you'd think. When I assembled mine I found that one of the motors had a little more resistance when spinning with my fingers. I was already preparing for the worst but strangely enough, all 4 work equally. At least from what I can see.

@KayCee: check out my first post, I am using 2S lipos in the range of 800 - 1000mAh but according to Minsoo you can go as high as 1500mAh. I haven't really measured flight times but I would say about 6 - 7 minutes on 800mAh, perhaps longer. I will do some thorough testing later today. I first thought the protective body is typical foam, but it's a much more dense variant. I only had CA in the house, so I took my chances on a small piece. Works perfectly. If you want to play it safe, use something without any solvents, as I am not entirely sure about this.

Be sure to let us know how things went (preferably with a bunch of photos ;-))
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:19 AM
Joined Apr 2008
269 Posts
hello everyone
i hope that everyone come to enjoy conversation
my english is poor But I will do my best to participate in KK Micro MultiCopter thread
Thank you very much
Minsoo Kim is offline Find More Posts by Minsoo Kim
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:21 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,124 Posts
Hi Minsoo!

Thanks a million for joining the conversation, it's much appreciated. Really enjoying the MicroCopter so far, great job :-)

I have a question, also on behalf of Geoff: is there any way to increase the gain without heavy oscillation? I am at around 40% now. Would balancing the props help?

Thanks and keep it up!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:00 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,431 Posts
I got mine flying well. I had an issue with it moving to the right and back. I tried just about everything and discovered that the prop savers were moving on the shaft. I could not get them tight enough to hold. Tried a little CA. Didn't work. I ordered a different kind of prop mount better but still not right. I then got my magnifying glasses out and discovered that there is a very tiny set screw on the shaft. Bought a jewelers screwdriver and it is now fixed. The quad flies well. I noted the "toilet bowl' effect as well. When I upped the gain on Ail and Elev, it went away. I am going to fine tune a little more this weekend but it is close now. Happy flying.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:44 PM
gocarina
Seoul in South Korea
Joined Apr 2008
25 Posts
kk Micro Multicopter Night flying

This is my kk micro multicopter by Minsoo Kim night flying vid with 8 LEDs.

Micro Multicopter Night Flying (2 min 47 sec)
gocarina is offline Find More Posts by gocarina
Last edited by gocarina; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:51 PM
gocarina
Seoul in South Korea
Joined Apr 2008
25 Posts
KK Micro Multicopter Keycam onboard at Snow Park

This vid is my Micro Multicopter Keycam onboard at Snow Park.

Micro Multicopter Keycam onboard at Snow Park (4 min 59 sec)
Last edited by gocarina; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,124 Posts
@Ed: I am going to have a look at that, interesting find. What are your gains set at approx. (also yaw)?

@Gocarine: excellent works, looks great. I only added red LEDs to the rear but this surely is inspiring stuff :-) Nice!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:16 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,431 Posts
Right now I am at 12/12/1. This was the recommended setting from Mr Kim and it seems to work best. I tried down to 10:30 and up to 1:30 before ending back at 12. I looked at the OEM motors and they do not have the set screw. But because of the speed of the motors, it is necessary that they be solidly connected to the props with no slip. It makes a huge difference.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:21 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,431 Posts
@gocarina very nice outdoor flying in a beautiful setting. I may have to take mine out tomorrow and see how it does. I have a GoPro and it should not have an issue with the 3S battery.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:21 PM
gocarina
Seoul in South Korea
Joined Apr 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Burton View Post
@Ed: I am going to have a look at that, interesting find. What are your gains set at approx. (also yaw)?

@Gocarine: excellent works, looks great. I only added red LEDs to the rear but this surely is inspiring stuff :-) Nice!

My Micro Multicopter's gain values are
Roll 45% Pitch 45% Yaw 60%
Total flying weight is 210g with 2cell 500mA.