SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:42 PM
Joined Sep 2009
9 Posts
hi all i have just received a new grafas from topmodel cz great service just like to know if anyone has used the hyperion gs glider motors if so which one esc and prop size would be a good help or are there any other motor prop esc combinations being used be good to hear about them to help me decide which way to go not being used for comps just pleasure cheers col
colpick53 is offline Find More Posts by colpick53
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:09 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Guys beware.

I had a few high adrenalin moments yesterday.

The main (pivot) carbon spar worked its way into the left stab tube and during a climb out the right stabilizer suddenly let loose and went nuts, the glider followed suit.

The stab was hanging on the small forward carbon peg and fluttering madly in the breeze.

I chopped the throttle and tried to get the pitch attitude level.

Then with the flaps and ailerons in crow position (greatly reduced air speed) and generous amounts of rudder (very little elevator authority) I managed to get it to the ground unscathed. Well almost unscathed I decided not to retract the flaps before touching down and a flap servo suffered a stripped gear.

I will fix both of these carbon rods into their respective tubes in one of the stab halves to minimize the possibility of an unwelcome recurrence.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colpick53 View Post
hi all i have just received a new grafas from topmodel cz great service just like to know if anyone has used the hyperion gs glider motors if so which one esc and prop size would be a good help or are there any other motor prop esc combinations being used be good to hear about them to help me decide which way to go not being used for comps just pleasure cheers col
Here yo go:
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...rion+Gs&Page=1

Model type Model name Motor Controller Cells Prop
Sailplane 3m Gracia F5J 3.1E Gs3032-8 Phoenix ICE 75 EM3300 3S Li-poly 18x9 Folding
Sailplane 3m Baracuda Electro Gs3032-8 Phoenix ICE 100 EM3300 4S Li-poly 16x8 Folding
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:43 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Colpick
If you choose an outrunner things can get a bit tight with the three power cables in some of the narrow nose gliders.

You could also have a look at the MVVS line as well. (cables come out of the back)

mike
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined Sep 2009
9 Posts
thanks for ideas guys col
colpick53 is offline Find More Posts by colpick53
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:19 AM
south germany
Joined May 2009
136 Posts
Gracia

Hi everybody,
I built a gracia, which is a grafas with V-tail.
Motor: Hobbyking 3548 (900/V), Superbrain 60A, Flightmax 3s 3000 mAh - AOW 1830 g .
Against the building instruction I put the servos directly into the V-tail.
She┤s a dream to fly - a phantastic glider!
Rainer

here┤s a vid of the maiden:
GRACIA TOPMODEL CZ (3 min 0 sec)
rainerm is offline Find More Posts by rainerm
Last edited by rainerm; Aug 12, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:36 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
14 Posts
I've (finally) finished my Grafas. I more or less followed the instructions and Mike's guidance in this thread (much appreciated - thanks, Mike). I went with the MVVS motor recommended, a Phoenix 75 lite ESC, Hitec servos (82's in wings, 65 for rudder, the digital equivalent for the elevator), 12.5 x 6.5 propeller, 4S 3200 mAh battery. The biggest problem I had was with the Bluebird servos I'd originally used for elevator and rudder - they wouldn't centre properly. There's also not much room for the pull-pull cables for the rudder and the mounting bolts at the rear of the wing. I note also that the mounts for the control horns for ailerons and flaps would be better off a little further outboard, making more room for installation of those servos. I didn't use the Multiplex connectors for the wing-tips, instead I used the typical servo connectors. After the servo lead was installed in the centre panel I removed the tube used as a guide to give more room at the wing join for the servo leads.

I haven't had many flights yet. I set up according to the throws and c of g as suggested in the building instructions. The only change I've made so far was to reduce the rudder throw. I'm still adjusting the power to the motor, but at present the plane takes about 20 sec. to get to 200 m, so I won't be doing much to that.

I'm keeping this one for sure...

John
jblenkin is offline Find More Posts by jblenkin
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hungary Hajduszoboszlo
Joined Jul 2008
77 Posts
Wing weight

Hi,

Somebody can help me to measure the winglets and middle section weight with servos? I want to know how much is the difference between the Grafas and Fascination wings.

Thanks in advance

Tamas

PS: http://www.youtube.com/user/Varicopa.../7/aTmY7v2ZE08
http://www.youtube.com/user/Varicopa.../2/LfEAFxLFUJU

My Fascination maiden
Varicopax is offline Find More Posts by Varicopax
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:38 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
Parts for the Grafas

Hello everyone -
This thread has been tremendously helpful. Thanks to everyone. I've been contemplating one of the TopModels from Esprit and I am wondering what you do if you need to replace a wing panel or a fuselage - how easy it it to obtain parts? Also, if one of the leading wing edges takes a severe ding - is it easy to splice in a piece of carbon, recover and get back to flying?
Also, I have found that Esprit Models is really terrific with communication on a few questions I have asked. My friend purchased a Topmodel from them and their service and communication with him has been terrific!
NZ7C is offline Find More Posts by NZ7C
Last edited by NZ7C; Sep 09, 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typos
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
could anybody tell what is the maximum diameter of motor that fits inside?
Could it be more than 36mm ?
cbjuss is offline Find More Posts by cbjuss
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:24 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Varicopax the center panel with two Hitec HS82MG servos is 450grams and each outboard panel with one Hitec HS82MG servo is 170 grams. Therefore total flying weight of complete wing is 790-800 grams depending on servo and wiring choice.

NZ7C you can purchase all parts for these gliders directly from the manufacturer if you cannot obtain them from within the USA. I recently purchased a complete uncovered wing to use on an old AVA fuselage. As for damage repair that would be to the individuals skills. These open built up panels are usually easy to repair when the need arises.

Cbjuss I measured the ID of the nose at the motor mount ring and it is 38mm. Logically you can fit in up to 36mm without modifications. Anything more will be quite a squeeze.

mike
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:00 AM
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Tnx!
cbjuss is offline Find More Posts by cbjuss
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:03 PM
south germany
Joined May 2009
136 Posts
one minute motor - one hour soaring...

Today we had a sunny day in Southern Germany with medium strong thermal.
My Gracia went up to 700 meters, with one minute of motor runtime she soared for one hour! Excellent glider.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:29 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Hi Rainer,
Good to hear you are enjoying your glider.

Eine stunde flugzeit und siebenhundert meter h÷he is certainly worth smiling about. (please excuse my high school German)

Many times I have been asked by people, after they finally managed to spot the speck in the sky “wow high is it?”

I could never honestly give an accurate reply so I purchased a small GPS receiver and I installed in my 3500mm Dragonfly Strong. Then during a flight finding consecutive thermals in a clear blue sky and with a friend standing next to me (four eyes instead of two) we managed to get the bird up till it was a tiny speck, at this point I started to feel very uneasy. Thinking that the great hand of god would scoop it up forever. So I dropped the flaps full down to avoid any wing snapping diving speeds and started nursing it down to a more sane height where I could see what it was actually doing.

Then I handed the transmitter around to my flying friends who wanted some stick time as well with this glider. When we finally landed we were surprised to see 1150 meters recorded. I imagine that there is some error in that measurement. I fly next to the sea so with whatever slight variations in atmospheric pressure the GPS was reading between 5-10m altitude.

mike
Last edited by mikmerl; Sep 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:21 PM
south germany
Joined May 2009
136 Posts
Kalispera,Mike (that┤s all my greek - so sorry...) -
yeah - I enjoy very much this glider! I never owned such a good soaring machine - my other models are 3-D-planes and acrobat stuff. This thermal soaring is new for me - so I┤m sometimes very surprised about gracia┤s performance: today - no good conditions for thermal soaring - I wanted to land, found a bit of thermal in maybe 5 or 10 meters hight - and gracia started to lift up to 500 meters in some minutes - the landing was half an hour later - for a thermal beginner like me incredible. I┤d like to say, I┤m so good - but I┤m quite sure, it┤s the plane which make me look so good ... . Anyway - it┤s big fun and I enjoy this meditating kind of model flying - and my other models wait and wonder, why I don┤t fly them anymore.
Rainer