HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:04 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Build Log
FROG Redwing

So here goes...

The Frog Redwing has to be one of the cutest models in the Frog stable. The first time I saw one was hanging up in Geoff Stubbs Model Shop and it immediately caught my eye. To add to that, my local club, the PMFC (www.peterboroughmfc.org) run the Frog Senior Series competition at the Peterborough Flying Aces each summer. So it had to be done!

First step is to visit Mike Stuart's House of Frog site www.houseoffrog.co.uk/senior_plans.htm where you can download the plans and parts sheet.

Printing the plan from pdf to A4 couldn't be easier. Printing the plan on A4 means you have to join up and tape three sheets together.

There are no instructions as such but everything is more or less self explanatory, plus there are some good tips on Mike's site.

The one thing I have done, is draw and cut out a dihedral template (9 degrees) for the inner ribs - not strictly neccessary but I think it'll help me be neat.

EDIT: I have subsequently found that the wing plan is slightly assymetrical - see post 18 for details!
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Last edited by Yak 52; Jan 14, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
Definitely cute !
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Thanks for the pic!

Here's the original FROG drawing:
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:16 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
A few people have built this design as a stick model. There's certainly scope for reducing weight in the design (it's pretty chunky) but...

I'll be building as per the plan for the PFA Senior Series. The only real way to get good flight times is to select really light wood...

Which I haven't got! But I'm wanting a nice robust outdoor model so I don't mind so much. In fact, if its under 30g I'll be chuffed!

The cutting of parts has begun - in fact I've done all the fuselage bits in an hour or two. My method is pritt-sticking the parts sheet to the wood and whipping the paper off again before it dries. The glue adhere's very little and any that does can be removed with fine sandpaper.

Using Pete Money's parts sheet (on Mike's site) has proved excellent - the bits fit together like a laser cut kit!

Just the ribs and wing tips to go!
Last edited by Yak 52; Jan 13, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:33 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
The ribs are finished - there are only 8, so not as taxing as some designs.

My method of finishing them is to stick a small section of spar through all eight for alignment and then sand them smooth - you do need to make sure they stay square, so sometimes taping them together helps.

I just need to strip some wood for spars and the leading and trailing edges and then I have a complete 'kit'.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:37 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Well all the bits (without trimming spars etc) come to 10g.

The ribs are 1/16" and the LE and spars are 3/32" x 3/16". As I said: pretty chunky for an 18" span model!

Feels like chopping firewood after my last peanut size build where eveything was 1/32 or 1/20! But it does make for a nice, simple model.

Attached is a file for the root rib dihedral template of 9 degrees - if anyone wants to use it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:02 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak 52 View Post
Feels like chopping firewood after my last peanut size build where eveything was 1/32 or 1/20!
Yes......many of these kits were designed to suite raw beginners, hence the compromising with weight...mostly, there is a considerable mariginal for own modifications in order to save weight, if pure flying performance is the first priority, that is...

Sometimes though, I feel following the original design is a challenge in itself....maybe an act of curiousity, and/or a kind of re-experience of "the ol´kit models", see what they were like......rewarding in its own way...

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jan 14, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:21 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Yeah - it's nice to not be obsessing about weight!

I'm not old enough to be genuinely nostalgic but I grew up with tales of the models my dad built in the early 50's (including a Frog Wasp) so it's enjoyable to have the sense of history with that comes with these designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
...many of these kits were designed to suite raw beginners...
You must forgive the (possibly excessive) detail in this thread, but it's for exactly this reason. The Redwing would make an excellent first FF model.

The plans are free and the materials cost only a few quid. It's a really easy build: providing you are reasonably accurate the pieces fit together extremely well.

Jon
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:38 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Some More Inspiration

Here are a few more pics of a Redwing that has been modified to break down and pack away.

Unfortunately I can't remember where the pictures came from or I would give a credit. I believe the gentlemen made the model for his granddaughter...

The in flight photos were also an inspiration for this build!

EDIT: This model was built by rgroener for his god son - not granddaughter! It's here on SFA and well worth a look!
Last edited by Yak 52; Apr 01, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:42 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,691 Posts
I built one from our kit..needed some noseweight and 6x1/8 rubber but flew 'as well as could be expected' getting up to maybe 20' in flights of maybe 15-20 seconds.

Enjoyed it so much that a bigger rubber model is on the cards.

It IS built for strength, not duration.

If you select the wood well, it should fly as plan, but if the wood is just normal, you will need noseweight, more rubber and a bit of downthrust.

Mine flew on 8" prop.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Here is a plan overview.

Download the actual plan at http://www.houseoffrog.co.uk/senior_plans.htm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,691 Posts
and here it is redrawn..for the kit..
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:53 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Thanks Vintage - give us a link to the replikit version?

The other company that has kitted the Redwing is A&DB Model Aircraft www.adbmodelaircraft.co.uk/frogrevisited.htm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:57 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak 52 View Post
Thanks Vintage - give us a link to the replikit version?

The other company that has kitted the Redwing is A&DB Model Aircraft www.adbmodelaircraft.co.uk/frogrevisited.htm
http://www.replikit.com/replikit2010...emart&Itemid=1

should get you there.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:35 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Redwing Specifications

Here is the full specification for those who may be interested in the design side of things or possibly (sacrilege!) putting mini RC in one.

Some one did build a 7" version which is pretty cool!
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488830

Redwing Specs

Span: 18”
Length: 13.2”
Chord: 3.25”
Aspect ratio: 5.68
Area: 57in²
Dihedral: 9° per panel
Weight target (Free Flight): 1oz
Wing loading: 2.5oz/ft²

Tail span: 7.1”
Tail aspect ratio: 3.63
Tail area: 14in²
Tail area as % wing area: 24.3%
Tail AC: 0.8” (20mm) aft of tail LE
Tail moment: 7.9”
Tail moment/MAC: 2.43 x MAC
Horizontal tail volume co.eff.: 0.591

Fin area: 5.5in²
Fin height: 2.9”
Fin aspect ratio: 1.5
Fin as % tail area: 39.6%
Fin as % wing area: 9.6%
Fin AC: 1.2” (30mm) forward of sternpost
Fin moment arm: 7.7”
Fin moment/MAC: 2.36 x MAC
Vertical tail volume co. eff.: 0.082

Nose moment (from thrust button): 3.6”
Nose moment/MAC: 1.12 x MAC

I compiled these figures when I was thinking of doing a double sized RC version. The areas were measured from the plan with my planimeter - probably my favourite design tool, bought on ebay, it smells of cigars and drawing offices!