HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Depends on who you are, and who you've asked.

I wouldn't offer it to a beginner, actually. If you're wanting to go three-channel, stick to coaxial design, it's a bit more worked out.

If you're contemplating "Big Boy" copters, SKIP the 3 channel single rotor, and just get one of the low-cost coax 4-channels.

Both of these single-rotor 3-channels have un-used servo mounts. My money is on a simple upgrade kit showing up for them, to make them into "real" copters...
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:41 PM
Raager Dat
United States, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
The 9101 is simply a large windbag, you won't have much forward flight power unless you perform some serious tinkering. Just get a fixed pitch helicopter, and take it easy - gradually learn to fly it. First you hover it 5 feet off the ground and trim, then begin flying it 10-15 feet above ground and slowly learn to maneuver it. In the end you'll have a much more responsive helicopter that can dice through mild winds.

If you want a coaxial, you should buy something small like a double horse 9102 which just became available recently - it's around 8 inches long. If you want an outdoor coaxial then I would recommend the MJX T-23 or T-34, MJX helicopters are much better then the large Double Horses.

Just a little experience I have with the few helicopters I've heard about or flown myself.
Steve1991 is offline Find More Posts by Steve1991
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:11 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
Both of these single-rotor 3-channels have un-used servo mounts. My money is on a simple upgrade kit showing up for them, to make them into "real" copters...
KB,

Would the included transmitters with any of these helis be capable of being used as 4 channel, if it were possible to install an upgrade for aileron function? What about the receivers?

Anyway, I had posted this video in the 9104 thread you started in the other section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M15lzxnRmoY

From the looks of it's high performance flight profile, definitely not a beginner's copter.

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Last edited by edwong3; Apr 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
It needs ROOM, yes. The head-speed is HIGH.
If this hits you or anything at speed, it will "win".

I think a whole new radio would be req'd to make it four-channel.

But if that came from Double Horse, it could be cost-effective to do...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:52 PM
Raager Dat
United States, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
Wowza that's fast, wish the video was more then 19seconds - really wanted to see how well? this thing does on slowing down.
Steve1991 is offline Find More Posts by Steve1991
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I got wind and rain...BUT, I'll attempt a short garage vid or two with these things...hang on.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lglenn View Post
I bought one a couple of months back from Xheli. Good service as always from Xheli, but I'm terribly disappointed in the performance of the 9101. Even in the fast mode, its forward and backward speed is at a snails pace, if at all. Outside, with any sort of breeze, it won't even move forward. On another forum, it was suggested that you glue some Syma S107 blades to the tail blade, which I did but got no improvement in forward speed, maybe even worse. They also suggested upgrading to a brushless N20PN tail motor, which I plan to do. Such a shame; the 9101 looks really good, it seems to be quite stable, and handles well. If only it would move a little.
So it sounds like the 9101 has a "slow" and "fast" setting on the TX to make the tail motor supposedly spin faster for faster forward flight?

I just don't know why these 3-channel heli designers can't come up with a 3-ch that will actually go forward faster if you want it to. A two speed setting on the tail motor sounds like an attempt at that, but they should make that tail motor scream in "fast" mode to get some decent forward speed out of a 3-ch coax.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:36 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I just don't know why these 3-channel heli designers can't come up with a 3-ch that will actually go forward faster if you want it to. A two speed setting on the tail motor sounds like an attempt at that, but they should make that tail motor scream in "fast" mode to get some decent forward speed out of a 3-ch coax.
well they could by just providing a better tail prop with stronger pitch or more surface area which may or may not decrease the lifetime of tail motor but you are still limited cause even with such a mod you are not gonna really move much against 3-4mph constant wind let alone when a gust of 5mph+ comes in, forget it... i've been playing in these kind of breezes outside the whole winter with various props and mods and coaxes are seriously limited on 3ch even worse than 4ch, if you want to move in some winds then you will have to go fp or better yet cp and forget 3ch altogether.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:21 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
More power leads to porpoising, the copter swings forward and halts, swings forward and halts. A coaxial's un-controlled upper blade set and flybar will always try to return the copter to vertical, and it's a fine balance to get one to fly forwards smoothly.
Also, a coax moving faster is more likely to death roll when attempting to change direction.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
So it sounds like the 9101 has a "slow" and "fast" setting on the TX to make the tail motor supposedly spin faster for faster forward flight?

If you want to to go forward faster, you have to choose the DH 9104.
incrediblerc is offline Find More Posts by incrediblerc
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:16 AM
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
Full list of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thercguy View Post
Looking for parts for New Double Horse 9101 3 Channel Co-Axial Helicopter w/ Built in Gyro
You can find most of the DH9101 parts here
http://cgi.ebay.com/Replacement-Spar...item5f776f2e99
or http://incrediblerc.com/?page_id=4&category=22
incrediblerc is offline Find More Posts by incrediblerc
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:07 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incrediblerc View Post
If you want to to go forward faster, you have to choose the DH 9104.
Does this one have any advantage over the 9100 other than its size?

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old May 02, 2011, 02:29 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
No. I consider them equal except for size- I've owned both.

Both will fly to one side constantly, but there are fixes...kinda.
Super-Durable, both of em'.
But neither- can fly "forward fast", because there just isn't enough swash throw.

I had servos to fit the bigger one, and gave the smaller 9100 away so I could focus on the 9104. Update soon on the tinkering.

Incrediblerc: If I can afford to sponsor the forums when I don't even sell copters, maybe you can too?

AND, Are you Computility, the Ebay seller you've linked to?
Somehow, I think this question will be ignored...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=983

Every one of your posts is selling something, isn't it.

Support RCGroups with their affordable advertising programs. I do.
Last edited by killbucket; May 02, 2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:22 AM
United States, FL
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lglenn View Post
I bought one a couple of months back from Xheli. Good service as always from Xheli, but I'm terribly disappointed in the performance of the 9101. Even in the fast mode, its forward and backward speed is at a snails pace, if at all. Outside, with any sort of breeze, it won't even move forward. On another forum, it was suggested that you glue some Syma S107 blades to the tail blade, which I did but got no improvement in forward speed, maybe even worse. They also suggested upgrading to a brushless N20PN tail motor, which I plan to do. Such a shame; the 9101 looks really good, it seems to be quite stable, and handles well. If only it would move a little.
is the forward speed worse then the 9053?
nvidia101 is offline Find More Posts by nvidia101
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:20 PM
United States, FL
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
or is it the same
nvidia101 is offline Find More Posts by nvidia101