SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:45 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
Build Log
RC Aerodyne 600 EC145

UPS arrived just in time for Christmas!

It was an exciting Christmas to receive my 600 size EC145 fuselage from RC Aerodyne.
To compliment my EC Smart Model build, RC Aerodyne has introduced a 600 size Helicopter.
The " Chaos 600 ", as it's called, is an absolute incredible value, to include carbon fiber parts and blades, CNC machined fittings and a fiberglass canopy, when flying it as a pod and boom.
The belt driven version of the Chaos 600, will be used for my EC145.
I look forward to sharing the Chaos assembly and it's outstanding quality as I move forward on the EC build.

This new German epoxy EC145 fuselage carried by RC Aerodyne , with it's high gloss painted finish and lighter flying weight, clearly represents quality changes as new technologies are introduced. This new models plastic windows were carefully covered in a protective plastic coating to be removed when ready for install. A clean and well designed structural frame makes for easy install of your mechanics.
Simplifying the angled tail assembly of the EC145 fuselage, Smart Model of HK, the designer of the EC kit, has included a preassembled angled gearbox for a belt driven tail, adding to the ease of assembly of this newly released kit. The kit also includes a longer tail belt to accommodate running the distance of the angled tail.

For one year now and with limited time to build, I've been building and modifying a 500 size EC145, as can be seen on Run Ryder. While that build keeps me grounded, it was my hopes to be up and flying with my new Memorial Hermann EC145.
Though I intend to build this model as kitted to save time, I would like to add just a few scale details to compliment this kit.
What gets me into trouble when I build, is making modifications, which sometimes I find are necessary, but can also become purely cosmetic and time consuming. I don't see that becoming the case with this EC, as there are already, many details that give this 52 1/4" long fuselage the eye catching appeal we all seek.

In discussing with Cliff, from RC Aerodyne, additional details will soon be available for this kit, such as a detailed cockpit.
The EC, has a very large, up front, glass enclosed cockpit area , making the additional detail of a cockpit,
well worth investing in, as it will compliment the nose of this beautiful model.

As I admire Hospital and Rescue helicopters in service, I chose the Memorial Hermann color scheme for my new EC145, 600 size project. It's bright flame red, black and white scheme should be very visible in the air.
To compliment the wow factor of it's size, the nicely finished glossy paint and molded details, along with the few I intend to add, I have no doubt, should draw attention, making this model one I'll be proud to show off.

This EC145 has a clean and simple assembly with loads of room for mechanics of choice and additional detail you may like to add to your build. There is an on-line manual, located on Smart Model's web-site, to point out the very basics and steps required for assembly.
I started my build by detailing and shaping the windows. Using a reference from a set of three views, I cleaned up their shape and in some cases, slightly increased the size.
Using Foremost Products, small window trim, I added the emergency push out window framing appearance on the central sliding door.. Again , I have to keep telling myself, keep it simple, as I will, but easy add on window trim can make a large difference in the windows appearance with very little effort.
I'm now hunting for a red color match to paint the additional fittings I would like to add.
flyenrw is offline Find More Posts by flyenrw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:00 PM
Now Wren 1701
Wren, MS
Joined Jul 2005
1,325 Posts
I'll be watching, I had talked to Cliff a while back about doing the UH-72 version of these.....waited forever and they just got them in stock a few weeks ago. I've already started an AS-350 so my 145 will have to wait a while longer. I work at Eurocopter building the military version of these and I have to have one.
Wren1702 is offline Find More Posts by Wren1702
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
Hi Wren1702, I strongly considered the Lakota too, but opted for the Hospital version EC.. I have a 500 size build, I'll finiish as Florida Flight One.. I wanted to keep my detail work to a minimum, so I could fly it sooner. I know myself too well and would be adding external detail if to do the UH-72A .
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:42 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Ahhh, a new toy...gotta love it

Where did you get the 3 view?
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
Hi there..........SidewaysLS4
The 3 view is included in a EC145 CD walk around from

http://www.cine-scale.com/en/index.html
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:17 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Could you point me how to get to the right area? Dummy me cant find it. Do they have any other heli 3-views there?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:24 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
The horizontal stab assembly is molded as one piece, making for a simple alignment of the two sides.
To attach it to the tail boom, I removed the paint in the area to be epoxied w/ 180 grit paper.
Pretty much a puzzle fit assembly. A little epoxy and this joint is solid.

I didn't want to glue the vertical fins in place as recommended in the manual, instead I removed the horizontal stabs tips, hollowed out the remaining glass and inserted a 1/8" two ply laminate of lite-plywood, cut to the interior shape and epoxied in place.
Using two screws for attachment, this method made the vertical fins easily removed.
I later plan on adding lights to this EC, now I can take it apart to run the wires.
Since Murphy seems to lurk in the background, I also felt this method of attachment would make for easier repair.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
Hi there SidewaysLS4,
It's been a while since I looked at the site. I just looked about and found in the section marked building accessories, 3/4 way down the list, they now indicate the CD's are available from dealers. If you have an interest in my 3 views, I will post the other two views.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:38 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
That's ok...I was hoping there was some more Eurocopter stuff there, like AS350 which I'd be really interested in, no biggie.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
The next step brings it all together, so now, you can step back and admire the shape of the EC when the tail boom becomes attached to the fuselage.
These two surfaces need to be rough sanded to create a good bonding surface for the epoxy used in the joint.
I used a non sagging epoxy called Epo-Grip, Mfg by Newton Supply. The company featured it's products at Top Gun, here in Florida in 2009. Because it won't slide from it's intended surface, made it a good choice for adhering in a vertical plain.
To attach the tail boom to the fuselage, you first mark and drill holes into the fuselage where the tail boom will attach.
I chose a vertical and horizontal axis of four points.
Drilling into the plywood surround provides additional strength for this attachment.
Now, align the tail boom to the fuselage and transfer the hole location to the tail boom. Drill out the marked hole locations in the tail boom.
I felt the hole pattern would be stronger in two opposite plains than on a parallel as show in the manual.
Using epoxy to adhere the fuselage to the tail boom, the two pieces are now screwed together with socket head screws, washers and nuts, while sandwiching a nice bond of epoxy in this joint.
For me, in the pre-assembly drill, trying to place plain nuts supplied by the factory, on lose screws inserted, was nearly impossible in the narrow passage where these parts come together.
A simple resolve to this was to replace regular nuts, with blind nuts. My local Hobby Shop didn't have metric blind nuts, so I replaced all the hardware with 4/40. Having blind nuts immediately eased assembly of the tail boom to the fuselage.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
This EC145 model is featured with the air-conditioning vents, topside, where the tail boom attaches to the fuselage,
Smart Model glues two separate plastic vent surrounds to the surface to simulate this intake for the air-conditioning coils.
I used this added detail as an opportunity to allow interior generated hot air to escape, by simply opening up the slots which also provided additional detail to the exterior.
I did this using my dremel and a 1/16th drill bit as a router.
Following the cuts, I used a 1/64 birch plywood sanding palate and glued 320 and 180 grit sandpaper to opposite sides to finish sand the slots.
Using Tamiya acrylic gloss black paint, I cleaned up the look of the cut slots by applying paint to the unfinished cuts.
To finish off a visual distraction of the interior and to further simulate the air-conditioning coils, I made a frame of 1/4" sq stock balsawood, painted it black and glued a vinyl screen material that will rest 1/4" away from the top side view when glued in place underneath the vent surround.
Using Metro Aviation http://metroaviation.com/ as a source of information for conversion builds, I was able to add a functional and simple visual detail to my build. For more elaborate and accurate scale detail, this site includes drawings.
For now, other than having cut the windows to shape, I've posted all accomplished of my EC project. looking forward to the next steps!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
The topside vents finished up, created the intended look I had hoped for and will provide for additional hot air venting while at the same time adding a simple detail.

Cutting the slots, building and assembling the frames with mesh, to include touch up painting in black, may have taken 2 1/2hrs.

I've now started on the windows, which are really looking good! All of the windows have a molded convexed face.

When I earlier enlarged the side windows, I did check to be sure that there was enough plastic surround in the window to accommodate enlarging the frames.
The EC145 with it's huge front glass, took a while to fit, but will turn out well when taking time to cut and check the fit.
Smart Model has added a protective film to the windows to prevent scratching and should be removed when ready to glue the windows in place.

I used a clear adhesive called P. F. M. by Innovative Model Products, located in Margate Florida. It is similar to Zap A Dap A Goo II.
My motivation to use this type of adhesive was to keep the bond flexible, which, if to use CA, might speed up the process, but the bond would be brittle.
I would recommend taking time, cutting on the outline embossed from the mold and taking small segments to the finished fit.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined May 2006
70 Posts
I finished off the landing gear assembly, which, with the metal fittings to attach to the skids to the upright tubing, provides for a strong attachment.
The fittings provided are thru-bolted, with nuts and washers to complete assembly.You must align the parts and drill the holes into the tubing to hold the skid tube fittings in place.
To complete the assembly, after the bolts are passed into the holes drilled, washers and nuts are attached.
I"ll use thick CA to be sure the nuts don't come lose.
The ends of the skid tubes are finished off with a nicely cut CNC cap, which has a slightly larger OD than the tube it presses into, offering enough friction to hold them in place with a light tap. I used a plastic hammer to seat the end caps.
Using the on-line manual as a guide, I placed the rear skid tube fittings, 45mm from the ends of each skid tube and attached them with the nuts and bolts at their proper alignment.
Loosely assembling the entire landing gear, I used the fuselage groves to hold the gear in place to align the front gear legs with the skid tubes, marked there location and secured the fittings.
This is optional interest and was not necessary, but I noticed the that the model sat parallel to the ground when on the landing gear and though this is a semi-scale model, I want it to resemble the profile of it's full scale with a lower rear leg stance, so I cut 1/8th inch off each side of the rear landing gear legs, to lower the fuselage further.
To attach the landing gear to the hull, you first drill two holes in the proper location in the landing gear trough, located in the underside of the fuselage.
Then, from the inside of the fuselage as it sits on the gear, using a marker pen, mark the holes made onto the gear tube and drill the holes in the tube for mounting the gear 3mm nuts, washers and bolts.
More on this later, as I would like to suggest a small modification of strength to this attachment.
I'll use Sherwin Williams automotive etching primer for the aluminum gear and the finish them off with a gloss black lacquer paint to match the hull.
Later, when the model is complete, I would like to add more detail to the landing gear as noted on the full scale Memorial Hermann EC, but I have to keep telling myself build the model and add the detail later.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:00 AM
Joined Aug 2009
84 Posts
Cool- nice work looking very good so far!
trickfrog is offline Find More Posts by trickfrog
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:34 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Like the metal fittings to connect skids to uprights. Where did you get them or did you have stamping press to make them?
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor