HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
Discussion
NOVA RC Park Flyers

"Hear Ye, Hear Ye": This is unofficial thread for a "fun fly" invite within the NOVA area during this 2012 season.

FYI: (Updated Jan. 2011)
a. No commitment to join it’s for whoever can make it on the weekend (weather permitting).
b. Anybody in the NOVA area can start a "fun fly" invite on this thread and whoever is interested can attend.
c. This is not a club just NOVA people who want to fly at the park/school for fun.
d. Local flying fields will be posted during flight or weekend meets but just the abbreviation.
e. If you want the exact location you can PM me or the person doing the invite.
f. This is also a discussion thread of EP plane/helis as well as a help thread for NOVA people.
g. Local flight vids or pics can be posted here.
h. Electric planes/heli park flyers only "NO Nitro or Gassers."
i. You are responsible for your own actions particularly when operating your RC Planes/Helis!
j. (CYA) Please be safe and be aware of your surroundings when flying your EP RC Helis/Planes @ field sites.
k.There are park/school/vacant lot rules and restrictions so fly at your own risk.
l. Please limit the persons attending since too much people can be chaotic.
m. Since parks/schools cannot be reserve it would be appropriate for the person doing the invite to scope the place 30min prior to the actual event and inform people accordingly.
n. Please arrive and leave the park/school/vacant lot site in the same condition you found them. Respect the property and don't litter!

Common Sense Rules @ the field: (Updated July 2011)
a. Once a flyer is airborne please ask to join as a courtesy. Unless agreed to by air pilots only 2 at a time please or whatever is agreed on the funfly invite.
b. Its best practice to follow an established flight pattern (CCW or CW) of the first pilot to avoid mid air collisions. This only applies when multiple planes are in the air.
c. RC Helis have different flight patterns i.e. 3D or sport flying the rules of CCW or CW doesn’t apply.
d. While we welcome youngsters please keep track of their whereabouts.
e. Do not fly over the Golf Course.
f. Do not use the main road for takeoff or landings.
g. Flight ceiling limit is 300 feet or 150 feet when a full-scale aircraft is overhead.
h. Announce take off and landings from the field.
i. If possible avoid flying over fields i.e. soccer, lacrosse, and baseball when people are present.
j. Avoid flight in the area of a Novice since they are usually nervous.
k. Keep activities to RC Flying and minimize exposure in the center of the field.
l. No flying above the PIT area and flight line. Please fly across the flight line if possible.
m. Always ask a Novice if you can assist, we want to expand the hobby and minimize “learn through crash.”
n. Even if experienced don’t be afraid to ask for assistance.
o. As an informal group, there is no AMA membership requirement, however it is highly recommended.

Sample Format for Invites: (Updated Feb. 2011)
When: 1.13.2020
Where: LMS
Time: 2:30-3:30pm
Weather: 40 degrees with 6-7mph wind
Who's going: Gixxernoob, Franco etc…

**Note: Posting on this thread denotes that you are aware and have read the FYI and Common Sense Rules.
**Note: This thread also complies with RCG forum rules so please "no drama."







************************************************** ***************
NOVA RCPF Invite Section: (Updated 3.23.2012)
************************************************** ***************
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Last edited by gixxernoob; Mar 26, 2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Updated for invite section....
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
Registered User
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
Carlo, you need to help me stop crashing helicopters! I'm sure I'll make some of these meets.
LooseTooth is offline Find More Posts by LooseTooth
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:39 AM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseTooth View Post
Carlo, you need to help me stop crashing helicopters! I'm sure I'll make some of these meets.

LMAO! Sure Kenny I will help you on flying heli's! It's been a while since we flew near that ffx hospital area! Btw we need to get together soon for some funfly at the park
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
RC Addict
anatoly's Avatar
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
I'd be interested to know when and where, I just don't know if I would fly when it's as cold as it's been around here. It gets pretty chilly just standing around looking up at the sky. I also flew at LMS, but it's a bit of a drive for me from inside the beltway.
anatoly is offline Find More Posts by anatoly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:35 PM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatoly View Post
I'd be interested to know when and where, I just don't know if I would fly when it's as cold as it's been around here. It gets pretty chilly just standing around looking up at the sky. I also flew at LMS, but it's a bit of a drive for me from inside the beltway.
If possible it will be all over the NOVA area depending on field availability. And since most of the people that might be interested are from the different parts of the NOVA area it would be just fair to visit their respective county. The meet times would be mostly on the weekends or holidays and at least around 5mph wind condition to 10mph max. I know it has been cold lately so the meet times would be between 1-3pm where the heat is at its peak This is not going to be an all day affair particularly this winter season since the temperature plummets rapidly in the afternoon and some of us have things to do or other responsibilities.
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Last edited by gixxernoob; Jan 16, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:57 PM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
This is my T28 with stock parts on it. Let me see what you got! Post up your planes or Helis!
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Last edited by gixxernoob; Jan 13, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:35 AM
RC Addict
anatoly's Avatar
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Nice thing is that during the winter, no one is playing sports on those fields unless the weather is *really* nice, so field availability shouldn't be a huge problem until the weather gets warmer. Your other parameters sound fine for winter flying. Time is definitely limited on my end as well, but I do hope to meet up with you guys sometime.

Just remember to keep those LiPos warm!
anatoly is offline Find More Posts by anatoly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:51 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
I'm up for the challenge... I do want to try the Industrial park off backlick road and down from the Fairfax Sportsplex. Since I have gone electric, I have been trying different locations. The Featherstone park in Woodbridge was Ok but a little tight.

I do have several locations to try out that are in the Manassas area. One off the parkway is supposed to be just behind the "FBI" building.. and I've found a couple other
potential locations using Google Maps.

Just need the temps to go up and the winds to go down.


KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:01 AM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatoly View Post
Nice thing is that during the winter, no one is playing sports on those fields unless the weather is *really* nice, so field availability shouldn't be a huge problem until the weather gets warmer. Your other parameters sound fine for winter flying. Time is definitely limited on my end as well, but I do hope to meet up with you guys sometime.

Just remember to keep those LiPos warm!

Thanx for the heads up on LiPos! I know they are poor performers when its cold outside and probably takes a few mah from the battery when its sitting outside on this cold weather! Hopefully you can join us in the future!
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:02 AM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
I'm up for the challenge... I do want to try the Industrial park off backlick road and down from the Fairfax Sportsplex. Since I have gone electric, I have been trying different locations. The Featherstone park in Woodbridge was Ok but a little tight.

I do have several locations to try out that are in the Manassas area. One off the parkway is supposed to be just behind the "FBI" building.. and I've found a couple other
potential locations using Google Maps.

Just need the temps to go up and the winds to go down.


KKKKFL
Cool! You finally found the site! The more options we have to fly around NOVA area the better. Lets keep on searching for fields that we can use
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:27 AM
RC Addict
anatoly's Avatar
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxernoob View Post
Thanx for the heads up on LiPos! I know they are poor performers when its cold outside and probably takes a few mah from the battery when its sitting outside on this cold weather! Hopefully you can join us in the future!
It's not only that you lose mAh, you lose C, that is discharge capacity. So not only does the power drop if you "cold start" a battery, the potential to over-discharge the pack goes up, which may lead to puffing and/or shortened lifespan. So yeah, you always, always want to keep the pack warm until right before you're going to use it. After that, just flying the battery should keep it warm enough. If you have a lot of cooling, you might even consider taping over those cooling vents for the winter.

As far as keeping the packs warm, I used to put reusable heat packs in my battery box, which would work for 1-2 hours, but now I just stuff what I need in the inner pockets of my winter coat.
anatoly is offline Find More Posts by anatoly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
Here's a Google map link to check out... I've flown in the Veterans park, just below the ball fields.. you can make out the parking lot and side by side Soccer fields. The problem is that the wind has always been squirrelly, and I don't know why... but if you check out Dawsons beach road, and the Wildlife refuge.. there looks to be an area across from the Golf coarse... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...26908&t=h&z=15

What do you think?
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:11 AM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatoly View Post
It's not only that you lose mAh, you lose C, that is discharge capacity. So not only does the power drop if you "cold start" a battery, the potential to over-discharge the pack goes up, which may lead to puffing and/or shortened lifespan. So yeah, you always, always want to keep the pack warm until right before you're going to use it. After that, just flying the battery should keep it warm enough. If you have a lot of cooling, you might even consider taping over those cooling vents for the winter.

As far as keeping the packs warm, I used to put reusable heat packs in my battery box, which would work for 1-2 hours, but now I just stuff what I need in the inner pockets of my winter coat.

I might just do the same. I'm thinking of putting heat packs inside my small igloo cooler to warm it up.
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
Here's a Google map link to check out... I've flown in the Veterans park, just below the ball fields.. you can make out the parking lot and side by side Soccer fields. The problem is that the wind has always been squirrelly, and I don't know why... but if you check out Dawsons beach road, and the Wildlife refuge.. there looks to be an area across from the Golf coarse... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...26908&t=h&z=15

What do you think?
Oh! that looks like a winner in the woodbridge area! We have to check that out! Btw I think this is the Mantua that Wheelnut is talking about...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...09624&t=h&z=17
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Last edited by gixxernoob; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:42 PM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
gixxernoob's Avatar
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
When: 1.15.2010
Where: LMS
Time: 1-3pm
Weather: Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 43F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Who's going: gixxernoob & franco2fly
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Last edited by gixxernoob; Jan 15, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Patty Wagstaff w/ engine, local Martinsville, Va only JEanes Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 20, 2010 04:04 PM
Discussion DLG Flyers in or around Fairfax, VA ? sajeev Hand Launch 3 Apr 02, 2008 12:42 PM
Sold Hotliner Siren mint condition (Wash DC/Fairfax Va.) NCQ3 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 12 Jan 26, 2007 10:48 PM
Slopes near Fairfax, VA? DaveyDave Slope 3 Oct 14, 2003 07:32 AM
Flying in Fairfax County , VA Parks GooberVA Electric Plane Talk 3 May 17, 2003 08:25 PM