HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:49 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Discussion
Which two DW Foamie Models are the Best, and is their a night-flying kit interest?

Dear 3D Foamie Flyers,

Which are the two most popular and best flying DW Foamie kits, and would there be an interest in a night flying lite strip kit offered, especially if it came pre-installed?

How much would you be willing to pay for a pre-installed night flying set up?
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,959 Posts
Which model is "best" is mainly user preference, and you will always get varying results on which model is best, but if I had to take a guess it'd have to be the Yak 54 and Juka.

As for night flying, DW has something MUCH better than strip LED lights:

DW Flite Lights

Basically they're 4 LED lights mounted on a bracket that you tape to your wingtips (or mount them however you wish), and have extensions that plug into a lighting regulator. The whole thing weighs about an ounce, and is powered off your flight pack. The current draw is very small, you shouldn't even notice a shorter flight time.

I use mine all the time when I go night flying. A LOT easier to see than LED strip lights, as you can see the entire airframe lit up at one time
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:20 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Well my favorite model is very very hard. I think I have to say that right now I'm obsessed with my 40" Fusion dEEPron Juka. I really really love the way that plane flies. However I do have a 48" Yak 55SP-M next in line to be built within the next week or so. I loved their 48" Extra but will have a better idea how it stacks up against the Yak in a few weeks.

I don't think I'd pay extra for the night flying kit installed. It really isn't too difficult to install them (from what I have seen of the night lights, it seems fairly plug and play). Although I really think I want myself a set of those lights...they aren't cheap but damn do they look really good. I know they will be worth the money. Now I just have to decide if I want to light up my 48" or my 40".

I may also try my hand and doing my own lighting system...I just don't know how well it will turn out. I may try it first just because it might be fun...
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:33 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Which model is "best" is mainly user preference, and you will always get varying results on which model is best, but if I had to take a guess it'd have to be the Yak 54 and Juka.

As for night flying, DW has something MUCH better than strip LED lights:

DW Flite Lights

Basically they're 4 LED lights mounted on a bracket that you tape to your wingtips (or mount them however you wish), and have extensions that plug into a lighting regulator. The whole thing weighs about an ounce, and is powered off your flight pack. The current draw is very small, you shouldn't even notice a shorter flight time.

I use mine all the time when I go night flying. A LOT easier to see than LED strip lights, as you can see the entire airframe lit up at one time
Thanks for the lights set up on 3D foamies!

We are trying to decide if we should add 3D foamies to our website, and I think there will be an emerging market for night flying IF we can provide lighting kits that the hobbiest can easily install or have pre-installed.

What are your thoughts?

Check out the website now under construction:

http://www.planeadrenalinrc.com/
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:28 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,660 Posts
While you guys are talking about the DW light kit, do you thing this kit would work with a small balsa plane as well. Like maybe a 3D Hobby Shop 41" Edge or one of the many 48" size planes from 3DHS or Extreme Flight?

-Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:55 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:34 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman777 View Post
While you guys are talking about the DW light kit, do you thing this kit would work with a small balsa plane as well. Like maybe a 3D Hobby Shop 41" Edge or one of the many 48" size planes from 3DHS or Extreme Flight?

-Dustin
There's no reason you can't, they can pretty much be mounted anywhere, and DW has kits that go up to 60" wingspans.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:49 AM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
There's no reason you can't, they can pretty much be mounted anywhere, and DW has kits that go up to 60" wingspans.
That's good to know. I really like the look of this light kit and the one plane I've lit up with the strip LEDs took a ton of time to get everything soldered and wired up. This "plug and play" setup on this one looks great.

-Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Closed Thread