HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:45 PM
at work
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jul 2008
91 Posts
Discussion
Jet Hangar Hobby Mirage III

I found one of these locally for a pretty descent price it is completely assembled and includes a turbax fan unit with glow motor - which I will immediately replace with an EDF unit if I decide to get it.

Questions are: how old is the kit? it has a large cheater hole in front of the fan unit built into the bottom of the wing AND there is no ducting at all from the inlets to the fan unit just a huge open area. It also seems to have bellcrank setups for aileron and flap mechanics.

I had wondered if there was ducting available or am I gonna have to make it up myself?? I know it isnt gonna be difficult to close up the cheater hole.

I am also uncertain of how old the fan unit is or if it can be converted or if I just need to replace it.

Anyone with any info/experience with this jet please chime in. Pics and setup recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
blurz28 is offline Find More Posts by blurz28
Last edited by blurz28; Jan 18, 2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: change catagory
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:07 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,165 Posts
there is ducting for it ...you might have a odl one .is it a balsa built up wing ?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:15 AM
at work
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jul 2008
91 Posts
I'm really not sure.... I only got to look it over for a few minutes. If I was guessing I'd say it was built like a standard kit would come spar/ribs/balsa sheeted cause it was surprisingly light......

Where can I find the ducting???
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:19 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
Im certain there is some good build info for you here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554636
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995191

Hope that helps!
Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:23 AM
at work
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jul 2008
91 Posts
Holy Cow!!!!! yep thats exactly it!!!! has the huge cheater hole and 2 spots in the wing for tanks(none installed) and the opening at the back for the servos to attach to the bellcranks.......

I'm gonna have to read through those......

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:01 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,165 Posts
contact Jet hanger Hobbies for any parts you need .
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:37 PM
at work
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jul 2008
91 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys!!!!

Gonna pull the trigger on this one.......

Now I just gotta gather the components and get it finished before spring....
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
at work
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jul 2008
91 Posts
Updating the thread with pics of the mirage....

The jet as seen is 7.4lbs with the fan and motor installed....
it has a 45" wingspan is right at 5' long.
4" diameter exhaust. And the spots for the tanks in the wings are 2.25"x5.25"

Here are the pics:
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:20 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,165 Posts
that is a nice one ,looks like a K&B 7.5 motor ,and it has the version 1 ducts ,with the cheater hole.a E-Turbax would drop right in .thy do have better ducting now with no cheater hole .....not sure if the fan needs to be moved for c/g with batts ...best to ask "Jetmang" as he has one that is EDF.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:58 PM
at work
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jul 2008
91 Posts
Yeah, whoever built it did a very nice job..... I plan on ordering the new ducting from JHH and I think I'm gonna go for the 12s setup from XPS - Dynamax fan/and big screamer
motor. Anyway, I'm really excited to get going on the plane. I'm gonna use a set of the Eflight or Rclander electric retracts. Started looking for a castle HV 160.......
I also have a source for some cf fabric to make the thrust tube out of......
and any other kind of reinforcement I might need!!!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:34 PM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,842 Posts
Make the boundary layer splitters in the intakes removable for flight. Thrust tube can be light, Mylar. Seal off the cheater, you do not want that. If worried about airflow go with a 100-110mm fan, Stumax, Tamjet, Sapac etc. just slice the ducting to shrink around the fan housing. You may want to add the canards, "KFIR" style. Mine flew better with them.
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:43 PM
at work
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jul 2008
91 Posts
I'll have to check out the canards.... I think it looks much cooler with them. What do you mean making the boundary layer splitters removable??
I need to figure out where the cg spot is too. And what servos I need to use.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,165 Posts
the E-turbax is lighter than the xps set up .....not sure where your batts will go,maybe in the fuel tank position . any way i think it will depend on the C/G as to which way you should go .the canards will change the c/g location .....yours has the sport wing 45" the scale wing was @ 36" i think .i built one way back and sold it for the movie Iron eagle ....it got bolwn up .
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:54 PM
at work
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jul 2008
91 Posts
yeah, I've read through both of the threads provided above..... hate to see such detailed
work that you've invested so much time and effort in just get toasted like that. Wish I had the patience for such things.... but I'm more of a get it finished and fly the crap out of it kinda guy. I'm not sure about weight differences between the JHH e turbax and the XPS unit - BUT what I do know is that my wallet will be $200 lighter if I buy the Eturbax from JHH.....
Thats $200 I can put toward more batteries or an ESC.......
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:21 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,743 Posts
the e turbax is a great option for the mirage. especially with the sport wing. im currently building the KFIR, with the "iron eagle wing" which is between the sport wing, and scale wing. i plan to run a slightly cut down turbax.

id go with the 12s e turbax for sure, though the 10s version would do well too. just make sure you get the updated ducts, and cover up that cheater
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut