HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Discussion
DX7 and AR600 won't bind

Just bought an AR600 to replace a suspect 6100, but cannot get it to bind to my radio. keeps flashing for over 60 seconds.

anyone seen this?

ideas?

thanks,
tim
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:26 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkers View Post
Just bought an AR600 to replace a suspect 6100, but cannot get it to bind to my radio. keeps flashing for over 60 seconds.
tim
There's nothing special about AR600. Bind problems are nearly always procedure errors (very occasionally a defective receiver). Make sure the Tx is at least 3 feet away and off. Insert bind plug in RX and apply power. Light should flash rapidly. Press and hold bind button (or whatever your Tx requires) while turning on Tx. Within 5-10 seconds, flashing should stop (you can release button), after a pause light should come on solid, indicating bind. Turn off Rx, pull bind plug. Turn off Tx. Plug in servos and test.

What transmitter are you using?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:28 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
I have over 10 spektrum rxs and never had trouble like this. I wasn't 3 feet away, but all other procedures have been observed.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
I have over 10 spektrum rxs and never had trouble like this. I wasn't 3 feet away, but all other procedures have been observed.
You may have a defective receiver, but double check everything.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:36 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
tried over 3 ft, no change. this is a new model rx for me. I have AR7000, 6110 and some 6100 and the binding process was pretty quick and easy.

I was concerned that this one has that long antennae to likely increase sensitivity and that might require further distance.

tim
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:00 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
tried over 3 ft, no change. this is a new model rx for me. I have AR7000, 6110 and some 6100 and the binding process was pretty quick and easy.

I was concerned that this one has that long antennae to likely increase sensitivity and that might require further distance.

tim
As I said, there's nothing special about the AR600. It's basically just an AR500 with all six channels functional. It doesn't have a long antenna, it simply has one of the two antennas on the end of a coax cable. This does not increase sensitivity any more than the satellite of the AR7000 does. Rather it's a way of achieving signal diversity that improves the reliability of the RF link. Hence it is superior to the single dipole antenna of the AR6100 or the two closely spaced monopoles of the AR6110.

None of this should make any difference to binding. Either there's a problem with how you are doing it (which doesn't seem likely as you haven't had problems with binding previously) or you have a defective receiver (also, you might just check the transmitter by re-binding one of your other receivers).

It looks as though you should get in touch with Horizon Hobby Service Department.

By the way, the 3-foot distance has always been a recommendation of Spektrum and applies equally to all receivers. In fact, I find that most of the time they bind OK at closer distances, but once in a while binding is delayed or prevented by close proximity. The same is true of subsequent link-up -- having the Tx very close may cause problems.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
I put the 6100 back in, bound no problem, like 5 sec. I'll return the AR600 to aero micro tomorrow.

maybe the bind plug connector isn't soldered.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
I put the 6100 back in, bound no problem, like 5 sec. I'll return the AR600 to aero micro tomorrow.

maybe the bind plug connector isn't soldered.
If it flashed, it had gone into bind mode, which suggests the problem is not that.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
here is the sequence I used which worked ok on the 6100 and all my other radios.

flight pack off, tx off.
power flight pack with bind plug in the bind location,
power tx with bind switch depressed. observe rx blinking.
wait.

expect blink rate to increase, never happens.
blinks for over 60 seconds no change.

no joy.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:20 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
here is the sequence I used which worked ok on the 6100 and all my other radios.

flight pack off, tx off.
wait.

no joy.
There are a few things that don't add up here.

The initial Rx blinking does not depend on the transmitter. And it should be rapid (it will not increase). Simply power up the Rx with the bind plug in place. It should immediately start blinking rapidly. If it doesn't you have a receiver problem (or a plug in backwards, etc.). If it does, the Rx should be receptive to a Tx in bind mode.

So now (and not before) press bind button and power up Tx. Hold the button until the Rx flashing stops and light goes solid (you can release somewhat earlier, but it does no harm to keep holding). You now have bind.

Note that there is a different kind of blinking caused by the receiver having lost power and being re-powered without the Tx turned off (brownout warning). It will go on forever (or until you turn everything off and start again). The Tx must be turned off whenever the Rx is turned off if you are to avoid this blinking. It's slower than the bind mode blink.

When the receiver was blinking for 60 seconds plus, did you have a servo plugged in and try control? The power warning blink does not prevent the radio working.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:27 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
agreed, rx blinking was at rx power up. at this time tx was off, then I turned tx on with bind switch depressed.

on all my other rx binding, there was always a change in the rx blink rate when the tx with bind button depressed was powered up. not so in the case of the AR600 for me during multiple attempts.

in all cases after long no bind condition, I powered both down and waited several seconds before trying again.

since the 6100 came up first time using same method, I'm thinking the AR600 itself. I bought it at a local spektrum distributor and will take it by there tomorrow at lunch. might just go with a 6200 and pay the extra $20 if they will take this one back.

i guess it's conceivable that there was residual charge in the BEC after unplugging the battery that made it think it was a brown out and not a full power up. I tried it in two different sessions though with multiple times each session.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:00 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,507 Posts
Quote:

flight pack off, tx off.
wait.

no joy.
We've had this happen before and Horizon replaced it. It was not an AR600 but an AR6250 before the recall. It acted like it wanted to bind but when the Tx was turned on with the button pushed the rx just kept blinking...
We had other new 6250's in the same batch and they all bound fine. Since you have tried the other suggestions, it is starting to look like it is a bad receiver.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:31 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
since the 6100 came up first time using same method, I'm thinking the AR600 itself. I bought it at a local spektrum distributor and will take it by there tomorrow at lunch. might just go with a 6200 and pay the extra $20 if they will take this one back.

i guess it's conceivable that there was residual charge in the BEC after unplugging the battery that made it think it was a brown out and not a full power up. I tried it in two different sessions though with multiple times each session.
I think you've eliminated most possibilities other than a faulty AR600. Don't let this experience affect your decision on whether to stay with the AR600. Similar things happen occasionally with any of the receivers (as cptsnoopy says) -- it's a sample defect, not a design issue. And don't look for complex explanations like residual charge -- these things work simply and reliably (except when they don't ) and they all work the same way.

Take your transmitter with you and get a new AR600. Get them to demonstrate that it binds correctly.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
I went back to my local hobby shop to get some help or a new receiver.

Initially they had the same trouble using their DX7se. then took another one off the shelf which acted similarly. Perry figured that two bad ones in a row is very strange so he started to get the horizon hobby guys on the phone and while he was waiting continued to fiddle with the new rx. eventually the nature of the failure changed to an immediate solid led. continued fiddling, then it bound ok and he hung up the call to tech support. I tried it on my tx and same good binding occurred. So he gave me that one.

he continued to fiddle with my old rx and then it started working as well. so he put it back on the shelf.

tim
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:01 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Glad to hear you got a working receiver. But curious to know what sort of "fiddling" brought about the success. Spektrum systems are generally highly predictable in their behavior and don't need special treatment, just the correct procedure.

Do a standard ground range test and if all goes well, get flying!