HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Question
double horse 9053 or 9101

hello there, very new to this type of thing, used to do nitro rc trucks for the longest time....

anyway, stumbled onto the double horse 9053 and have been researching it alot....read just about everything there is on it....seems to be okay for what i am looking for and the beginner i am on it....my question is, i am just about ready to purchase the 9053 when i find the 9101.....but i dont see many differences? any opinions on the two, differences, one better than the other or just the newest cosmetic thing from that company?

thanks in advance
m2g4b is offline Find More Posts by m2g4b
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:17 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
same thing, slightly different cosmetics.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
thank you very much......thought so just wanted someone with more expertise to chime in on it!!!!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:37 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
It seems to me that the 9101 is an upgrade from the 9053 Volitation. The most noticeable difference besides the cosmetics is the significantly larger horizontal tail rotor. This should provide more fore, and aft movement compared to the Volitation.

The Volitation also seems to suffer from a tendency to have blade strikes when making maneuvers a little too vigorously. Don't know how the 9101 behaves in that respect.

There is really not enough feed back yet on this new model, but I believe you can find videos showing it in flight on YouTube.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2g4b View Post
hello there, very new to this type of thing, used to do nitro rc trucks for the longest time....

anyway, stumbled onto the double horse 9053 and have been researching it alot....read just about everything there is on it....seems to be okay for what i am looking for and the beginner i am on it....my question is, i am just about ready to purchase the 9053 when i find the 9101.....but i dont see many differences? any opinions on the two, differences, one better than the other or just the newest cosmetic thing from that company?

thanks in advance
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
yeah did a quick search on you tube and found nothing....there are some vids on ebay of some indoor flying from what looks like hobby shops. there is even some pics of the 9053 and 9101 somewhat side by side.....i cant tell a difference, not in size, the rotor blades look the same just different colors....and the rear rotors look the same to me as well? what did you look at to say that the blade looks bigger? thanks again
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hauptmann
TX
Joined Jan 2011
89 Posts
9101 video

Like this one ?

9101 Helicopter (1 min 28 sec)

Holy smokes Batman, checkout the flying 'skull' on their website (listed in video above):
http://www.amax-toys.com/e/products/...elicopter.html
Green Dragon is offline Find More Posts by Green Dragon
Old May 23, 2011, 06:25 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
For Pete's sake, which one did you decide to buy?

And now that the 9101 has been out for quite a few months now, can anyone say that it is better than the older 9053?

If so, how?

Regards,
Crash
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
22 Posts
Sorry for the bump but Im in the same situation.

Money is no problem so no need for opinions on that. I would like to fly indoors and outdoors. I want the 9101 specifically because its a bit bigger, but the 9053 has a bit longer flight time, and in my opinion has a cooler paint job. 9053s flight height is higher as well. Im pretty sure those are the main differences.

I made an account specifically for some opinions so please help
Helico211 is offline Find More Posts by Helico211
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:21 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
3 channel co-ax helios going the way of the dinosaur

If money is no problem I would highly recommend to sell the 3 channel chopper.

Because they will NOT fly well outdoors at all.

Continue on with your research, then buy a popular four channel bird that is highly-regarded by fellow pilots.

That's what my research has indicated by all those that went with the 3 channel route.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
Unsubscribed
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
71 Posts

I have 9101 and I like for what it is. It is larger bird very easy to control, indoors only or on very quiet day.
I'd say that build quality is good for the price. Flight time is ok. It is not to fast even on 'fast' switch position.
I use it when I am frustrated with other helis that breaks all the time and when they are difficult to handle since I am beginner to.
It is also nice looking if that matters.
Only damage I had so far was top bearing holder which is plastic. It was my fault. I was flying it inside ug garage with low ceiling and at one moment I've pushed it up to fast, hit the sprinkler pipes and holder broke, but nothing else. I have small mill so I've made replacement out of aluminum. There are other helis that this can be used as a replacement.
GM2011 is offline Find More Posts by GM2011
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
71 Posts

I have 9101 and I like for what it is. It is larger bird very easy to control, indoors only or on very quiet day.
I'd say that build quality is good for the price. Flight time is ok. It is not to fast even on 'fast' switch position.
I use it when I am frustrated with other helis that breaks all the time and when they are difficult to handle since I am beginner to.
It is also nice looking if that matters.
Only damage I had so far was top bearing holder which is plastic. It was my fault. I was flying it inside ug garage with low ceiling and at one moment I've pushed it up to fast and holder broke. I have small mill so I've made replacement out of aluminum. There are other helis that this can be used as a replacement.
GM2011 is offline Find More Posts by GM2011
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
22 Posts
Well then whats a decent outdoor copter for under $100?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
I can fly a S107
Joined Jul 2011
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helico211 View Post
Well then whats a decent outdoor copter for under $100?
Double Horse 9100.

But it can be very fast and difficult to control, but a load of fun too!

Purchase extra head buckle links, and a spare canopy, I will be shortening my flybar to prevent flybar striking tail boom and canopy.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358325
See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358424 EDIT: Jump to page 50 as prior to that is talking without ownership...

Alex.
Reitau is offline Find More Posts by Reitau
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitau View Post
Double Horse 9100.

But it can be very fast and difficult to control, but a load of fun too!

Purchase extra head buckle links, and a spare canopy, I will be shortening my flybar to prevent flybar striking tail boom and canopy.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358325
See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358424 EDIT: Jump to page 50 as prior to that is talking without ownership...

Alex.
Funny you say that, I just got one a few days ago, I broke one of the main blades so Im waiting for that to come in. I didnt have the space to try it out that much but it seems to be pretty good, although I definitely need to use killbuckets paperclip mod http://killbuckets.blogspot.com/2011...-9104-fix.html Im having a problem with that though