HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:53 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
701 Posts
Discussion
Will a Spektrum (air) receiver work on (surface) radios?

For instance, I have a few AR6100 park flyer receivers. Will they bind up with say a Spektrum DX3S car radio?

Thanks!
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
No. Surface receivers (SRxxxx) only work with Surface transmitters.

Marine receivers (MRxxxx) work with Marine-compatible surface transmitters (they'll have a boat logo on them), plus they'll work with aircraft transmitters.

Aircraft receivers (ARxxxx) work only with air transmitters.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:12 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
No. Surface receivers (SRxxxx) only work with Surface transmitters.

Marine receivers (MRxxxx) work with Marine-compatible surface transmitters (they'll have a boat logo on them), plus they'll work with aircraft transmitters.

Aircraft receivers (ARxxxx) work only with air transmitters.

Andy
Why?
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Because HH wants you to buy more stuff and it works. Its not just them but other and not just in the hobby.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:50 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
Why?
At the lowest level, the communication is done differently for each.

Surface radios need to be able to have a super-low response time - we have surface radios with a 5.5ms refresh rate. The communication was optimized to be able to do that.

The aircraft radios need to be able to support up to 12 channels (JR 12X). You can't have high-channel-count and low-refresh-rate both, so they are optimized appropriately.

Marine is different still. It needs the diversity of the aircraft radios but not a high channel count.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:30 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
At the lowest level, the communication is done differently for each.

Surface radios need to be able to have a super-low response time - we have surface radios with a 5.5ms refresh rate. The communication was optimized to be able to do that.

The aircraft radios need to be able to support up to 12 channels (JR 12X). You can't have high-channel-count and low-refresh-rate both, so they are optimized appropriately.

Marine is different still. It needs the diversity of the aircraft radios but not a high channel count.

Andy
Makes sense, Thanks.

But there is no real or legal issue with using a Dx6i on a boat, correct?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
Correct, that was only with 72/75MHz.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
I know that this is off topic, but another Spektrum question:

I have an old Ace radio. I would like to convert it to 2.4mHz. Can I use any Spektrum module and plug it into the Ace encoder board? Is the difference between modules mostly just the plug and case or are there other differences? Probably need a Hitec/Futaba for the correct shift, I am guessing.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:13 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28 View Post
I know that this is off topic, but another Spektrum question:

I have an old Ace radio. I would like to convert it to 2.4mHz. Can I use any Spektrum module and plug it into the Ace encoder board? Is the difference between modules mostly just the plug and case or are there other differences? Probably need a Hitec/Futaba for the correct shift, I am guessing.
You probably can adapt a module to the Ace encoder, but it's not as simple as plugging it in. First, it depends what Ace radio. Second, you have to find the PPM signal and make sure it has suitable level. You may also need to determine the polarity (shift has nothing to do with this, as it's an FM concept). You also need to determine whether you should use a JR-type of Futaba-type Spektrum module. And, of course, you'll have to do some soldering and adapting. So you need to know what you are doing.

You need to get exact information about your transmitter and ask a specific question. You should start a new thread when you have an unrelated topic like this and give it a clear title that will attract people who might know. Something like "How to adapt an Ace XXXX to Spektrum 2.4?"
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
The DIY Electronics forum is definitely a better place to ask. There are several who have done similar conversions there.

Andy
Site Sponsor