Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 18, 2011, 07:19 PM
joey1117
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
Rendy
I just bought a "back up" 9z to try this back light on can wait for it to get here just did not want to risk my " flying" radio until i see if i can get the backing off the screen , thanks for the work you are doing on this . do you happen to have anymore of the el panel before i order it ? also where do you mount the inverter inside the radio
thanks
joe
joey1117 is offline Find More Posts by joey1117
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 10:40 PM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
Joe,

I do have the EL panel, but it is not big enough for 9z. I bought an EL panel on *Bay with 4 connection points. It is big enough to make one 9z and two MPX Evo.

I place the inverter at lower left corner when viewing from the rear. No special reason why I did that. I guess you could also place it on the lower right corner. Just remember, the EL panel's wires come out from the left side.

When I modified my Multiplex Evo, I don't have to add the capacitor at all. I don't know why 9z is so sensitive.

rendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1117 View Post
Rendy
I just bought a "back up" 9z to try this back light on can wait for it to get here just did not want to risk my " flying" radio until i see if i can get the backing off the screen , thanks for the work you are doing on this . do you happen to have anymore of the el panel before i order it ? also where do you mount the inverter inside the radio
thanks
joe
Rendy is offline Find More Posts by Rendy
Old May 22, 2011, 01:08 PM
joey1117
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
ok i started this project , getting this apart is no 5 minute job but not that bad , the screen film comes off pretty easy DO NOT use a razor blade to remove the glue you will scratch the polarized film i started to use one but seen what was going to happen and stopped . just waiting on the el sheet to show up here are some pics
Old May 22, 2011, 02:38 PM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
Hi Joey1117

Once you installed the EL panel and re-installed the LCD metal frame, be sure to test the LCD before you close up TX. Make sure you don't have any missing vertical/horizontal line. If you found one, just add more pressure on the connection. This takes more of my time.

rendy
Rendy is offline Find More Posts by Rendy
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
joey1117
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
WOW this was a project

ok so after countless drivers and MANY MANY times trying to get this to work here it is please note this is not for those that don't have alot of time to work on this radio you have to take alot of it apart , so I ended up using this driver from Smartieparts.com http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=333
(thanks Steven worked great) the prblem with the driver is it works at a max voltage of 5 volts so how to get 5 volts from the tx pack? easy I took an olfd esc and used the rx side to supply the 5 volts and the part you would plug into you flight battery i hooked up to a switch and went right to my tx 9.6 volt battery this way i can turn the backlight on and off when i want to . it was not a bad job but use this driver I have over 100.00 dollars in drivers trying to find one that will fit in the space and work with the size of panel the 9z takes plaes see the pics for how this all went I have many many hours in this and I hope this will make the next guy's job go smooth , I believe the 9z is now an "up to date " radio it is 2.4 ghz's and with a backlight these were the only things missing from the radio if you have any questions let me know I will try to help
joe
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:26 AM
joey1117
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
more pics
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:59 AM
Germany
Joined May 2005
5 Posts
Hi,

this thread calls my attention because Backlight is all I am missing on my 9z. I wonder if I can use this parts from Hobby King:
China Backlight There is a driver attached to the panel......... but I'm afraid that the panel is to small.

Thomas
cobuser is offline Find More Posts by cobuser
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:03 PM
Oceanside, CA
Joined Jul 2005
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobuser View Post
Hi,

this thread calls my attention because Backlight is all I am missing on my 9z. I wonder if I can use this parts from Hobby King:
China Backlight There is a driver attached to the panel......... but I'm afraid that the panel is to small.

Thomas
Did you find out if the panel fits the 9z ? I have one also and I'm itching to install some kind of backlight.

How thick is the LCD display in the 9z, would it be possible to mount small SMD LEDs around the edge of the display ?
Nazdreg is online now Find More Posts by Nazdreg
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
joey1117
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
i did try leds and they did not work very well kind of put a shine on the lcd and made it hard to read , the el panel you need is an a-4 and you cut it to fit let me know if you need any more help not a hard job just takes time
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:32 PM
Oceanside, CA
Joined Jul 2005
51 Posts
OK I'll scrap the LED thought and go with a panel instead.

I have never seen such a panel, but it sounds like it's thin and can be cut to size, which is great since a large panel could yield enough material to do the 3 radios I have.

Does one panel only have one connector ?

If I cut one panel into three pieces, how do I connect the two other pieces to the 120V drivers ?
Nazdreg is online now Find More Posts by Nazdreg
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:11 PM
joey1117
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
the panel has i think 6 places you can tap power to here is were i got mine but only one radio per sheet when you cut it but you have extra for small projects...DONT get there driver they will not fit inside the case and dont work well
joe
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
259 Posts
Hi guys,
Are there no news for a safer LED solution ?
rosnik is online now Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,414 Posts
Why not use 9x radio panel ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:51 AM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Why not use 9x radio panel ?
I'm not sure it got some measueres to fit 9Z.
rosnik is online now Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:54 AM
United States, KY, Hardin
Joined Jun 2011
696 Posts
the 9x panel is to small
I just ordered a panel for my 9z last night
looks like this year old thread is getting brought back to life for a short time

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330699646929...84.m1439.l2649

almost a perfect fit to the 9z, Very little trimming needed at all
satgod is offline Find More Posts by satgod