HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:53 PM
joey1117
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
Help!
futaba 9z backlight

ok so I would like to backlight the 9z display and I seen this el backlight but need a driver so my question is can some one help me come up with the right parts to build one . there is a guy on here that sells one but it needs to run off of 5 volts I would like it to run off the stock 9.6 battery pack can you guys help? here is the el panel im looking at
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...T-3-X-5/1.html

thanks joe
joey1117 is offline Find More Posts by joey1117
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:21 PM
St Louis, MO USA
Joined Apr 2006
151 Posts
How do you install this in the 9Z?
rc404 is offline Find More Posts by rc404
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:30 PM
joey1117
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
it goes under the lcd screen the guy I have been talking to will make these and sell them for around 35.00 I just want to try and have it run off the 9.6 battery not 5 volts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:21 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,372 Posts
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10201
ziomatrixacs is online now Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:15 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Those are electroluminescent (EL) devices (AKA: Glow or cold lights) and is meant to be fed AC current. You can probably drive it off a cold light string driver (Inverter) like the one from Align that will accept your 9.6V

I would not recommend placing an AC inverter inside your TX. I have had funny stuff happen when a glow driver was placed too close to RX. They are pretty noisy! I have completely stopped using cold lights on any of my RC equipment for that exact same reason!

Instead I would look for a LED solution or make my own with 12V white LED strip from HobbyKing!
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:07 AM
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
backlight futaba 9z how its done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
Those are electroluminescent (EL) devices (AKA: Glow or cold lights) and is meant to be fed AC current. You can probably drive it off a cold light string driver (Inverter) like the one from Align that will accept your 9.6V

I would not recommend placing an AC inverter inside your TX. I have had funny stuff happen when a glow driver was placed too close to RX. They are pretty noisy! I have completely stopped using cold lights on any of my RC equipment for that exact same reason!

Instead I would look for a LED solution or make my own with 12V white LED strip from HobbyKing!
backlight futaba 9z (2 min 37 sec)
cartoon master is offline Find More Posts by cartoon master
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:13 AM
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
its in portuguese but i can make it also in english
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:15 AM
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
backlight futaba 9z how its done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc404 View Post
How do you install this in the 9Z?
backlight futaba 9z (2 min 37 sec)
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:23 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
it will not work off that voltage, 1.8>5.5v only.
Just need voltage reg to give you 3>5v.
Or just ask the guy making el driver what size panel has he set it for and supply voltage needed.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:45 PM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
Just finish installing a blue EL panel on my 9z. It is much easier to read now. The installation is actually quite easy. The hard part is to take apart 9z and removing the adhesive between the polarizer and the silver backing. The EL panel inverter is rated for 12v input DC. It can be driven with 9.6v. I added a switch on the backside of the TX to turn EL panel off.

I also installed one on my Multiplex EVO. This one is a bit harder due to small available space within. I have not finish installing the inverter on this one yet due to limited space within TX.
Rendy is offline Find More Posts by Rendy
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:26 PM
joey1117
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
wow can you do a write up on the 9z mod? or tell me where you got the el kit from
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:35 PM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
The video above is a very good guide.

I bought a generic EL panel from eBay (search eBay on "5"x6" EL Panel Sheet Pad Back Light Display Backlight B"). This EL panel is large enough to do 2 9z screen. Don't power up the inverter unless there is a load (EL panel) on other end. I lost 1 inverter that way.

After you remove the silver backing of the LCD panel, there will be a thin layer of adhesive. If you don't remove it, the LCD tends to have a dirty look. It is not that hard to remove it. Just use your finger slowly to rub it off. I did a final clean up with alcohol.

One thing you must be very careful when separating LCD panel away from the circuit board (or rubbing off the adhesive of LCD): The wiring from circuit board to the LCD panel (along the short edge) is very weak. One bad connection will cause 1 horizontal line on LCD to disappear.

The EL panel I got has a clear lamination on top and a blue one on the back. Do not remove the back lamination. I remove the top one to make it thiner, but I don't think it is necessary.

I placed a switch between power source and inverter. The switch is located on the back. I placed the inverter on the lower left corner (view from rear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1117 View Post
wow can you do a write up on the 9z mod? or tell me where you got the el kit from
Last edited by Rendy; May 09, 2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: correction
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
EL switch on back of 9z

see photo
Last edited by Rendy; Apr 20, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old May 15, 2011, 04:53 PM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
In Post #13, I have powered the EL panel by connecting the positive to the orange wire and the negative to the black wire on the second white connector at lower right corner. Although this does power up the EL panel, this has a strong interference effect on radio transmission. I don't know why but I am sure it is not cause by the EL inverter. After some experiments, I have determined the cause is the ground wire. By re-connecting the EL inverter's ground wire to the ground on the trainer port, all works fine now. I also added a 220 uF electrolytic decoupling capacitor across the EL panel switch. I don't know how this connection affects the trainer port, but I really don't turn on backlight when I fly in daytime.

Update: I have relocated the positive lead to pin 1 of the trainer port. Check this link http://www.mftech.de/buchsen_en.htm for the pin number.
Last edited by Rendy; Jun 10, 2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: update
Old May 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
schematic & video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRFbbj78po