SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2003, 08:46 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
New Plane Pictures: The Weasel Pro

I've been on something of a building kick lately! Day before yesterday I picked up one of the new Weasel Pro kits from Michael Richter of Richter R/C, and got it ready to go for flying today at Ellwood. I'm pleased to report that it both built and flew AWESOME!!!

The Weasel Pro is basically the old Weasel kit that has been revised with a new airfoil, carbon fiber spars, new fin shape, and new pod shape. It looks, and more importantly, flies almost exactly like a miniWeasel, except its got a 36" wingspan instead of 24". Inverted performance is vastly improved over the old Weasel, and rolls are perfectly axial, just like the miniWeasel. It also can also be SAL'ed (side arm launched) similar to the miniWeasel due to its fiberglass reinforced fin (it's a Coroplast fin with a fiberglass rod reinforcing the bottom to make it torsionally stiffer).

We got really lucky today and had some pretty decent wind (by our standards anyways) at Ellwood. It was about 15-18mph and coming in a little off-center, but it was enough to really wring out the new plane. It flew totally awesome! AUW came to 11.7oz. balanced, and I managed to finally figure out how to use a tape covering effectively. The plane flies totally great, almost exactly like a miniWeasel except bigger and faster. It's a huge improvement to the "fun factor" of the regular sized Weasel.

Here's some more pictures. Think the shark's mouth is too over the top?

Anyways, I'm stoked! My old Weasel and miniWeasel had bitten the bullet, so I was relegated to flying my Lippisch and it wasn't really cutting the mustard. This plane is really sweet, and flies great. Nice!
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2003, 11:00 AM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
Man hat is a cool delta, you sure are in a building kick...now it is time to start flying all these new planes

Vince
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Old Jul 27, 2003, 11:22 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Oh, you should see my face. I've got the full-on "raccoon face" from all the sun I've been getting the past week flying all over Southern California

Going to Bluff Cove today with the Mustang and the Weasel Pro, should be awesome!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2003, 02:04 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Cool covering scheme, I'm looking at doing something similar with my Moth, only black on yellow. Quick question, how much wind does the weasel and mini weasel need to fly in?

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:31 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2003
109 Posts
YOU ARE SO BUSTED - there is no such thing as a "PRO" KIT!

So tell us more about your customizations; I have a VErY TirED Weasle sitting here that really deserves a refurb job.

thanks,
Yogi
Papineau is offline Find More Posts by Papineau
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:10 PM
anyone else on 27?
santa barbara, ca
Joined Mar 2003
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Charlot
Quick question, how much wind does the weasel and mini weasel need to fly in?
Both the fullsize and the mini Weasel were designed specifically for light lift, which is pretty much what we get year round here in Barbara. Today was a completely different story though, the wind was a steady 25 mph out at Ellwood for a while. There were several fullsize Weasels out there, and I was flying my mini Weasel without ballast and was having a great time.

I've also seen Steve (surfimp) fly his fullsize in about 5 mph, so they are pretty versatile. I believe the most commonly accepted ranges are 5-30 mph for a fullsize, and 8-25 for a mini. But again, I've seen both fly in conditions exceeding either end of those ranges without any real trouble.

Quote:
Originally posted by Papineau
Actually starting last week all full size Weasel kits ordered from flyweasel.com are the new pro kits, even though they aren't referred to as pro kits on the website. The improvements include new nose pod design, new spar system, new fin and fin attachment, new pushrod system, new airfoil and elevons for improved inverted performance, and improved aesthetics (the full size looks more like a scaled up version of the mini now).

I'm in the process of constructing a pro kit right now, and as Steve mentioned above each new item seems a significant improvement in terms of ease of build and performance.

I had a tired old Weasel too but decided all the improvements in the pro were with the additional cost of a new kit. I don't think I'll regret spending the extra money.
arena is offline Find More Posts by arena
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:04 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Papineau
Guess again

Updated kits should be available for sale on Michael's website any day now. He's so busy cutting foam that he hasn't had time to update the site
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:09 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Thanks Arena, 5 mph is pretty light lift. Hmmm......
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:18 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Charlot
Quick question, how much wind does the weasel and mini weasel need to fly in?
Really depends upon the slope and how well the wind is hitting it, but assuming a decent hill you can easily fly either one in about 4-5 mph minimum. This of course also assumes that you built them to their recommended weights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:22 PM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
Thread Drift...

Very nice bird. Are you going to make a video clip?

So...If the opposite of PRO is CON...
Then is the opposite of PROGRESS...CONGRESS...

But I digress
LWThompson is offline Find More Posts by LWThompson
Last edited by LWThompson; Jul 27, 2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:31 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I think David (kingdavey) took some video of it today at Bluff Cove, but I'm not sure if he plans to release it himself or send it to me on a disk. Either way we'll have some video soon. Jason (cobalt) flew it as well and noticed the difference in the performance right away. The Pro really is a nice incremental step up from the old Weasel, it's cool. More aerobatic, snappier feeling, and smoother overall. Seems to fly "lighter" too, it will be interesting to see how it does in really light lift vs. the older design.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:31 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,039 Posts
Which one performs better in light lift....the Pro or Mini?

-Victor
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:56 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Pretty much the same, although the upside of the miniWeasel is that you can SAL (side arm launch) it higher and smoother than the Pro. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but at this point they fly pretty much the same. The miniWeasel does have the cute factor pretty sussed, though
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2003, 02:27 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Oh, I see how it is. Since you're all buddy buddy with Michael you get one. While the rest of us have to wait until he gets some kits made.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
Old Jul 29, 2003, 03:29 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Actually you can just call or email him and I'm sure he'll be glad to send you one. I think I lucked out because he had a couple extra kits on hand after the big order he sent to Germany.

Probably helps that I live in the same town, too

David (kingdavey) was kind enough to videotape me flying the Pro at Bluff Cove on Sunday, and has put the video online. You can view it here:

http://www.flyingmonkeys.info

(The first thing I do after launching is an inverted outside loop. I think that pretty much says it all as for the Weasel Pro's improved inverted performance )

I love the soundtrack...it really shizzles my Wizzle, or something like that.
RCG Plus Member