SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Binnie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:19 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Will the water kill the flies?!!!! I don't know how you put up with them!!

Same battery as mine at the moment then. I read about flaps on this ASW 22 and the 'sages' said that there was not much point because of the fat airfoil, something else to play with though and makes it look more scale I suppose.

I found some photos of an original NIB kit and managed to jot down the numbers that Multiplex had put on the box.

Span: 4.000 metres

Length: 1.640 metres

Wing area: 71 dm2

Aspect ratio: 22.5

Empty weight: 2.700 kg

Flight weight: Ca: 3.500 kg

Wing loading: 49 g/dm2

Wing airfoil: Ritz 2 combination

Tailpane airfoil: NACA 0009

My 22 was 3.8 kilos before I started working on it, the new brakes are heavier than the old ones and one more battery cell will bump it up a bit as well. The wing loading is coming out at 56.5 g/dm2 or 18.5 oz/sq/ft, seems about right. Lighter than my Vega anyway!!

The SailplaneCalc numbers say that the balance point could be moved back to 91 mm from the root leading edge so MPX's 85 mm position is nice and safe.

All I have to do now is fit a receiver and a new battery, wait for some decent weather then give it a chuck!!
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:44 PM
Where's all the wind gone
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
Mozzis are the problem now!

Mine is heavy too - can't remember the number. It still flies fine - fast, heavy landings though.

Good luck for the flight (and the weather)!

Shane.
ShaneW is offline Find More Posts by ShaneW
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:21 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Deja vu

Ah, Mozzies, bless them!!

I put 355g of lead in a bag to simulate the battery that I want to use and placed it in the radio bay, but not right forward in the nose. Rigged the beast and the balance point seems about right. Putting it on the scales though showed that it is virtually 4 kg all up, 500g heavier than MPX suggest.

There was furniture foam in the nose and when I took it out I found about 500g of lead fixed into the nose (about the same as was in my Centi Phase fuselage!).

If I can get all this out and get the battery as far forward as possible I should be able to fine tune the balance point and reduce the flying weight at the same time.

All good fun.

GB
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:35 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Ready to go

The 22 is virtually ready to go now, splashed out on an AR6200 receiver and a new battery. I weighed it and found that the lead had to go back in, doh!

At exactly 4 kg it is half a kilo over what MPX claimed, I can't see any reason why it should be this much heavier, no repairs anywhere and the wings are not glassed.

I wasn't quite happy with the radio installation, the wire ends of the pushrods were quite long and flexible so I added a fairlead to remove the slop. Made a couple of new liteply boards for the servos and receiver to sit on just to tidy it up while I was at it.

One tiny job to do, if I remember, is to fix the crush damage on one of the root ribs, will probably just fill it with epoxy.

Just need the wind to blow the right way now, been easterly for the last two weeks, most of the slopes near me need westerlies.

GB
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:35 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
No stickers!

I forgot something! I e-mailed Multiplex with a very long shot question to see if they had any original graphic sets for this and the DG600. Unsurprisingly the very polite reply was 'no'!!

Just in case anyone had the same thought, don't bother! I bet there's some, somewhere though!!
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:02 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Came across this Multiplex LS3 rebuild by accident, it's in Dutch but there are plenty of photos.

Not much wing left after he had removed the airbrakes! I think he's done a great job.

GB
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Mar 04, 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
Hey Gary, been able to get out for a maiden yet?

Shane.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:13 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Hi Shane, nah, the wind has been blowing in the wrong direction for weeks.

It's looking good for this Wednesday though, got the DG600 to fly as well.

Had a go at aerotowing last week, I think it's the way forward!!
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:45 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
The (re)maiden flight test.

Weather was almost perfect for sloping today, the wind was a bit fresh (20 mph gusting to 30) which made launching a handful but we got the ASW22 away cleanly twice.

Needed a fair few clicks of down trim to penetrate and hold a nose down attitude, I also flew the DG600 and this needed no pitch trim, I wonder if the tailplane incidence is slightly off? It was mighty windy though!!

The roll rate is surprisingly good on the single servo, better than my Teakle Vega (but that is an extended span version) and fellow flyers noted how graceful it was in flight (I noticed that as well!!).

Tried a couple of stalls, just a gentle nose drop usually with one dropping a wing, I think it would spin if provoked.

Airbrakes were very effective with a small nose down pitch change that I'm not going to bother to mix out, didn't really need the brakes today as I undershot the landing area slightly both times (first time on the slope since last September!).

Connecting all the wing control linkages is a bit of a pain on the hill, especially with the anti-crush dowel in the way, just needs some patience and long-nose pliers.

Now it is trimmed out and I know it flies straight I keep looking at the bungee hook and wondering!! Probably not worth the risk.

It's a great design and I like it a lot, just need to look after it now.

Gary
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:44 AM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
Well done mate!

On the slope my 22 also needs some down trim, so no biggie there. It'll be slightly different off the aerotow also, but easy to trim in flight.

Stay away from that bungee cord...it will only end in disaster.

Shane.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:40 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Funny you should say that, I unscrewed the bungee hook last week and threw it away! I've started aerotowing now and if we can find a tug big enough I might risk it.

It was weird that the 22 needed trim and the DG600 didn't, it was mighty windy though, probably on the limit.

Would like to refinish the wings but it's not a job I can launch into at the moment.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:53 PM
JP
Tennessee
Joined Oct 2003
466 Posts
What...no vids????;-)
veritus is offline Find More Posts by veritus
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Nah, sorry!

There's a photo of it being launched here though.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:10 PM
JP
Tennessee
Joined Oct 2003
466 Posts
Very nice!
veritus is offline Find More Posts by veritus