HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Binnie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex ASW 22 birthday

A friend mentioned that he had an old Multiplex ASW 22 sitting at his parents' house and I said that I would like to have a look at it, somehow it has ended up in my shed!!

It was in reasonable condition but has some problems that need fixing:
  • Wrinkly wing covering
  • Broken airbrake link pin
  • Hole in rudder
  • Elevator drive horn broken

The damage is mostly from house moving and storage and a little bit from flying. I've fixed the hole in the rudder and the broken elevator horn but the covering is defying all attempts to tighten back up (though it is looking better than it was).

I struggled for hours trying to fix the airbrake but in the end I pulled it out of the wing fairly neatly and will be installing new Graupner double paddle units. Update:These brakes were eventually fixed and used in another glider, see here for how I did it!

It has a central aileron servo in the fuselage and I wondered about fitting wing servos but I'm not confident that I could thread any wires through. The linkages are fairly slop free so I'm going to use a servo for each aileron as shown in the instructions for the Multiplex Alpina Magic (ASW 22 and Alpina Magic instructions are downloadable from MPX).

I think this will go nicely on the slope but it does have a belly hook, just wondering whether you can bungee launch a 4 kg, 4 metre span glider safely? Maybe with a headwind!! I don't do aerotowing yet but must have a go this year.

Cheers

GB
Gary Binnie is online now Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Aug 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Add link to brake repair
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:14 PM
JP
Tennessee
Joined Oct 2003
466 Posts
Asw

You might want to check out this restoration project of another ASW, it's not a 22 but close and may be the same scale as yours. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271018
veritus is offline Find More Posts by veritus
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:43 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
Cheers, that's a Pat Teakle ASW 17, I have one of his Vegas, he produced a 6 metre ASW 22, would like to get hold of one of those!!!

There is a rebuild thread on the MPX ASW22 here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894341

He had to make new wings. Have ordered new airbrakes, they should be here tomorrow with any luck.

Gary
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:52 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
Airbrakes have arrived!

The postie delivered the new airbrakes today, Graupner 1000.370, just slightly longer than the original brakes. The 370 is for 370 mm, simples!

A little bit of Dremelling opened out the slots enough to drop them in, I happened to measure their position from the wing root and discovered that the original slots were not quite the same either side, strange as Multiplex would have cut them.

The brakes hooked on to the existing control wires but they will need shortening quite a lot, I need to do this on a nicer day in the garden as the shed is too packed with other stuff now to rig this and still have room to move!!

I won't glue them in until I've got the linkages the right length and then I will try to replace the surrounding wood as invisibly as I can. I thought about recovering the wings but after experimenting I think that would be a job I wished I never started!!

As it had stopped raining for 10 minutes I rigged it in the garden, it weighs a ton even without radio gear, maybe I won't be bungee launching it!!

Nice looking machine though.

GB
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:38 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
I've now fixed the brakes in after some time spent adjusting the links to get them working together.

Last job on the brakes is to replace the capping strips and try to hide the repair, got one side done and halfway through the other.

Have taken a sequence of photos in case anyone else needs to do this job. It's not invisible but I've got two working airbrakes now, possibly down the line I will strip and recover the wings but I want to fly it first!!

GB
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:10 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
A missing bit

I wondered what the extra holes in the wing root were for and had a look through the instructions, found no mention of it. In the Alpina Magic instructions though a hardwood dowel is shown, this is to stop the wings swinging forward on landing (sudden stops!) and crushing the fuselage, good idea. Perhaps this was a retrofit or a later version of the ASW 22 kit but I think the Alpina Magic was an earlier design?

This 22 has obviously had one fitted in the past as there is crush damage to one root rib where it has done its job, new one was made from 8 mm hardwood dowel in a couple of minutes, just need to fix the crushed rib (will probably just fill it with epoxy).

Using it is going to make connecting the controls a bit more awkward but better that than a cracked fuselage (it has a small crack in the gel coat already).

Getting there.

GB
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:44 PM
JP
Tennessee
Joined Oct 2003
466 Posts
It's a great idea to have a rod of some sort in the fuse in case the landing is abrupt! I have an old cut down carbon rod in my ASW-28 forward of the wing rod.
veritus is offline Find More Posts by veritus
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:36 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
Yes, it is a good idea and follows the design of some full-size glider types. The same stresses apply, out landings in soft ploughed fields can result in fairly quick stops when the wheel sinks in!! I did it once, good job that my straps were tight!! The part that took this load in my old glider was found cracked during one inspection but it was designed to be replaced easily.

The Hi-Phase that I built last year has a tube there mounted on ply plates, it doubles as one of three wing joiner tubes.

Not far off with getting the ASW 22 airworthy, needs a new battery and I want to fit a Spektrum 2.4 receiver with a satellite aerial. I've set it up using an AR500 Rx and it would probably be perfectly fine to use this but something is telling me to use a higher spec receiver.

Cheers

Gary
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:06 PM
Where's all the wind gone
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
126 Posts
Hi Gary,

It's a funny world!
I was just searching for some posts on "Graupner Airbrake Installation" because my ASW22 4m needs to have it's ones replaced and here I find you doing exactly the same thing with the same model!!

Great to see what you've done - it will certainly help me.

As for the launch method - I have sloped and aerotowed mine. Whilst it will fly fine on the slope (if a little slow), it is really built for aerotow.

I did my first tow over Christmas and enjoyed a couple of 10-15min flights. The model, thermals REALLY well - pilot inexperience being the only thing that kept bringing it down.

One question - looks like you removed the existing airbrakes from the top - can you describe the process a little for me? Thanks.

Shane.
ShaneW is offline Find More Posts by ShaneW
Last edited by ShaneW; Jan 23, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
Hi Shane, it's a common problem apparently with the plastic pin MPX airbrakes. If the brake is fully open and the wing moves forward on landing it will break the pin, a more likely cause though is catching the control clevis on the fuselage when taking the wings off. I tried for hours to fix it, just too fiddly in the end. I searched for 'Graupner airbrake repair' as well!

I knew that there was a balsa cap surrounding each airbrake from the instructions so I cut parallel straight lines (using a steel ruler) in front and behind the brakes, about 6 mm/1/4" from the brake blade (just deep enough to go through the balsa). I then picked this balsa out carefully until the top of the aluminium frame was clear.

With the brake open I pulled and wiggled on the assembly gently until it started to break free, some foam beads came out with them but not much. The brakes are unhooked from 'Z' bends in the control wires.

As long as not too much epoxy has been used they should come out fairly easily. The slots had to be opened (spanwise) a little bit but the width chordwise was perfect for the new Graupner brakes. I did reproduce the rounded ends of the slots as MPX would have designed it this way to avoid stress raising points.

I will trim it out off the slope and the plan is to learn to aerotow this year (I can teach it for big gliders so this should be interesting!!). Will need a fair size tug to pull this machine.

Any questions just shout.

Cheers

Gary
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:16 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
126 Posts
Thanks for the details Gary.

Having some spare time last night I decided to have a go at it.
Unfortunately I used some advice from a few builders down this way who suggested that I simply needed to remove the brake from the bottom of the wing.

After making a real mess of the foam on the right wing, I then easily removed the left wing's brake from the top as you described.
It's all repairable, but annoying!

Oh well, I'll put it down as a learning experience.

It'll be fine off the slope, but don't expect it to retain much speed in the corners. Mine is pretty heavy too, but tows easily.

Enjoy.

Shane.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:37 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
Ouch!! It wouldn't have occurred to me to take them out through the lower skin. I did wonder when you asked if I removed them from the top.

I'm not entirely happy with how I 'hid' the repair and really want to completely recover both wings. The fuselage has some cosmetic damage and it would be nice to do something about that as well in time but I don't want to lose the original kit graphics for some reason.

Feel free to post any photos of your ASW 22 in here BTW unless you have a thread somewhere.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:06 AM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
126 Posts
Ah well. I'm better for the experience.
Won't take long to fix.

What I am going to do is add servo's into the wing for each air brake. I can't face the fiddly task of connectup the wires to a central servo housed in thefuz each time I get to the field. Only problem is I'm running out of channels on my 2720!!

I've attached a few photos for you including a shot of one of the tugs that pulled up my 22 over the X-mas break.

Regards,

Shane.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:27 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,789 Posts
Nice piccies Shane, looks hot and 'blue' out there! I flew at Benalla for a month in '91 and it was hot and blue then. You're not so far away.

I read that the flooding is affecting the Murray area, must be bad.

Did you modify the wing for flaps? Are they any use? My big Vega has flaps but no airbrakes.

I'm with you on connecting the controls!! I think a haemostat (surgeons' pliers!) would work on mine. I was going to use two aileron servos but the existing one works surprisingly well and the way it is arranged provides differential.

What kind of battery are you using? The 22 came with a home made square four-pack of C cells (long dead) but I can't find anything like it in the shops. I cheekily weighed a five cell 'hump pack' in my local model shop on the owners' kitchen scales, I will put the same amount of ballast in the same place and if it balances ok I will buy the battery!!

Gary
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:47 PM
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
126 Posts
It was hot that day at Taggarty! But heaps of thermals around.

Luckily the flooding is not affecting our flying areas, but there is a heap of water around the Swan Hill area now. It'll be some time before the Murray river can take it all away.

The wings had flaps on them when I got the model (about 2-3 years ago).
I've not used flaps very much, most of my flying being on much smaller slope models, so I tend not to use them much. I'm not sure they are very effective and believe they were only added to act as brakes because the air brakes were broken. As I've since found, air brakes or good flaps are essential on this model as it just comes in too hot. That's the reason I've now decided to replace the non-functioning ones.
I think air brakes on their own would be fine without flaps.

The battery I run is a 4 (C) cell 4.8v 2400mh NiCad pack. If I go for the additional brake servos I'll probably have to bump it up a bit. It does tend to run down pretty quick!!

My 22 is heavy and has a heap of nose weight (not sure of the numbers), but that only means that it flys faster!

Shane.