HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:38 AM
Joined Jul 2010
19 Posts
Discussion
Counter Rotating Props for Quadcopter

Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance on this question, i've been googling for info but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I'm building my own quadcopter from scratch and have managed to make some good progress so far with acquiring all the right parts. What i'm struggling with now is finding a good supplier for propellers in the UK.

I know that I need to have counter rotating propellers for my quadcopter but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells both pusher and puller props, or at least nowhere with sufficient information about the props.

After a fair amount of googling, I saw mention that it could be possible to simply flip a pusher propeller and reverse the direction of the motor to provide backwards thrust. Is this correct? I was under the assumption that flipping a propeller wouldn't make any difference as it would essentially be the same, no matter which orientation it takes.

If this isn't the case, I would need 2 pusher and 2 puller propellers for my quadcopter but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells pusher props for the life of me. Either i'm missing some really basic information or i'm not looking in the right places. I tried my local hobby shop and the guy looked at me like i'd asked him to donate me his liver and wasn't very helpful in suggesting where I could find such things. Being able to simply buy 4 APC props and flip two of them over would make life much easier but i'm not convinced that this would solve the problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please? Either i'm looking in the wrong place, looking for the wrong thing or just being a tool in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm coming to a head with building my quad and all I have left to purchase are some decent props before I can take it out for a test run.

Thanks for reading!
CaptainRedmuff is offline Find More Posts by CaptainRedmuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:53 AM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
I've just ordered some CW and CCW props from here:

'Pusher'
http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...lp1147sfp.html

and

'Normal'
http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...lp11047sf.html

other various sizes available
http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...ric-props.html

HTH

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
Joined Jul 2010
19 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the links and the quick response
CaptainRedmuff is offline Find More Posts by CaptainRedmuff
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,273 Posts
Hi,
You can also use the common tractor or CCW/anti-clockwise props on all motors and cancel the yaw with motor tilt. See the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index under the Props section for info on that.
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,539 Posts
I don't know where you're based, so it's hard to tell you the best place to get them. Just one word of advice though;

Don't buy from cnc-modellsport.de

Loads of us have been ripped off by them and they never send the props.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove