HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Feb 2003
240 Posts
Horejsi Q-11

Happy to report that today we did receive our initial batch of Q-11's

Ivan, beautiful workmanship....as usual..!!

Can not wait to put one together and fly it..!!

Here is your challenge, Ed..!!

best regards,

Alberto
www.hobbyclub.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex VK2KR View Post
Hi

I finally had the opportunity to fly the Q11 in our 2nd F5J contest today.

Conditions overcast, 22C with drizzling rain on and off through the contest
consequently little lift. Rate of sink in the glide was 0.55m/s, with 200m
climb in the 30 seconds allowing 365 seconds of air time. With a little
very light thermal? activity I was able to in a couple of rounds to make the 10 minute mark.

Never exceeded more than 10 meters height gain due to this lift, more
of a neutral glide maintaining height.

Climb rate with the Turnigy KA20-20L (1050Kv) outrunner was 6.7m/s
with a current draw of 11 amps from the 3S 800mah lipo pack
on a 9.5x6 prop. It outclimbed a new 3.7m AVA with a Nue 1112 geared
inrunner and more than matched it in glide ratio.

Despite what appears to be a frail model,I am very pleased with this aircraft and its performance,
and its ability to be able to penetrate into the wind,
Radians were hovering, this was penetrating at will.

My first experience with flaps, I used the trim for 3mm camber for maximum
float after the climb, and did not have to use reflex at this time.
50% flap had it coming down at a steady rate, and full flap allowed me
to dive vertically and flare at the last second for close to spot landings.

IT IS A GREAT MODEL

regards

Alex
hobbyclub is offline Find More Posts by hobbyclub
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:16 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,456 Posts
Q12 - Still Available?

Resurrecting a dead thread; does anyone know if the follow up to the Q11, the Q12 is still in production? I have sent several emails to the manufacturer and an European vendor over a two week period and have not received a reply?

thanks
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2014, 04:44 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,065 Posts
My new Q12 is in the box in the car, just waiting for the house to get quiet so I can bring it inside and take a look.

They just very recently came back into stock here in Australia, although I see the Horejsi site shows them as currently unavailable. That might be related to a holiday period they show on their front page
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jul 29, 2014, 06:58 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,065 Posts
Surprise surprise, turns out it is a Q12 X with the tiny carbon pod.

The wing and tailfeathers construction is exquisite, but avoiding dings especially on the almost knife sharp trailing edges is going to take a lot of care.

They say a 28mm outrunner will fit - hmmm, it;s going to be tight
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:11 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,456 Posts
Scirocco ... thanks for the information about the Q12. I think they may have just added their holiday to the main page as I do not recall seeing it previously. I have had some problems with my ISP/email lately so that is probaly where the problem lies. I will wait till they are back from holiday and send another email.

Nice looking Q12x and I am curious about that 28mm motor also. When you make the motor cut, do you plan on making a straight cut or a angled cut? I am looking forward to any build thread you may do.

thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:47 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,065 Posts
The kit comes with a very close to full size profile of the pod, plus instructions on motor mount installation. It will be angled down a little, and a bit of right thrust is also recommended.
The recommended motor is a 28mm outrunner, 46g, Kv about 1600. Given the unexpected weight bonus of the lighter pod, I'm considering either a 67g Hyperion Gs 2213, or maybe a 28mm Mega inrunner also about 65g, but I want to assess weight distribution first.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 05:21 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,456 Posts
I am on a toss about getting the Q12 or Q12X. Am also wondering about the sanity of using an RDS for the wing servos. Gain a little bit of weight and loose a little bit of surface drag but is it really worth putting in an RDS? < shrug >

Leaning real hard at the moment about moving the firewall back and mounting a Hacker A20-20L to the front of the firewall. I have done that on a few of my gliders as I like not having to worry over the motor/ESC/battery leads getting rubbed by the spinning bell.

I generally run a bolt through the center fo the firewall, nut it down to the firewall and then tack CA the firewall in after I have adjusted the thrust pitch by moving the bolt around. I then epoxy the firewall in.

ETA: here is a link to a build thread that you may not have seen ... going to need to translate unless you read German.
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...ej%C5%A1%C3%AD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2014, 05:35 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,890 Posts
I would not do either of these mods. I especially don't see any point in reducing drag with RDS and then increasing it with an external un-streamlined motor setup.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Jul 30, 2014, 05:45 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,065 Posts
I'm leaning more towards using a Hyperion Gs2213, Kv either~1100 or ~ 1300. a bit lighter but less efficient than a B20 geared, a bit heavier than an A10 geared. With the extended tapered nose It will fit fine and the wires will be ok
Old Jul 30, 2014, 05:50 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton View Post
I would not do either of these mods. I especially don't see any point in reducing drag with RDS and then increasing it with an external un-streamlined motor setup.

Neil.
Maybe did not make it clear as I wrote the first post but the motor will be inside the fuse, mounted to the front of the firewall. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Any reason why you would not do the RDS?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2014, 05:52 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
I'm leaning more towards using a Hyperion Gs2213, Kv either~1100 or ~ 1300. a bit lighter but less efficient than a B20 geared, a bit heavier than an A10 geared. With the extended tapered nose It will fit fine and the wires will be ok
I have one of the Hyperion GS ( don't remember which one ) in an Omega and I like the taper to it. I could move that from the Omega and use it in the Q12.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:00 PM
altitude adjustment
USA, CA, Irvine
Joined Mar 2005
495 Posts
I think RDS would be pretty slick on this plane.

Mark
thumbhead is online now Find More Posts by thumbhead
Old Jul 30, 2014, 09:06 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Maybe did not make it clear as I wrote the first post but the motor will be inside the fuse, mounted to the front of the firewall. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Have you seen the Hacker glider nose shaft extension that allows mounting the motor further aft?. See the hacker shop.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 06:32 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,890 Posts
Okay, I understand about the motor installation now. Yes a recessed firewall works well on the Blaster 2e, though dirt ingress is more of a problem than for a fully enclosed installation.

I just don't think that the installation complexity and servicing difficulty of an RDS installation is worthwhile for a sports model. It may be for a competition airplane, when any performance benefit can make a difference to the result, but for a fly-for-fun glider easy maintenance and low build time are more important - for me anyway.

Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post

Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:57 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton View Post

I just don't think that the installation complexity and servicing difficulty of an RDS installation is worthwhile for a sports model. It may be for a competition airplane, when any performance benefit can make a difference to the result, but for a fly-for-fun glider easy maintenance and low build time are more important - for me anyway.

Neil.
Those are really good points, Neil. Having thought about it, it does seem a bit senseless to add the complexity to the wing.
RCG Plus Member