HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:24 AM
USA, WA, Yakima
Joined Jan 2005
31 Posts
zener diode

Which one? Akschu? I've been to the digikey site and there are many different mw and other specs on these. Which one would be a good choice? I like the idea of this safety, but I don't know enough about this stuff to know which one would work well. I wish someone would go into better detail on where to install the diode. And please, I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm not an idiot either. I'm putting two supplies together for a flying buddy and I want to make it as safe as possible. I've already converted 12 of these dps-600pb units for other guys in my flying club. All have been converted internally. This is my first attempt at using them in series. I appreciate all the information and have much respect for those of you that have contributed so far. Thanks - Tim
loudbikes is offline Find More Posts by loudbikes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudbikes View Post
Which one? Akschu? I've been to the digikey site and there are many different mw and other specs on these. Which one would be a good choice? I like the idea of this safety, but I don't know enough about this stuff to know which one would work well. I wish someone would go into better detail on where to install the diode. And please, I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm not an idiot either. I'm putting two supplies together for a flying buddy and I want to make it as safe as possible. I've already converted 12 of these dps-600pb units for other guys in my flying club. All have been converted internally. This is my first attempt at using them in series. I appreciate all the information and have much respect for those of you that have contributed so far. Thanks - Tim
Tim, I suggest you pop over to this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581061

Much more active now and dedicated to the DPS-600PB.
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:27 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
anyone know a way to slow the fan down so it's not so loud?
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:55 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,631 Posts
See here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=586

Varying the voltage on pin 4 from 5 to 12V changes the speed, but it also is load dependent and will speed up automatically if necessary I believe. (haven't yet tried it).

Also this whole thread is useful on these PS.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...581061&page=10
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Last edited by jj604; Feb 25, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
anyone know a way to slow the fan down so it's not so loud?
They are easily replace with silent or near silent fans for about $10 plus shipping.
ReddiK is offline Find More Posts by ReddiK
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:46 AM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
The DPS-600PB power supply has two places to connect to DC ground and another two places to connect to the +12Vdc outlet. Is it important to use both pairs of the ground and positive connectors? I was thinking of putting female spade connectors to only one set of each outlets.
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
No need to use both as long as you solder to them. I'll connect a set of outputs to each one so I can run multiple chargers. In my blog I have a how-to showing the way I solder 10ga leads to them.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
Ive seen a few people wrapping there power supplies in what looks like a heat shrink tubing or some type of shrink wrap...

any links of suggestions?
dmize is offline Find More Posts by dmize
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
You can get shrink wrap at Graingers, Home Depot or Lowes, Ace Hardware etc. It is clear and is used for wrapping various products onto wooden pallets to keep them from shifting and falling off during transit. I like the 5" wide version myself. It is not adhesive, you just stretch it, and it attachs to itself. It's good stuff.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1 Posts
Y cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt View Post
Finished my 47AMP version today. Could not have completed it without your site and help.
Hello where did you buy your y cable for the power supply? I have located in a 18 gauge versions but I hope to find a thicker one.
jalexl is offline Find More Posts by jalexl
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
I bought two 1 foot long power cords on EBay and plugged them into a power strip that has an off/on switch. It's handy.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalexl View Post
Hello where did you buy your y cable for the power supply? I have located in a 18 gauge versions but I hope to find a thicker one.
cant beat these prices...

1 ft 14ga cable

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

14" 14ga Y cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
dmize is offline Find More Posts by dmize
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:52 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,807 Posts
http://www.quail.com/C-1513/Power-Co...AgAHgAIAAyAA==

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddiK View Post
They are easily replace with silent or near silent fans for about $10 plus shipping.
do you have a link?
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
[QUOTE=scub;21022089]do you have a link?[/QUOTE

Use google and search for a place in Bellevue, WA selling computer case fans-in the meantime, I'll try to find it.

Here's one: http://www.coolerguys.com/
ReddiK is offline Find More Posts by ReddiK
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)