SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:14 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Didn't get power supplies today, should be tomorrow. I did however order some AC splitter cables so that you can plug both power supplies into a single outlet. They are right at $10 each, but I'm not sure how that will screw with shipping charges since I don't think I can get the entire deal in a flat rate box anymore.

Anyway, more later when I have the power supplies and everything finalized.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:59 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
there are a few companies in Australia that sell spare parts for old servers etc. most of it gets crushed so dont pay too much

Multi-R-IT, NSW, Artarmon
ACT Logistics QLD.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:17 AM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
AKSCHU, where did you get your banana jacks? What are the amp rating? Are they solid copper? I'm having a tough time finding any from RShack rated over 10A. Thanks, DG
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:22 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...019%20keystone
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
I've just finished removing the breakout board on one of my PS-3601-1C power supplies. Not a fun task. I'm sure someone else could have done a better job, but the way they soldered the bars connecting to the main board in at both sides made this difficult. I ended up giving up on this method and cut the bars. Also not easy as they're rather thick.

After all of this I'm not sure that I haven't totally botched this power supply. I'm going to clean it up and try to power it up, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up aborting this project.

I definitely recommend going with the DPS-600PB for this mod since it seems to be much more easy to work with.
Aralan is offline Find More Posts by Aralan
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:42 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Still waiting for my new power supplies to show......
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:50 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Got the power supplies, recorded a video of me installing a full kit and building a short kit. Everything looks good. I'll have more details tomorrow and I'll be ready to ship out kits to those who want them. For now, take a look at this. I full kit installed, a full kit, and a short kit.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:45 AM
HAV
USA, FL, DeLand
Joined Dec 2004
210 Posts
Nice work and a very clean install..... HAV
HAV is offline Find More Posts by HAV
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Kits are ready to go:

www.northern-rc.com

I've already sold out of Y power cables. If there is more interest then I'll get some more.

schu
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:55 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Looks good!
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:42 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Ok, the first batch is sold out. Any interest in a second? Perhaps I'll wait for some feedback on how people like the kit before building more.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
!2/24

Have a simple question. When you do this conversion can you us both power supplies as 12v to power two charges or it it one 12v and one 24v. last what is the 24v amp rating?

Thanks Paul
txpaul is offline Find More Posts by txpaul
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:43 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
The power supplies have 4 terminals, two for each power supply. You can use a jumper between the two middle terminals to put the power supplies in series and use the outer two for 24v (47amps) or you can jumper both the red and blacks to each other and put the power supplies in parallel mode where you have 12v (94amps).

You can also wire for series and run one charger on the outside posts, then plug another charger into each power supply to get 12v.

The only thing you need to watch for is that plugging a charger into each power supply while in series mode makes one charger's chassis ground for one power supply but also DC+ for the other which means that setting it on top of the charger can cause a short.

Because of this It is recommended that you only use the right power supply for 12 while in series mode.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably make a diagram to mail out with the kits.

schu
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:13 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
I always insulate the power supply chassis that is to be ungrounded. Packing tape works fine.

Also remember you can not connect the power supplies in parallel for 94A and series for 24V at the same time.

If you wire both a 12V and a 24V output, I recommend using one kind of connector for the 12V output and a different kind for the 24V output. This will prevent you from connecting your 12V capable charger to 24V.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:22 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Insulating the power supply will protect from a short when putting a dc- grounded charger on the power supply, but it won't protect someone using two chargers, one on each power supply and having them touch each other.

Anyway, the solution for my power supply conversion kits is just don't use the floating power supply for 12v while in series mode. I have a graphic that I'm going to email to all of my customers.

When you follow this wiring practice then there isn't anyway to short anything out regardless of what touches what.