HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:12 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Put two 47 ohm resistors in parallel in line with the red wire. That makes the fan about 30% quieter without overheating.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2008
26 Posts
Put me down for a kit as well.
snellemin is offline Find More Posts by snellemin
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:31 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
I started working on my charge box while I'm waiting on the full kits to become available again. I used an aluminum flight box from harbor freight that I picked up for around $25. I put two DPST rocker switches on the side to control power to the power supplies. I ran the first power supply through both switches in parallel so that if either switch is in the up position, that power supply turns on. I ran the second power supply through both switches in series so that in order for that PS to turn on, both switches need to be in the up position. I then created a voltage switch box out of a project box, a couple of dual bind posts and 2 SPDT switches. This will allow me to set the output voltage from 12v to 24v with the flip of a switch. I still need to wire up the power supplies in series to get the 24v and I want to add a blue and red LED next to each output switch so that the blue LED will be lit when it's set to 12v and the red LED will be lit when it's set to 24v. I'll then enclose the power supplies in some light ply and add some power on LED indicators and build some compartments to hold paraboards, etc. It's been a fun project so far and has cost me quite a bit more than I was originally anticipating, but I think the end result will be pretty sweet
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Last edited by stickybeatz; Apr 27, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old May 03, 2011, 12:43 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Just a quick update for everybody. I have parts on hand to build 10 kits, just don't have any time. I'll try and get them built in the next few days. When I do I'll post here and toss them up on the website. If you want one the best thing to do is to subscribe to this thread.

Thanks,
schu
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old May 03, 2011, 10:57 AM
United States, PA
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akschu View Post
Just a quick update for everybody. I have parts on hand to build 10 kits, just don't have any time. I'll try and get them built in the next few days. When I do I'll post here and toss them up on the website. If you want one the best thing to do is to subscribe to this thread.

Thanks,
schu
I'll take a short kit which will make it easier on you and cheaper on me lol
fscii is offline Find More Posts by fscii
Old May 05, 2011, 06:37 AM
Joined May 2011
1 Posts
Long kit and power chord please...
ambravo is offline Find More Posts by ambravo
Old May 06, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2009
18 Posts
I would also like a long kit. Hope your doing better at home.
lpott6 is offline Find More Posts by lpott6
Old May 11, 2011, 01:20 PM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
126 Posts
i'd like a Short Kit!
darkfa8 is offline Find More Posts by darkfa8
Old May 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
I have the PS-3701-1 power supply. it's still being used in an old server that i now have at home. I'd like to quiet down the fan in this P/S.. and have tried the 47ohm 1/2 watt resistor inline with the red wire of the fan, but it fails to spin up. Can anyone offer me any assistance. am i doing something wrong? I don't get it.
nakster is offline Find More Posts by nakster
Old May 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,021 Posts
47 ohms is too much resistance. Try at least two (or 3 or 4) in parallel to lower the resistance.

I've found that the sweet spot to reduce fan noise and still provide adequate cooling for most of the server supplies that I've modded is 10-15 ohms.

Be sure to measure the resistance of your resistors prior to installing to ensure that they're what you expect. Some cheaper resistors can vary wildly from specification.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
Thanks, I tried 10ohm on the red wire. still won't spin.

i'm thinking there's something with the circuits in this thing that doesn't like the added resistance... a guess.

seems most of this thread has been for a later model 3701-1c.. maybe that has something to do with it. it shouldn't be this complicated LoL
Old May 13, 2011, 05:16 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,021 Posts
Does the fan still work when plugged directly into the socket? Very odd that it does not spin at all with a 10 ohm resistor. Does the fan have only two wires?
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
Fan has three wires. If i remove the resistor and reconnect the red wires together, it spins up fine. Sometimes if it's not been spinning for a while, it needs the plug on the powersupply pulled for a couple minutes before it resets.

I've even tried just putting in a quite 80mm x 25mm fan, and that won't spin up even on it's own. (likely internal resistance?)
Old May 15, 2011, 12:47 PM
United States, MI, Haslett
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
power supply

I am new to this and just bought these on ebay for $15 for 2 plus $5 shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-2-hp-DL380-G...ht_1446wt_1141
they are dl380 g3 I guess generation 3. I plan to use the step by step
instructions I found on this website http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...projects/HP47A. I don't really see
anyone on this rcgroups post giving step by step instructions and it seems like
you are all far above that level or just buying the short of long kits. I just need to know if what I am doing here is heading me in the right direction.

Thanks
Larry
lklansingkiter is offline Find More Posts by lklansingkiter
Old May 15, 2011, 02:16 PM
United States, IL, Evanston
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
lkansingkiter - G3 Power Supplies

lkansingkiter....

I'm certainly not an electronics guy, so this is just a heads up...The G3 Power Supplies you bought are 400W a piece instead of 600W like the G4's. I don't know how much of a difference it makes when following tjinguy's instructions or when purchasing a kit from akschu, but there is a lot of juice flowing through these things, so it certainly pays to be careful.

Best of luck,

~Josh
longjohnsally is offline Find More Posts by longjohnsally
Last edited by longjohnsally; May 15, 2011 at 05:31 PM.