Add me to the list for 1 full kit.

Thanks,
Scott
z3scot is offline Find More Posts by z3scot
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:27 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
I got some parts ordered, but this time I'm not going to start selling them until they are actually built since last time I got ahead of myself. I suspect they will be available next weekend since it takes about 5 hours to build 10 kits.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:44 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
put me down for a full kit too
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:50 AM
Joined Aug 2008
3 Posts
Keystone binding post heads unscrewable?

Great thread Akschu,

As I live in Europe and the Tax plus custom charges totals 25,7% not to mention the shipping costs, I've made my one kit per Akschu's specifications.
I hope you don't mind Akschu, and I want to thank you for all the info, the power supplies work great!

Regarding the advice to use ring terminals w.r.t. the high current, my Keystone double head Binding post (See Akschu reccomendation on page 4, type number is 7019) does not allow to unscrew the heads. They jam after 5 millimeters. Can I just force them? Has anyone tried that?
Haven't tried it myself yet as I'm afraid to damage them. Ofcourse, I can use U-shaped terminals, but I like the ring terminals better.

Regards,

Remco45
Remco45 is offline Find More Posts by Remco45
Last edited by Remco45; Apr 24, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:07 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
I notch the ring terminal by cutting out a section. It's not perfectly ideal, but does work fine and results in a solid connection that doesn't raise in temp even while pulling 45 amps through it. There is still a little more surface area over using a u shaped connector.

It would be nice if the lugs came off, but I still think this is the best solution as the connector is very high quality.

Hope that helps,
Schu
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:53 AM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
Anyone connect of the stock fan on the DPS-600PB to the +5v purple wire that runs to the breakout board? When removing the breakout board tonight I did this. Seemed to work well. The fan is now very quite. I guess time will tell if the PS get's enough cooling when doing this.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:27 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
It's not enough cooling. If you run the power supply hard it will get very hot.

I've been installing two 47ohm resistors in parallel which quiets the fan a bit, but it's still not very quiet, but I'm confident that I'm not going to have heating problems.

schu
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Rydalmere
Joined Feb 2010
34 Posts
You can run the fan - wire to the + 5VSB and the + wire to the normal header (+12V) on the fan. This gives a differential of 7V which is not too bad.

Alternatively, you can run a resistor/pot between pin 4 and Gnd to control the fan speed.

Cheers
whitedg
whitedg is offline Find More Posts by whitedg
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try out the 7v trick tonight.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
Couple more questions.

1. Is there an easy way to remove the white epoxy looking stuff from around the fan connector?

2. Is the ribbon cable that goes to the breakout board removable from the power supply board. I pulled on the black connector but it didn't seem to budge.

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:47 PM
United States, PA
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akschu View Post
I got some parts ordered, but this time I'm not going to start selling them until they are actually built since last time I got ahead of myself. I suspect they will be available next weekend since it takes about 5 hours to build 10 kits.
Let me know about getting one.
fscii is offline Find More Posts by fscii
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:51 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
I should have the parts today, but I just don't have any time to build these things until later in the week. I'll put them on the site when I get them done, but it will be soon.

schu
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:48 AM
United States, IL, Evanston
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Another full kit please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akschu View Post
I should have the parts today, but I just don't have any time to build these things until later in the week. I'll put them on the site when I get them done, but it will be soon.

schu
If it's not too late, I'd love to get in on this round. Will you have enough for one more full kit?

~LongJohnSally
longjohnsally is offline Find More Posts by longjohnsally
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedg View Post
You can run the fan - wire to the + 5VSB and the + wire to the normal header (+12V) on the fan. This gives a differential of 7V which is not too bad.

Alternatively, you can run a resistor/pot between pin 4 and Gnd to control the fan speed.

Cheers
whitedg
I tried the 7v trick last night, but no go. I connected the black wire from the fan to the 5v wire that went to the breakout board. The PS would come on for a second (fan never ran) and then would shut down. Any ideas?