Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
Knowledge is power.
Watts = Volts * Amps

I bet you can do the math from there
Yea, thanks. It's been a while and that is something I should remember but I just don't use it every day. More like haven't used it in the past 5 years...
Gottria is offline Find More Posts by Gottria
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Are there more kits in the works?? Or should I just keep an eye on the website?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:06 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Subscribe to the thread. When I make more I'll post here.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:29 AM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Another question

In the picture below, the bottom left PS tjinguy added a single 24v jack on the left PS. I guess he just router the negative wire of the left PS between the cases to the positive of the right PS. I like that setup a lot, nice and clean with no jumpers.

So if I put a 2nd negative jack on the right PS and attached the 2 jacks together on the inside could I run a 24v charger and a 12v charger at the same time? The 2nd charger is a little 5amp Thunder AC6 charger.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:37 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Correct, you could run both a 12v and 24v, but don't run 12v off of the left power supply with the floating ground because a metal charger that has the chassis connected to dc- could cause a short if it was placed on top of the power supply.

I prefer the way I did it because it offers the flexibility of running two 12v power supplies at the same time if you don't jumper them together, or you can jumper them together in parallel mode if you want to power several 12v power supplies.

I also like the terminals I provide better because you can use a ring terminal, a banana, or bare wire.

I don't like the open fan on the power supplies in the middle, but the ones on the right look nice. What are those?

schu
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:57 AM
Pitch - Roll - Y'all
St. Louis
Joined Oct 2001
201 Posts
schu,

I'm guessing your kits use the existing hot-shoe plug with jumpers to turn on the power supply. Earlier in the thread you said something about investigating different jumper connections and/or resistors to slow down the hypersonic fans.

Do your kits address the fan speed? I've been replacing my fans with Sunon 40x40x20 mm 12v units (at one-time suggested by Chris, aka TJinGuy, on his projects page). http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/home

I'm wondering if I would need to modify your kit in any way to prevent slowing down a now, already slower fan?

Thanks!
Brian Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Brian Molloy
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:45 AM
Joined Apr 2011
15 Posts
Well I'm putting mine together this weekend. I picked up 4 of the HP supplies for $40 and a neighbor had all the wires and connectors, he works at a car stereo place. I did have to buy the aluminum and banana jacks but at least they had it locally. We cut the aluminum last night, I have more than I know what to do with now. How do you guys turn these things off when not in use, unplug the AC? I'm going to add a switch in there somewhere on the ribbon cable so I can turn them off when not in use.

What is the white wires in this pick below? The Zener diodes?

Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:39 AM
Pitch - Roll - Y'all
St. Louis
Joined Oct 2001
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
How do you guys turn these things off when not in use, unplug the AC? I'm going to add a switch in there somewhere on the ribbon cable so I can turn them off when not in use.

I plug the power supply cord into a switched duplex http://www.amazon.com/LEVITON-L11-05.../dp/B00002NAW3

mounted in a metal electrical box http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RAC...4&ci_sku=2DDB6 .

and cover http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RAC...241?Pid=search

You get to pick the length for the cord to suit your setup. Most of the items were found in my electrical junk box. I already had a salvaged electrical cord and cord clamp http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RAC...BaseItem=2DDB6 .

My cost was about $6 and could be reused for another project.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Molloy View Post
schu,

I'm guessing your kits use the existing hot-shoe plug with jumpers to turn on the power supply. Earlier in the thread you said something about investigating different jumper connections and/or resistors to slow down the hypersonic fans.

Do your kits address the fan speed? I've been replacing my fans with Sunon 40x40x20 mm 12v units (at one-time suggested by Chris, aka TJinGuy, on his projects page). http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/home

I'm wondering if I would need to modify your kit in any way to prevent slowing down a now, already slower fan?

Thanks!
Can you recommend a place to buy the Sunon fans? Everytime I turn on my PS it hurts my ears. Definitely need slower fans.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:07 AM
Pitch - Roll - Y'all
St. Louis
Joined Oct 2001
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
Can you recommend a place to buy the Sunon fans? Everytime I turn on my PS it hurts my ears. Definitely need slower fans.

I've bought mine off eBay and Allied Electric. Search on "Sunon 40x40x20"; of course make sure it is a 12 volt model. There are several wiring configurations (two, three, and four wire). Apparently you need the three wire. I tried a two wire (thought I was ordering a three wire from Allied) but the power supply would shut down within a second or so. Hooked up the three wire fan and worked perfectly. The third wire must tell the unit that the fan is running.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Molloy View Post
I've bought mine off eBay and Allied Electric. Search on "Sunon 40x40x20"; of course make sure it is a 12 volt model. There are several wiring configurations (two, three, and four wire). Apparently you need the three wire. I tried a two wire (thought I was ordering a three wire from Allied) but the power supply would shut down within a second or so. Hooked up the three wire fan and worked perfectly. The third wire must tell the unit that the fan is running.
Thanks for the info. How much more quite would you say the Sunon fan is compared with the original fan?
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
The white wires plug into the header to turn the power supply on when the breakout board is missing.

schu
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:24 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
And the wires on that one are reversed. I don't know what I was thinking....
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:30 AM
Pitch - Roll - Y'all
St. Louis
Joined Oct 2001
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
Well I'm putting mine together this weekend. I picked up 4 of the HP supplies for $40 and a neighbor had all the wires and connectors, he works at a car stereo place. I did have to buy the aluminum and banana jacks but at least they had it locally. We cut the aluminum last night, I have more than I know what to do with now. How do you guys turn these things off when not in use, unplug the AC? I'm going to add a switch in there somewhere on the ribbon cable so I can turn them off when not in use.

What is the white wires in this pick below? The Zener diodes?

Think the wiring in that picture is reversed on the 24v side. If I've followed the thread correctly, the Zener is in the second "ground wire" on the 24v side. The white wires probably ground pins 1 & 2 and the jumpers make the other three connections.

Just a guess, I can solder and assemble, not a designer . . . I have released the "magic blue smoke" before.

Look forward to the next run of kits . . . put me down for two please!!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:31 AM
Pitch - Roll - Y'all
St. Louis
Joined Oct 2001
201 Posts
Looks like schu beat me to the post . . .