Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:29 PM
4.5 Kilowatts of Awesome
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2007
740 Posts
Awesome, thank you very much!

Edit: PL8 is showing 25.4VDC while charging. Perfect! Thanks again!
gravydrive is offline Find More Posts by gravydrive
Last edited by gravydrive; Mar 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:56 AM
TT
mad scientist
Lawrence, KS USA
Joined May 1999
158 Posts
I just scored (4) HP DPS-600PB B from eBay for $48 shipped! Now I can feed my hungry Hyperion 720i Duo chargers properly. I'm going to be flying BIG packs in 90-sized electric helis and these power supplys with akschu's kit will be EXACTLY what I need...at a much lower price tag.
TT is offline Find More Posts by TT
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
This run is sold out. I have everything except the wire, I should have it on monday. It will take a day or two to build the kits, so they should leave mid this week.

schu
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:37 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Did some testing tonight. I modified my power supplies and put in a 62 ohm resistor the middle of the red fan wire (if you do this make sure it's a 1/2watt resistor) and it made the power supplies much quieter, but I wanted to make sure that they didn't get too hot. I figured I could get away with a bit less noise since they aren't in a hot server rack, but my testing showed that running at 750 watts they both got to around 115F externally. That is a little too warm for my taste.

I'm going to try a 33 ohm resistor and see how that works. Hopefully it will keep the power supplies under 100F and still get the noise down.

While doing this test I started looking at the banana plugs on the output side of my PL8. At 40amps my bananas were getting to 130F. I think it's time to get better banana plugs that connect better.

On the power supply side the ring terminals and banana jacks were cold, though I was only running the power supplies at 27 amps.

Moral of the story: These power supplies combined with a high power charger can get really hot if your connections aren't really good. Make certain that everything is connected well enough to stay under 150F.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:28 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Amen to good connectors. Why do the charger mfrs have such long input leads?
Would a resister with an inverse temp coeff work to speed up the fans as the temp goes up?
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:29 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
I don't know.... I'll look into that.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:49 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Ok, so I'm seeing that these resistors usually increase the resistance when they get hot, which is the opposite to what we need. They are also not really in the right ranges since we need something between 0-60 ohm. I suppose I could build a circuit do deal with this, but I don't think it would be worth it. I'm going to add another resistor in parallel to drop the ohms down to 31 and see how that works.

schu
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2007
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
Could you give me a quote for shipping to Athens, Greece please?

Tried getting a quote from your site but get:

Cheers
Mark
Bump
cbr6fs is offline Find More Posts by cbr6fs
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:36 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
It's an extra $10 for shipping. Though, I don't have any right now. Best bet is to subscribe to this thread and when I make more I'll post.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:46 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2007
148 Posts
Great thanks.
cbr6fs is offline Find More Posts by cbr6fs
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:18 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Sorry for the late shipping. I'm finishing the power supply kits today. I got the parts a bit later than I expected and then found out this weekend that my wife wants a divorce so that has been sucking me dry emotionally. I hope you guys can understand and forgive me. I'll get everything out today, latest tomorrow.... Sorry.
Last edited by akschu; Apr 09, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:58 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
I already have one of your kits, so I am not waiting, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck, I've been there.
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:21 PM
HAV
USA, FL, DeLand
Joined Dec 2004
210 Posts
Like ForceFed...I have one of your great kits, so not waiting either. Just wanted to say hang in there, been down that road as well. Keep busy.... HAV
HAV is offline Find More Posts by HAV
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:35 PM
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined Feb 2011
102 Posts
I dont know what to say except to wish you luck and better times... Thanks for all your work and for the info on this thread!

Newman12
Newman12 is online now Find More Posts by Newman12
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:51 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
All of the kits have shipped. Thanks to everyone for their patients.

Also, my wife wants to divorce, I'm devastated, but I want to work through our issues and keep our family together. Prayers would be appreciated.

schu