SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:47 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
690 Posts
Help!
how to use this elevon mixer

Hi there. Just got this mixer and need help on how to hook it up. It has 2 plug ins on the unit itself, one on top of the other, where I plug my servos into. Then on the trailing end there is a Futaba plug (black, white, red wires), and a JR plug(orange, brown, yellow wires). I am using it on a GWS Rx, and need info on how and where to hook it up to.
NEW222 is offline Find More Posts by NEW222
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:59 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,953 Posts
Plug the two servos onto the pins and the cables into aileron and elevator on the receiver and start experimenting. Keep track of what you do because there are several combinations and only one of them will give you the right results. First you'll have to figure out which way round the servo plugs go on the pins. They will only work one way. Getting it wrong won't harm anything. Do one to find out and then the other to match it.

Focus on getting the control surfaces to move together with elevator input and in opposite directions for aileron input. You don't tell us what transmitter you are using. Does it have servo reversing?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:20 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
690 Posts
Yes, it has servo reversing. Futaba Conquest 4 channel FM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:32 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
690 Posts
Well, when I plug the Futaba end into port 2 and the JR end into port 1 the annoying bell stops. Then I plug the servos in. When I plug the servos in, they move, but when I push up and down on the right stick, it acts as the ailerons, and when I move it side to side, the elevators go up and down together. Unplug one lead from the Rx, that damn buzzer goes off.....
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:47 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
Well, when I plug the Futaba end into port 2 and the JR end into port 1 the annoying bell stops. Then I plug the servos in. When I plug the servos in, they move, but when I push up and down on the right stick, it acts as the ailerons, and when I move it side to side, the elevators go up and down together. Unplug one lead from the Rx, that damn buzzer goes off.....
I told you you are going to have to experiment. I'm assuming you have the radio in the model so you can see which way the surfaces, not just the servos move. The three variables are: (1) elevator reverse, (2) aileron reverse, and (3) which cable goes to aileron and which to elevator. So get experimenting.

Where is the buzzer?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:57 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
690 Posts
Buzzer is in the end of the mixer, opposite of the leads to the Rx. Will try again now, and report back. Thank you.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:08 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
690 Posts
Ok, so the new results.... It works as I had originally thought and hooked it up, only thing different was that I made a big mistake. I was using a Berg DSP Rx. I don't know what I was typing. Sorry. But after hooking up the GWS Rx, it worked great.

Now, I tried the Berg DSP 5 and 6 again, along with a Cirrus Rx, and neither worked with the mixer. I hooked up the same as the GWS was while it worked, but no go. I swapped the servo leads, nothing, I then tried swapping the leads to the receiver, again, nothing. Not a big deal as I will use the GWS, but was wondering what may be causing this? Thanks again for the help and sorry for my mistake of Rx.