HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:02 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
Discussion
Just got my Blitz RC Works Pitts Special from Banana Hobby!

Took a chance on Banana hobby even after they had some bad reviews. Used their online chat feature to make sure the Pitts was in stock (probably a good idea before an order). Shipped quickly, arrived on time. No worries. Beautiful plane out of the box, and I'll keep you posted how it builds, looks and flies.
Spark
Sparkorama is offline Find More Posts by Sparkorama
Last edited by Sparkorama; Jan 10, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
We need some pics! I've gotten a couple of things from there with no issue.
wavo is offline Find More Posts by wavo
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:11 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
To say the build was easy would be an understatement. No glue needed. All servos in place. Rudder and elevator already totally connected. Two screws for the bottom wing, two for the top into the wing support frame on the front of the fuse, and two through the top wing into the wing struts. Exceedingly simple. One of the blind nuts on the lower wing came off in the box. Epoxied it back on before the build. Seems like the same problem happened to someone else I read about. Perhaps a QC issue. The only real issue is with where to put the esc and battery. It has two compartments, obviously designed before Li-po batteries took over. I put the receiver under the wing, and put the battery in the front compartment as suggested by some of the other things I've read about this plane. CG was within the range suggested in the manual. I put a little weight in the nose to bring it forward a little. It's beautiful. The only issue I can see with the plane itself is that, like a lot of foam planes, some of the control surfaces may not be exactly straight. I'm not an expert but usually a little pressure or a little heat and pressure will solve the problem. The rudder is a tiny bit warped, but I don't see it being a huge issue. The ESC is already getting hot just being plugged in, so I'm not sure if I will have to drill holes to keep it cool. I'll maiden it tomorrow if it's not too snowy or windy and add some info then. Truly, the plane is great looking. Doesn't look like foam and the paint job is excellent. Very nice model. This is my kind of plane. Great looking and exceedingly easy to build.
Last edited by Sparkorama; Jan 10, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:28 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
Maiden flight today: Nice slow speed flying. Very stable. CG might have been a little back. Was flying at near stall and it had very calm characteristics. Came in for a landing a little slow. It probably needs to be flown in a bit more as I either came in steep or tip-stalled at the last moment and broke the prop. That's when I realized that I had left my package of extra props at home. End of flying day. More tomorrow. Lovely plane. Love it. Beautiful and flies nicely. Lots of power. I think I was flying at about a quarter throttle just to take it easy. A+ plane. Very highly recommended.

p.s. added some stick-on weights (1.5oz) to the front battery compartment to move cg forward.
Last edited by Sparkorama; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:39 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
second flight and PICS!

After a second flight in nasty winds, I had a bad takeoff (it was calm when I started the run, but a 25 mph gust blew me into a tree!) and a crash. Repairs with epoxy, and flew again today. Nice, docile flight and some aerobatics. Need to increase control throws on the horns and may consider some prop changes. Flew about 8 minutes and used only 700 or so mah out of the 1800 mah battery. May have been pulling less power since it was bitter cold, but a really nice flight time. Several slow but still powered landings were a breeze. Came in floating on no throttle, upped to about 10 percent, and landed nice and smooth. Here are some pics. Note the stick on weights in the first pic. Moves cg forward and makes for a VERY tight fit for the battery but it works well. More info listed with the pics.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:23 AM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
by the way, much cheaper versions available with different color schemes at hobbyking.
Spark
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
925 Posts
Agree on all counts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post16948241
FNFAL is offline Find More Posts by FNFAL
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:00 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,123 Posts
GLAD to find this thread!!! I just purchased mine yesterday. Will most likely ship or at least process Monday. I ordered a JPower F-86 from them a while back. Ordered on a Wednesday, had it the following Wednesday. Still fly it, it's a blast!! Simple and slow little jet but total fun for the bucks.

Really excited about getting this lil Pitts!!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I love mine, and just ordered a few 10x7 apc props. Hoping they provide a little more pull for aerobatic performance.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:15 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,123 Posts
A friend at our field has the old Hobby King version before Banana bought the rights to the ArtTech design. He loves it and plans to buy another one.

Some of the mods he suggested are:

1. Bigger prop.
2. Bigger wheels to aviod prop strike with bigger prop.
3. Take out the single aileron servo and do one for each.
4. Add some nose weight.
5. Maybe strengthen the lower wing.

I'm curious if this version requires the same, or is most of that taken care of by now?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:14 AM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
If you look at mine, I put some weight in the nose and I just got an apc 10x7 prop, so I'll let you know how that works.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:39 AM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,123 Posts
Cool! Thanks & good luck!!!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:56 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,925 Posts
I loved mine--right up to the point that I hit a free-standing basketball backboard at almost full speed. I really wish I had video. I just wanted to mention a "word to the wise" here; I once ordered a replacement set of wings for mine from BH, and the replacement wings were set up only for aerilons on the bottom wings, not top and bottom like the new plane. This can be worked around, of course, but I thought I should let folks know . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:16 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
Just switched my prop to an apc 10x7. Stronger pull, better performance, way better vertical (essentially unlimited). One note, the thin shaft doesn't really fit the main prop adapter that comes with apc props. I just cranked mine on tight so the washer and nut put it in the center. Seemed to work fine, but I'm sure it's not perfectly balanced (for those of you who really worry about prop balancing). Still, it flies much better than the stock 10x4.7 prop.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:02 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,123 Posts
Mine will be here Wednesday. They messed up processing it, so it's taking a little longer, but I'm fine with it.

Currently enjoying my Parkzone P-47 too much!