SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Hovering a Blade 120 SR

A few weeks ago I bought a blade 120 SR. I had a few coaxials and felt comfortable with those so decided to move to a fixed pitch.

I've started trying to hover and have been struggling. Once I get it in The air it quickly gets out of control. I am not sure if I'm just being ham fisted with my control inputs or if something is off with the setup.

I know this isnt much to go on but any thoughts would be much appreciated. I think I am going to spring for a new rotor hub and a few other pieces as it seems that the links from the hub to the flybar pop off every time I "land".

Thanks in advance.

Doug
dmw16 is offline Find More Posts by dmw16
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:42 PM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Spin it up and hold it there just before it starts to lift off. just a hair under lift off and see what it starts to do.. Most of the time its just trim adjustment..
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:27 PM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,081 Posts
Fighting similar battle. Mine skids to the right and applying left aileron trim does not seem to help. Gettiing it about a foot or so off the floor doesn't help either as it heads sideways to the left. I did correct the turning problem with trim, but that did not affect the skid. I have only had mine out twice so far. Hope to get air time this week, but somewhat questionable right now.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Doug, hope you don't mind me joining in your thread, but maybe we can fight it together.
RonR214 is online now Find More Posts by RonR214
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:50 PM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Make sure ur swash plate is level. When you plug in ur battery try to do it so the heli is level and wait a few seconds while the gyro sets before you move the heli to take off position..
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:30 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

Mine also skids as I near the point of reaching the level of lift needed to take off.

I am out of town all this week but I will play with the trim levels and check the swash plate. When you say it needs to be level is that level to the eye or actually checked with some sort of instrument?

I am encouraged to know I'm not alone. I had visions of one day flying a CP heli and my tribulations with the 120 were really discouraging.

Any further tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:40 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,199 Posts
The swashplate should be at 90* to the mainshaft that is level. also start with trims at center and adjust links to get it to level then fine tune after test flights.

As a Helli leaves the ground it wants to move to the side just as it gets light on the skids you learn to compensate for it and to lift it off faster to pass that effect it doesn't mean a big leap into the air just a small jump of 10" or a little more would help at first. It will become to be automatic you start throttling up and start thinking about the correction you will have to make and and it just flows to the controls and its in the air hovering. went back and read the OP this suggestion is for a mechanically sound 120.

Doug
If you are being ham fisted. The fixed pitch is allot more sensitive to stick throw so if you could throw the sticks to full throw each side with your coax you will only get away with maybe 1/4 throw on each side of center with the 120 and thats with smooth movement any aggressive movement and its its twitchy and all over the place and hard to control and easy to crash so easy on the sticks.

Also some people may laugh but there is always training gear anybody thats learning control can use at first even if only for a couple of days to gain understanding of there helis rate of movement side to side forward backward and with takeoffs it can slide and not tip over with the training gear and you will learn how to pop it off the ground under control with out the slide easier. I have used them and I'm sure they save me down time and parts money without really knowing your backgrounds of either of you. you maybe advanced beyond my advice good luck
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
Doug
If you are being ham fisted. The fixed pitch is allot more sensitive to stick throw so if you could throw the sticks to full throw each side with your coax you will only get away with maybe 1/4 throw on each side of center with the 120 and thats with smooth movement any aggressive movement and its its twitchy and all over the place and hard to control and easy to crash so easy on the sticks.
I am not giving it nearly full input. It almost seems like a harmonic...the more I try to compensate the greater the magnitude of the perturbations from level hover I seem to get. But I will check everything people have suggested and go from there.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:00 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Ive read that flying them with a good transmitter is much easier than using the RTF Tx. I'm going to buy one this week. I need a small heli
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:29 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
All helis start to skid and tip when you take off, small light FP helis even more than others. You learn to compensate, you learn to use very gentle inputs and you learn to get quickly a few feet in the air until you can handle ground effect air currents better. It becomes second nature after awhile and you will hardly notice it. If you are coming from those 3 channel coax helis, this is going to be a real jump for you. But, hang in there, you'll get it in a few weeks.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 10, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:59 AM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,081 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, will see how it goes Thursday, hopefully.

Ron
RonR214 is online now Find More Posts by RonR214
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:51 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
Generally, there is very little you can adjust with the SR120. The swashplate may seperate and require snapping back together, the guide pin may jump out of the anti-rotation bracket, or a servo may stick and need to be freed. Beyond that, you probably broke something.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:57 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Check out Radd's School of Rotary Flight

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
Ive read that flying them with a good transmitter is much easier than using the RTF Tx. I'm going to buy one this week. I need a small heli
Is this the case? I was going to buy a new TX (thinking DX6i) and a sim, maybe I'll do that sooner rather than later if it will help with my 120SR.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:06 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
I believe the controller that comes with the SR120 has dual rates. You get beginner rates if you press in on the left stick, if it's the same controller as used on the MSR. A programmable Tx (like the DX6i) doesn't do a lot of good on a FP heli. It will change the feel, but you are still going to have to learn to fly the heli.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:15 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
After all is said and done you might just need more practice. I practiced on a sim for a few and weeks and I was Hovering my first cp heli in the first 20 mins, the next day I was already starting forward flight. I attribute it all to the sim training.
RC_Marine is offline Find More Posts by RC_Marine