HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:56 PM
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Apr 2009
965 Posts
Discussion
TCopter Frames

Greetings
In the next week or so I plan to offer custom built TCopter frames of my own design for sale. I have been flying this configuration for about a month and am very pleased with it's performance. The frames will be complete with all motor mounts, a robust direct drive tail yaw mechanism complete with Spektrum DS821 servo already installed, and a power wire harness already installed. Presently all power wires are routed inside the left and right arms and I'm looking for the best way to do the same with the rear arm without comprimising it's strength. The frame includes a 2.5" x 6" electronics "table" on top and a 2.5" x 11" battery "table" on the bottom for a wide range of CG adjustment. I will include two velcro straps to hold the battery. In the last picture of the included pictures you can see 3 units (center) partially assembled and painted, a fourth unit (left) with motors and props mounted and my present TCopter (right) fully assembled on the right.

The full parts list including the servo totals just over $41 and I plan to offer them for around $70. I wanted to get the opinion of the many talented people active in these forums as to the merit of my plan. Please review the images and let me know your opinion(s).
Regards
Chuck Stasek
EnigmaSoar is online now Find More Posts by EnigmaSoar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:11 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Very good idea Chuck, you may want to list this in the for sale section also. Maybe you would like to have an ATF version too.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Apr 2009
965 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Very good idea Chuck, you may want to list this in the for sale section also. Maybe you would like to have an ATF version too.
Thanks Rich. I will put it in the for sale section too. What is meant by ATF please? Anything like ARF?

I'm planning on putting them up on E-Bay as my method of placing orders. I can control the market and accept pay-pal. I'll then post that link to the "for sale" section. If things work out I may start an e-commerce site but that's a long ways down the road yet.

By the way, the forum indicates that you have achieved a miles worth of postings (5280).

Later
Chuck
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Yes, sorry, I meant ARF Almost Ready to Fly.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Apr 2009
965 Posts
Goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Yes, sorry, I meant ARF Almost Ready to Fly.
That would certainly be a goal to strive for. One reason I don't want to jump in that deep just yet is that the configuration is likely to undergo some big changes in the near future. I don't want to try to build up and offer WM+ versions if the WM+ is likely to be replaced by, some other sensors in the near future (ITG3200 perhaps?). That's the reason for selling frames to finance some R&D in other areas. I'm working on some control board designs that incorporate a modular approach with a main control board on the bottom and stackable daughter boards to hold sensors, receivers, etc. The I/O of the main board doesn't change (i.e. receiver/ppm input, ESC outputs) so I just pass the I2C up to (and through) the daughter boards. Then if the gyro configuration changes it's just that daughter board that will be redesigned and it will still connect via the same I2C pins down to the mother board.

Here is a picture of one prototype design I'm considering (3 to a board to save etch costs). Actually the RX board may not be necessary as the RX can be mounted to female headers on the top daughter board regardless of the principal purpose of that board. Anyway the wheels continue to turn.
Later
Chuck
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Just as a suggestion, you may have better success by starting a local club or approaching a local school and sell them. True, there are many other people on RCG doing the same, but I strongly believe you want to create a niche market verse competing for business here. Not saying to not sale here to, but expand your market.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:12 PM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,478 Posts
I like the way you made the frame and the yaw mount. Looks like it'd be easier to keep orientation than on a regular build
tonkajeep34 is online now Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Burl wood Taranis Case
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
I agree, the Yaw mechanism is the Greatest and the best I have seen.