HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:56 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
Build Log
Another OneSheet - OSB the One Sheet Bipe

After getting the 60" span OSG (One Sheet Glider) out of a single sheet of Dollar Store foam board, I have been fascinated with designing planes to use up a single sheet to make a plane. Here's the second one sheet plane, a 30" span biplane reminiscent of the WW1 era planes. The first version came out with a fuse slightly too short vertically, so I revised to Version 2 which is shown here. V1 is a nice flyer, but just looks a bit odd... V2 Chord is 4 3/4" on both top and bottom wings, but bottom wing is 25" span. She's gotten good reviews at Ultimate Soccer Arena where we fly indoors, so I think it's time to post plans. Unfortunately, no video yet, as we were always all flying (in the foam blender, not a great place to maiden and tune in a new plane....) with noone to take the vid. Hopefully this week, and I'll be able to demo how she flys.

Original plans called for swept top wing, straight bottom wing with dihedral in bottom wing only. That setup turns very nicely, and is really stable in the air. I have kept throws low to start with, so she won't rudder roll well, but loops nicely. I liked the swept wings so much I swept the lower one too for V2

When I made V2, I started with straight wings as a variation (more dihedral on lower wing than top). She looks nice, more Jenny-like, but turns are "different". Slow to bank into the turn, and once banked needs more than neutral sticks to "unbank". Not bad, but I was surprised at how much better/easier to fly the swept wings are.

Forgot to add the gear to this post, so here's what I'm running now: 1700KV 24gm Blue wonder motor, 7x6 sf prop (or 8x4.3, but the 7incher flys better), 12amp esc, 2s 800mah pack. She uses a HK V1 2.4 setup with 5gm Hextronik servos. All up weight less battery comes to 7.5oz for the swept wing V2 with landing gear and cowl.

Here's a vid of her flying at Ultimate Soccer Arena in Pontiac, MI. Thanks to Don for the camera work!
OSB first indoor video (1 min 54 sec)
OSB snow (2 min 20 sec)
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Feb 20, 2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added motor/batt/rx information
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:05 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
Plans/templates

Here are the pdf template sheet, a jpg with major dimensions, and a jpg with all the pieces called out. As you can see in these pics, the 20x30 inch sheet is mostly used up, but with more curves than the OSG, utilization isn't quite as complete. I found that even though I printed out the full "template" sheet (uses 8 letter size sheets), It was easiest to just draw the major lines right on the foam, then use the templates for the smaller parts like formers and tail surfaces where the curves are more easily traced than drawn. You will also note the mis-drawn line - hey, it was only the second time I drew it up!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Jan 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:13 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
construction

Construction for the fuselage begins with assembling the monobloc from three formers. I added the hole for esc/motor wires, and a halfx3/16 hole to insert a scrap piece of foam 1/2 by 1/2 inch which helps alignment when glueing them together. next the two formers and servo shelf are glued together (the tabs and slots help alignment). Then Glue the two fuse sides to the monobloc and shelf/former assembly, Lining bottom of formers with the wing cutout, and using a square or other means to insure both sides are aligned perfectly. I glued the aft tip where sides come together next, setting up for the fuse top and bottom. I rolled the rounded fuse forward and aft tops cold over a table edge and glued them to the fuse holding with pins and tape. I next glued the forward fuse bottom, but held off on the aft bottom until I got the control rods installed. Monobloc goes in front flush with the leading edge of fuse. It can be glued up with all the rest, or as I did, glued it in after the rest had cured.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:16 PM
den bach
USA, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Sep 2008
50 Posts
nice work gett[ng that bird out of one sheet
den bach is offline Find More Posts by den bach
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:30 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
Thanks, Den!

More build stuff:

Horizontal stab glues to fuse so the elevator hinge line is just aft of the fuse tip. I used a single layer of packing tape for elevator hinge, and the alternating hinge method for Rudder hinge. Which method one uses isn't critical. Vertical stab and rudder are glued next.

Wings: The wings are KFM5a or KFC airfoil, with a gentle Undercamber (about 1/4") and forward 40% doubled. I like this setup, as it makes a thicker leading edge for gentle stall characteristics, and a bit more strength, and helps set the camber. I rolled the camber into both wings and steps over the table edge, then laminated the steps to wings. The best way I found is to tape the LE of wing and step together with masking tape, getting them aligned, then apply gorilla glue to one surface and fixturing them by setting the wing LE on a 1/4" strip of wood, and placing a weight (board plus some weight) on top to keep everything aligned and prevent swelling. After the glueup, the top (or bottom) wing can be cut and swept. Note that the steps for top wing are cut and glued to outboard ends, and the "top wing step center" is trimmed and fitted into the gap at midline. Bottom wing step is full span, and if sweeping bottom wing, it's just cut and glue. I have added skewers to LE on most of the wings and find it helps with durability and wing stiffness. (sand a groove in lower step LE with paper around a skewer, then glue skewer into groove)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:38 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
Center Cabanes

Cabanes: I made the center cabane/wing supports out of 1/16 ply, popsicle sticks and skewers. The templates show relative sizes. Lower wing is rubberbanded to the skewers through the fuse and cabanes, while upper wing is rubberbanded to the skewers that run fore and aft on cabane tops. I added another 3/8 wide 1/16 strip to cabane inner surface to "fill the space" between cabane and fuse side and stabilize the fit. So far, I haven't glued the cabanes to the fuse, but may ultimately. Not gluing them allows more tinkering.... I haven't added the outboard wing to wing supports yet, as they aren't really required with the two wings rubber-banded on, but for some authenticity, I'll probably add them. Still haven't come up with the "best" setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:45 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
Landing Gear

Landing gear is 1/16" wire soldered into a strut arrangement. Gear axles need to be no farther aft than leading edge of top wing to keep from frequent nosing in. I learned that the hard way. originally set axles even with lower wing LE, and if I really greased her in, would survive ok, but anything more agressive, and she'd touch and immediately nose over.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:51 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
Finally, The cowling

The cowling is heat shrunk out of a PETE cold cup. I made the form out of scrap wood (unfortunately the fuse is 1 7/8" wide, so a two by four is a bit narrow for the form). The picture show the form, the finished cowl and an earlier try. Hopefully you can see how it forms. I used leather gloves to hold the rim of the cup down on the table as I applied heat to it. A typical failure will be if too much heat is applied to the side and the hole you can see opens up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:52 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
Well, hopefully there's enough here to try your own OSB if you want. Feel free to ask questions!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:08 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,878 Posts
Thanks!!

What are you running for a motor/battery/esc?

30" ws is a nice size....looking forward to a video when you can.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:51 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,575 Posts
more variations on the theme

As I was tinkering with the wings, it struck me that one could morph this design into any number of ww1 planes with a little tweak. Here's a sortof DH moth version. Disclaimer! I haven't built this so have no idea of how it will fly, but it's an idea of how one could make several planes out of this basic plan with changes to the wing tips and tail empennage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:35 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,133 Posts
Very nice little bipe youve got there , i think i need to get out flying and crash something so that i have some stuff to make one need the cold and snow to settle down first . 1 sheet is a cheap little plane very cool .
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:47 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,220 Posts
Another great visualization of a plane just waiting to be freed from its 30 x 20 sheet.
I love the way the v-stab and wing-tip do the ying and yang thing, but that is just one of many ingenious design details.
Plenty of paint schemes would work with this lil' darlin'. WW1 fighter or 1920s barn-stormer, trainer yellow... I look forward to seeing what happens.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:35 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,409 Posts
Congratulations Mike!

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:20 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,545 Posts
Mike,
It's been great fun seeing the OSB design develop. You have a real talent for getting the most out a sheet of DS foam and designing great flying planes. I have been really impressed with the recent tweeks that have resulted in a plane that tracks steady even in the tight quarters and confusion of the "foam blender" at the USA indoor site. BTW, I'll be available for camera work tomorrow, so maybe we can get some good video.
Don

PS... I am still thinking of building one of these for some WW1 streamer combat next summer.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr