SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Discussion
Flush cut router bit for Dremel?

Has anyone ever seen this type of bit in an 1/8" shank to fit a Dremel? It would be similar to the type of router bit used to trim laminate for countertops or to cut multiple parts using a template. I've searched and would assume someone would sell one but have not found anything yet.

Thanks, Scot
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:34 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,266 Posts
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...me=Router+Bits

Your local hobby shop of harware should be able to help you with availability.

Try the cut on a scrap piece of like-material first. Keep the RPMs slow as not to burn the wood and bit.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
I didn't see anything like what I'm looking for. See the bit by clicking the link below. Looking for something like it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:54 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
852 Posts
I use tungsten-carbide bits from McMaster-Carr. Technically they are die-grinder burrs, but they work fine in the Dremel tools. They cost ≈$5 nowadays, but I have four and they have lasted almost 20 years in all sorts of use.

For the use you propose, I'd recommend the double-cut (faster cut) but the trick is the 1/8" shank, 1/8" diameter head which does a 1:1 transfer. Just adjust the seating of the bit in to the dremel so the smooth shank contacts the pattern and the teeth engage the raw material. If you use the radiused-end, you can plunge-cut into soft materials as well.

McMaster is where I got the ones I have, but they are available from a dozen places, and the pictures are from a Karnasch catalog.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:06 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Mar 2008
1,339 Posts
http://routerbitworld.com/PhotoDetai...log-page26.jpg

#46196 or #46296

Nevermind, those have an 1/8" cutter diameter, but a 1/4" shank.
hammerd is offline Find More Posts by hammerd
Last edited by hammerd; Jan 09, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:12 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
I didn't see anything like what I'm looking for. See the bit by clicking the link below. Looking for something like it.
Okay, so you're looking for a trim/bevel bit with a live bottom bearing? Sorry, I haven't seen a bit with such a small bearing either. As you may know, the extension on the bottom of the bits in the Dremel link serve the same purpose, although a live bearing avoids burning the wood, and serves on a trim bit to bring the material you're removing flush with the work piece.

I'm afraid that chances are you'll only find the extended fixed "bearing" on a 1/8" shaft router bit. If you do, PLEASE post where to get them!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I guess those McMaster Carr bits would work, but would probably be better on a router table setup since the "bearing" surface would be on the bottom, closer to the collet.

EJ,
A ball bearing would be nice but not necessary at all. It's a shame Dremel doesn't make such a bit already...wonder why?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:46 AM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
. . . A ball bearing would be nice but not necessary at all. It's a shame Dremel doesn't make such a bit already...wonder why?
That when people trim laminate, they use 'real' routers? The cost of the bearing? . . . a bearing that is not only smaller, but must turn at higher RPM?

You haven't explained why you want this; what the purpose is. Laminate trimming is one thing, but pattern cutting and sign routing is normally done pattern-above, stock-below.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick