Thanks Joe, just sent him an e-mail.
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:31 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,386 Posts
This diagram from the boat's website suggests the sternwheel is centered. I'd be surprized if a heavy object like the wheel were offset, simply because it'd make trimming the boat more difficult.

http://www.hspsi.org/barbara_h/home.html
to see original diagram, click on "hull survey and other info"

I'm curious why you don't simply contact the owner with your questions? He's been nice in the emails I've sent (regarding their calendar). As a 501(c)3 organization, they are required to meet educational requirements to preserve their tax status; so they are presumably used to fielding questions, and probably happy to do so.
-----------
When I designed the A.J.Goddard model, I centered the wheel, and placed the steam motor to offset the weight of the drive chains. So, it's certainly possible Barbara H uses offsets somewhere to balance her drivechain. Real sternwheels are heavy - note that the Barbara H's 10-12 ton diesel motor is placed far forward to counterbalance the wheel. If the diagram is to scale, the wheel weighs around 3-4 tons. If I were a nautical architect (of real ships, as opposed to models) I'd rather place the heavy wheel on the centerline, and move something else, of comparable weight, to balance the presumably lighter drive chain. Besides, an offset wheel would make steering hellish >:-)
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Jan 17, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:22 AM
Aukra, Norway
Joined Aug 2010
461 Posts
keeping my eyes on this build
proteque is offline Find More Posts by proteque
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:46 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Actually I just did per your suggestion e-mail the owner/captain of the Barbra H. Also I was remiss in not crediting the site you listed when I posted the pictures of BH here from that site. My apologies to the owners of that site.

-----

I’m not totally committed to building an exact copy of the Barbra H but the more we discuss the topic here the more I’m starting to try to stay at least true to her design. Last night worked on gears for the drive before the belt drive to the main wheel. I’m not happy with the way the gear for the motor came out so I’ll be back at it again soon. I’ll post pictures later.
Last edited by Rmay; Jan 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:40 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
I quickly got an excellent response from owner/Capitan Steve Huffman to my e-mail. I usually wouldn’t bother an owner if I’m not building that peculiar vessel, but I found Mr. Huffman very friendly and helpful. Turns out as “Brooks” suspected the paddlewheel is centered to the beam of the boat. The main chain cog is actually outboard of the "cylinder timber" (I-beam) that holds up that side of the paddlewheel on the starboard side. Mr. Huffman also noted a gentleman who is currently building the Barbra H in foam core/cardboard(?) and listed a photo site http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/i...0Sternwheeler/ of his work. If you click on the other builds on this site you’ll find it very impressive. Because my "cylinder timber" is too far outboard to build the drive system similar to the Barbra H I will have to do something close to “Wild Goose” with the drive belt outside the main superstructure.
Last edited by Rmay; Jan 19, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
How about something like the cop-r-loy. John Fryant at paddlewheels and Props has plans for it.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Rmay the Lady Lois has the drive on the outside. I've got drawings uploaded here and some pics of the model. I can send you pics of the real one to detail by.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:45 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Actually looking at my hull I think the best design would be the Major. If you have other pictures of that vessel I'd love to see them. Also looking at the plans of the Major does it only have ruders at the rear and not on the hull too? It looks like, from the plans, it's only the "Monkey Rudders", am I reading that right?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:24 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
commenting to subscribe.

keep up the good work!
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
TowboatJoe YOU ARE THE MAN! I took some measurements today and I think the Majorís basic footprint fits much better to my current hulls layout and size. If you guys donít kick me off the forum for being so wishy-washy I think the Major is looking like sheís the one. Iím starting to feel like Iím picking out paint with my wife
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:06 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
TowboatJoe YOU ARE THE MAN! I took some measurements today and I think the Majorís basic footprint fits much better to my current hulls layout and size. If you guys donít kick me off the forum for being so wishy-washy I think the Major is looking like sheís the one. Iím starting to feel like Iím picking out paint with my wife
Join the club as far as wishy washy--happens to us all when looking at a prodject.
At least we are fun to go out choosing paint. No foo foo colors here most of the time unless it is Chris Craft red, haze gey, glossy white,........
keith S is online now Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
With the Major having a center drive wheel you might want to think about making it a split wheel and have two motors. That way you can make her turn sharp with one wheel forward and one wheel backing. just a thought.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:23 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Darn it, I just got the split drive figured out and you throw another wish to my wash Because Iím working with my old hull the drive system already looks like a Rube Goldberg production so I think Iíll keep it a single drive. I will have to use a smaller belt so I will have to turn my wheel from flat to grooved, darn I have to play with my lathe again! My shops already getting dusty and dirty, another words itís starting to feel like old times again
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:27 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Well I'll keep thinking and see if i can come up with something else to mess with your mind, LOL!