Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
Maybe with the new chain drive I might get a wake something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VXsMbrR5yic
That guy ought to dress up like Huck Finn.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,309 Posts
Update

Just a few final details and the Major will be finished! Worked on the searchlight yesterday – just need to add the guts + a few more details and she’ll be finished.

I spent some time at the USS Kidd museum yesterday and visited my Coast Guard 44’ MTB. She’s been on display not for over 10 years and starting to show the signs of age. For most of her museum life she was on display near a window and the sun really beat down on her. I hope to take her home for a rebuild and return her to her former glory.

Maybe even fix some of my glaring mistakes too
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:00 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,089 Posts
Great work Man...
Some day I Gotta learn to work brass.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,309 Posts
I've seen your work Tim, you've got the skills - just takes a little practice, burnt fingers, and lots of flux!

And a few words uddered under your breath that sound like "flux!"
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
That search light is great looking. Metal work has always been one of skills I wish I had learned over the years but so far I not so much.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
I grew up next to a career metal shop teacher (another thing gone by the wayside is teaching shop classes (or even having them)), and Boss (his name) could solder or gas weld nearly anything, he had started to teach me to gas weld (we had to move, darn Navy!). Boss was one of the few people I have ever seen who could gas weld on a no 12 tin can without burning a hole it!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
you are very much correct Foo, We need shop classes back. Heck, we need Home Ec back too! I could go on a big rant about it. But, I'll spare y'all all that but to say that No child left behind has left a lot of kids behind, and the only real learning going on is learning for the tests, so much to the point where critical thinking is left by the wayside. And not every little precious snowflake is suited to be groomed for a life of a cubicle dweller and they would probably thrive in a vocational program.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Car and Driver had an article about that a couple of months ago about how hard it is just find people to work changing oil in dealerships.
Foo
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Car and Driver had an article about that a couple of months ago about how hard it is just find people to work changing oil in dealerships.
Foo
And that would be an excellent entry level/apprentice job for any kid coming out of a auto mechanic vocational program.

used to be, if you weren't in a hurry and you needed your car fixed, you could take it down to the vo-tech center and have the kids do the work.

can't do that anymore, child labor laws prevent it.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:20 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,698 Posts
We used to have auto shop in high school, as well as Driver's Ed. You could get a discount on your insurance (which was pretty high for teen through 25 year old drivers) and get a Senior license early (Junior licenses were sunrise to sundown) if you got a good grade in Drivers Ed.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:29 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,309 Posts
It’s been a while since I’ve posted but I have been actually getting things done on the Major. In fact she’s about 95% complete now. Just adding the final glazing and she’s done. Sorry I should have pictures up later this week or next week.
Had to use my shop as a storage site during Hurricane Isaac. I HATE Hurricanes!!

Last week was also the 5th anniversary of my wife and I getting our beautiful little girl from Lang Son Vietnam (miss the excellent food from LA’s in Hanoi). She’s a little Hurricane herself and keeping a dynamo like her occupied with rotating 12 hours shifts and managing a very thirsty generator can keep you super busy. But all is getting back to normal here and I wouldn’t complain as people south of me in Plaquemine’s Parish have had it far worse.

I bumped into a picture of the Major on this website:
http://ohio981.blogspot.com/2012/09/calliopist.html
Looks like she’s keeping nearly as busy as I’ve been lately! I hope to take pictures of my Major soon and will post asap!
Last edited by Rmay; Sep 04, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
What is Major's power source (fullscale) diesel?
Foo
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,309 Posts
Power?

Yep. The owners just installed a new diesel this past year. I understand the engine was moved aft from the original design. Here is another picture from the above blog – the Major chugging down the river with the split drive leaving an interesting wake.
Last edited by Rmay; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:02 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,309 Posts
Finished!

Well mostly finished.

There are several places I need to touchup but after nearly 2 years of construction she's done. If you go to the beginning of this thread you’ll see I dedicated this build to the late Joe Brown, AKA TowBoatJoe. I have no idea if Joe would be happy with the results, but I believe he would. It’s been a fun build and I am happy with how she came out.

Next up a few improvements to my shop and on to my next build – a TID. I hope you guys have enjoyed following this build as much as I have building her!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:08 PM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
Great,
well done,
neat and clean

mp
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL