Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:08 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Double WOW! How many times do you get to talk to a person who actually ran a boat that you are making a model of? Fantastic. pete
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:27 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDavis View Post
Wow I stubbled across this site and just wanted to inform you I use to ran this boat for several years years back in the 80;s 90's and early 2000's when I worked for Madison Coal you are really doing a good job Thank you Jim
Man do I have some questions for you!! I'm at work right now, something about a BCS game tomorrow

I'll hit you with a few questions later if you don't mind.
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, OH, Racine
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Be fine I have pictures that may help you and just about any info you would need. I seen some of the pics posted the 1 from the 84 race I was running the boat then at Charleston great story about that race when you get the time Jim
JLDavis is offline Find More Posts by JLDavis
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:43 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Please share all the stories you can about the Major. One quick question is this the person the Major is named after?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:55 PM
RC Boat Crazy
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined May 2011
175 Posts
I found a picture of Captain Jim Davis in one of my sternwheeler magazines.. What a cool job driving a sternwheeler for work.. My grandparents owned the hillnhill sternwheeler. and me and them knew nelson jones. and we went to all the regattas back then..
tugboatjack is offline Find More Posts by tugboatjack
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Seeing the back history of the original is very cool. Love the pics!
RGinCanada is online now Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatjack View Post
I found a picture of Captain Jim Davis in one of my sternwheeler magazines.. What a cool job driving a sternwheeler for work.. My grandparents owned the hillnhill sternwheeler. and me and them knew nelson jones. and we went to all the regattas back then..
Where did you find that pic I had a copy but have lost it through the years wish I still had that much hair but I guess time takes care of that.I believe that must have been around 1990.I remember your grandparents boat Thanks for posting the pic Jim
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
Please share all the stories you can about the Major. One quick question is this the person the Major is named after?
No I dont believe so have always been told the boat was named after a man in charge at Kellys Creek Coal co.That was where the Major worked for a number of years moving coal from there to the Cabin Creek plant,harry White bought the boat and used it in his construction Co.where it sank at Whitcher creek.It laid there for years until Nelson bought it and raised it there are numerous pictures that he had during the raising and rebuilding process which too place at the ship yard at Point Pleasant which Amherst owns.There was 4 of the boats built like the Major by Ward engineering 1 made its way to the New Orleans area and I'm not sure of its fate today it was still floating around 10 yrs ago because Nelson was in that area and brought a picture of it back to show me,Crain brothers of Pittsburg owned 1{Criterion} and it has was rebuilt by Mark Yohe and use to come to the regattas I have a picture of it and will try to upload and send it to you.That brings the story of a race that was held at Charleston between the 2 boats in which we got real close and had to pull up I turned the win over to the Criterion with the promise of a grudge race the following weekend in Marietta at that regatta,The major once they moved the engine to the rear and with the addition of the steering rudders has to much wheel in the water for speed so Nelson, John Elkins and myself came up with a plan we sit 7-55 gallon drums on the head of the Major filled them with water to get the buckets out of the water for speed the race wasnt even close, we always told Mark he could not of kept us to us on a bicycle.The 4th boat was converted to screw wheel several years ago and still works on the Kanawha river and is owned by John Scott the name on it is DL Gilliand.Another story you migt find interesting the Major and the Gilliand both had an original deck fitting break on the boats within a week of each other in 1988,thats something you dont see today, service of 60 yrs out of a deck fitting.Well got to go for now but I will be back and feel free to ask anything you like I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge Jim
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:07 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Thanks JLDavis, after the week in football we've had here in Louisiana I needed a pick me up

Please post any pictures you can find here on this thread! I'll have to do some research looking for the sister boat down in New Orleans -I was down there yesterday at a party. The party ended on a bad note
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
Thanks JLDavis, after the week in football we've had here in Louisiana I needed a pick me up

Please post any pictures you can find here on this thread! I'll have to do some research looking for the sister boat down in New Orleans -I was down there yesterday at a party. The party ended on a bad note
Been there been a bad year for football here too,outlaws and tattoos just tear me up but things are looking up here is a couple pics if they will upload 1 is from the race with the Criterion and the other is the Criterion before it was rebuilt hope you enjoy Jim
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,251 Posts
Umm, I'm from Detroit. We haven't had an NFL team here for over 20 years. I think we did have a team called the Panthers or something like that. They may have done a little better this year, but I know we lose MORE THAN EVERYBODY ELSE AND THAT"S A RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:28 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.

Been taking a break from the project for a little while. Should start up again soon. I only have a few items to build - the rails around the pilothouse and handrails on the main cabin. Now finishing the ring around the wheel. It's been a fun year getting back into model boat building. Never in a rush, just having fun.

As for football. I though my "who cares" on NFL was over until my cousin, who is a Green Bay fan, had to say a few words about my Saints - so I jumped on the Giants side and they won What the heck - At least the QB is a New Orleans boy

My pile of "want to build" is getting higher so I might need to light a little fire under my butt on the Major
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:31 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Back again

Funny thing happened on the way to the paint booth, Mr. Rushypaints got in the way and fouled thing up. I rushed the job and of course it looked like crap A few days of sanding later here is the somewhat better results. Don’t know how much more I’ll get done over the next few weekends. Next weekend is my daughter’s 5th birthday, and then Mardi Gras parade almost every weekend after that for a while. Oh well – “Life is a parade!”
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:28 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
OOOOooooeeeee! Your getting close to getting it wet! Looks great, you sure wouldn't know anything was bungled.

Enjoy Mardi Gras (and the birthday!)
RGinCanada is online now Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:29 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
Thanks RGinCanada, it helps to keep the shots lose. it's not looking bad, can't say the same about the birthday this weekend. Looks like the friendly folks from Texas are sending all of their rain our way. And I thought Texas was the "Friendly State!"