Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Rmay, Bernie said the Barbara H had three steering rudders and two monley rudders. Looked to me like inthe photo there was three monkey rudders. My mistake. He said he still has photos and a rough plans where he took measurements of the boat and of the crane flat it used to push if I was interested in them.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:51 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,232 Posts
I'd love to see pictures, but please don't go through any trouble to get them as I am building a towboat close to the Barbra H. My hull is about 48” long and scales up in 1/24 to about 96’. So I’m sure there will be some compromises along the way. You guys are all excellent and talented builders and now that I see several of you will be watching my build I hope ya’ll (Louisiana native) will allow me a lot of “Creative Licenses” on this project. I mean I’m no Pat Mathews
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:02 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
I mean I’m no Pat Mathews
Who is??????? As far as creative license its your boat, do what you will. We'll still be impressed.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Absolutely, it's not how accurate or real looking it turns out. it's the love that goes into it.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:12 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,232 Posts
Thanks!

Interesting video from the Barbara H's/Youtube site!

Barbara H Sternwheel Towboat (5 min 6 sec)
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:13 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,260 Posts
Nice video.
Thank You
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:29 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,232 Posts
I did a mockup with some old foam core to see if the dimensions look right and I think it’s going to look close. Would have done more last night but I still need to get a heater for my shop. I don't think I'll get much more done this week becauese I'll be out of town this weekend.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:59 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,659 Posts
Outta curiosity has anybody done or seen the paddle wheel driven with a worm gear? I was thinking about the old HO slot cars. Some of them had worm gears.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:00 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,379 Posts
Driveshaft and pinion

Not quite a worm gear, more like a car's driveline.

"Benwood - built by Dravo, Neville Is, PA 1927. Steel hull 125.9x26.6x6 feet. Two Fairbanks-Morse 120hp diesels powered independent paddlewheels with driveshafts and pinion gears. Owned by Wheeling Steel Corp. Converted into restaurant 1966 McKeesport, PA." - from 2010 calendar "Oil engine sternwheel towboats" published by Historic Sternwheeler Preservation Society (owners of Barbara H.)
www.hspsi.org
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Jan 12, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,659 Posts
That's pretty slick. It would be interesting to know how it compared to the crank drives or chain drives.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
This configuration was used on several sternwheelers to give them separate control overs the split wheels. There is another set of driveshaft and pinion gears on the opposite side to enable one wheel to back and the other to go forward. Shortly thereafter they were goingto diesel engines and propellers. p to 500 hp the sternwheelers could out push the propeller diven boats and a lot cheaper on fuel (diesel paddlers), but above 500 hp the props win out.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
I saw a boat very similar to this for sale at Yachtworld several years ago. It was converted into a live a board. When viewing the pics, did anyone think Springer!! When I saw that hull, I thought, this would be a great candidate. Anyhow I'll go back to watching.....
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:32 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,232 Posts
Didn’t get much done this weekend on the build, had to travel to Houston to visit family. Pouring rain almost the entire 5 hour trip home. I don’t know if any of you guys have ever driven, and I don’t want to highjack my own thread, the I10 corridor between Louisiana and Houston. If you’re not doing 90 you will get run over. And most likely it will be a pickup truck that smells like cattle. The fact that it was pouring down buckets of rain was only nauseas to Texas drivers. ANYWAY I did turn another drive wheel on my lathe. I am having a dilemma however. The Barbra H has its drive chain on the inside of the main structure next to the wheel. Unlike many of the other sternwheelers I have pictures of where it’s on the outside. It looks like the Barbra H has its wheel offset (not centered) to port. Does anyone know for sure if this is true? I can’t really tell from the pictures I have. Because I’m building a facsimile and not necessarily the BH I don’t have to stick to all of this boats design but will keep as close as I can. I am bothered by the aesthetics of an offset wheel.
Last edited by Rmay; Jan 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Rmay, try contacting Bernie, he took measurements and detail photos of the boat when he built his model. His email is bndtowboats@juno.com
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
I would say that the wheel is offset to allow clearance for the drive since it coms out the stern instead of the guard like the lois does.