Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey View Post
SHHHHOOOOT!

This was my BEST SAVE EVER!

I screamed "Oh $h!t" as I slammed in full aileron!

The left wing almost swept the ground as it rolled it over.

Plunked down upright on the landing gear!

Inspected it, fixed the clunk line and the tailwheel.

THEN FLEW IT THREE MORE TIMES!

I'm walking on air today, folks!!!

Fred
Whew! That scared me for a minute. That was a lucky save.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:14 AM
Allen, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
With luck like that you should go buy a Lotto ticket!
I guess you don't know about Fred's luck in winning raffles.

Hey Fred...maybe you should buy a lotto ticket.
davidsons is offline Find More Posts by davidsons
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rob View Post
OH DAYUM! I tried to do that exact same thing with my 103...yeah, it didn't roll enough and folded in half. yay!
Lol, I'm sorry about that Rob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey View Post
SHHHHOOOOT!

This was my BEST SAVE EVER!

I screamed "Oh $h!t" as I slammed in full aileron!

The left wing almost swept the ground as it rolled it over.

Plunked down upright on the landing gear!

Inspected it, fixed the clunk line and the tailwheel.

THEN FLEW IT THREE MORE TIMES!

I'm walking on air today, folks!!!

Fred
Please tell me someone got vid?
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Jan 2005
475 Posts
I'm working out the details on a electric 104" setup, and I have a question on the ESC.

I will be going with a light weight setup, Hacker Q80-6L and with 2 * Thunderpower 6s 7700 lipos. Prop will be a Xoar 26x10 PJN. According to Aero-model, this setup will draw up to 160A.

I saw a video of Joe Smith running a similar setup with an Extra 103", using a Castle HV160 ICE2. According to Aero-model there were some issues with this ESC (more recent than the recall that led to Castle introducing the ICE2).

So I am considering going with the Jeti MAS-Spin-170-O-PRO. But I don't know anything about this ESC. Can anyone give me any feedback on this ESC.

Thanks
malcolmm is online now Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:29 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,178 Posts
I ran the Jeti 170 in mine with A-100. The ESC is solid but I was not happy about the slow throttle response. I read somewhere that Jeti had suggested using Heli mode which I tried and this did improve throttle response a bit but I had a situation where ESC lost sync with motor during flight at a bad time.

After some airframe repairs I tried an ICE2 HV160 which failed and caught the plane on fire on the first flight. This issue has been resolved by CC so make sure you get the lastest revision if going with CC. The throttle was excellent on the CC btw before the failure.

I'll soon be starting on repairs of my 104 and will try the latest CC (a replacement for my original by CC).
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:01 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,421 Posts
Nice Save Fred! Put a drinking straw on that clunk to keep it in the back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleypatroll View Post
Bivens you coming to huck o ween?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
...If you haven't came before Mr. Bivens, I highly recommend coming!
I believe one of you is talking about a fly-in in Texas...the Huck-o-ween is somewhere else...I'd like to go (much closer than TX)...but I haven't looked it up yet. Valley - Can you send me a link for Huck-o-ween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
I ran the Jeti 170 in mine with A-100. The ESC is solid but I was not happy about the slow throttle response. I read somewhere that Jeti had suggested using Heli mode which I tried and this did improve throttle response a bit but I had a situation where ESC lost sync with motor during flight at a bad time.

After some airframe repairs I tried an ICE2 HV160 which failed and caught the plane on fire on the first flight. This issue has been resolved by CC so make sure you get the lastest revision if going with CC. The throttle was excellent on the CC btw before the failure.

I'll soon be starting on repairs of my 104 and will try the latest CC (a replacement for my original by CC).
Joe's been making the new CC's look great lately.....
Bivens is online now Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, TX, Liberty Hill
Joined Oct 2003
257 Posts
Come on Bivens! Come on down to Texas http://austinrc.org/huckfest We are going to have blast We are giving away 2 104 inch Slicks in the Raffle.
HKC3 is offline Find More Posts by HKC3
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Got the maiden and another 5 flights done today. It's a fine flying airplane. Unbelievable power from the DA120 and Falcon 29x9 prop. Just a big smile on my face the entire time. The only negative? I'm going to need a bigger gas can!

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:00 PM
USA, NH, Bedford
Joined Oct 2009
424 Posts
Awesome, congrats Mike!
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Got the maiden and another 5 flights done today. It's a fine flying airplane. Unbelievable power from the DA120 and Falcon 29x9 prop. Just a big smile on my face the entire time. The only negative? I'm going to need a bigger gas can!

Mike
Nice plane
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmm View Post
I'm working out the details on a electric 104" setup, and I have a question on the ESC.

I will be going with a light weight setup, Hacker Q80-6L and with 2 * Thunderpower 6s 7700 lipos. Prop will be a Xoar 26x10 PJN. According to Aero-model, this setup will draw up to 160A.

I saw a video of Joe Smith running a similar setup with an Extra 103", using a Castle HV160 ICE2. According to Aero-model there were some issues with this ESC (more recent than the recall that led to Castle introducing the ICE2).

So I am considering going with the Jeti MAS-Spin-170-O-PRO. But I don't know anything about this ESC. Can anyone give me any feedback on this ESC.

Thanks
The issue with the HV160 ICE2 has been addressed and is now an awesome working esc. I have about 150 flights on fixed hv160s so I think they are good to go now
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, TX, Liberty Hill
Joined Oct 2003
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post

Mike
How is the 29 X 9 are you on stock mufflers?
HKC3 is offline Find More Posts by HKC3
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:54 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
The issue with the HV160 ICE2 has been addressed and is now an awesome working esc. I have about 150 flights on fixed hv160s so I think they are good to go now
My fixed 160HV is doing well now too!!
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:55 AM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKC3 View Post
How is the 29 X 9 are you on stock mufflers?
J&A mufflers. As far as the 29x9, I like it but I haven't done any 3d flying with it yet so I'll know more later. Right now I'm just getting time in the engine but I can say the thing is a rocket on up lines.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Jan 2005
475 Posts
Thanks for the replies on using Castle and Jeti ESCs. I decided to use the Castle ICE2 HV160. I have a couple more questions:

For a spinner, what size do I need? If it is 4", would the Extreme Flight Elite spinner in this size be okay. I use this on my 89" Slick and it works well.

I plan to use 2 * 2s lipos for power (Futaba BLS157HV * 7 servos). I see that Joe Smith's setup includes a Smart-Fly EQ6 Turbo. Given that I am going electric, is this Smart-Fly overkill? I want to fly safely of course, but I don't want to buy more than I need.

Thanks
malcolmm is online now Find More Posts by malcolmm
Last edited by malcolmm; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo