Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
are you using only one 7955 for rudder?
I'm not sure if this is directed to me. I'm using two 2270 Savox on my rudder (Slick)with no issues at all. Im using two 7950 in a 40% Extra that I had the same issues as Bikeman and the Velcro helped.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:54 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
No, it was for Bikeman…. but I watched the vid and see another one. Sometimes hooking them together will stop the jitter.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Quote:
No, it was for Bikemanů. but I watched the vid and see another one. Sometimes hooking them together will stop the jitter.
Yes, I mentioned that in my post and am not too worried about it as much as obtaining the proper cable rigging.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Can I get a little help with my 104 rudder cabling?

Here's the setup. SWB 4 inch offset arm, cables crossed, rudder cables going to the outermost control horn hole which is right on the rudder hingeline. The cables just go very slack through the travel and at full throw they're at their slackest. Obviously I have a geometry issue here. Speaking of geometry with 45 degrees of rudder throw the servo travels 50 degrees. This is both right and left so that's telling me I have greater distance at the control horn as the servo arm width.
From the SWB website, when crossing the cable I'm supposed to use an offset arm that's shorter the rudder control horn, which it is but it's not working. I do have a 3 inch offset arm and I didn't yet try this since I know others are running 4 inch swb arms on their 104s.

Just for kicks I ran the cables straight, not crossing them, still using the offset on the arm and it was better but not perfect.

I don't show it in the video but the cables are tight (not banjo tight, just snug) at the centered position.

The other issue is a jittery 7955 at center but I'll deal with that separately. Interestingly, when NOT crossing the cables there's zero jitter. I'm suspecting the jitter goes away with none-crossed cables since the cable drags a tad on the rear most bulkheads in the fuse and that probably dampens the centering jitter tendency. Also, when I connect the second 7955 it may dampen it as well. I'd like to get the cable issue fixed first though. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf1AmkwQOr0

Mike
Make sure both are tight at center. 1 will always develop slack thru the range of motion. The other one will have air pressure on it keeping it tight. Looks okay!
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Ohio HuckFest and King 50 Tentative Schedule

This is just a tentative schedule, the HuckFest tour is about friendship and a LOT OF AWESOME FLYING we are trying to keep it simple and fun!

Wednesday the 15th,
Early set up after 5:00 pm No landing fees, you can fly till dark.

Thursday the 16th the Official start of the event!
Registration starts at 8:00am, electrics open to fly, gas starts at 9:00am. You must be registered and wearing an arm band to fly.
Pilots Meeting at 9:30.
Fommy flight line will be open after the pilot’s meeting.
Huck your little hearts out for the rest of the day! Light will be turned on around 8:30/9:00pm, gas is permitted until 11pm and electrics until midnight. Lights will be turned off at midnight.
The Nighthawks will be giving away pilot prizes every hour starting from 10:00am Thursday to Saturday night! You must be present to win the pilot’s give away.

Friday the 17th
8:00am registration open and electrics and Fommy flight line open to fly, 9:00am gas open to fly.
9:30 Pilots meeting.
Open flying until 3:00pm King 50 qualifying starts.
Open flying starts after the qualifying finishes.
Light will be turned on around 8:30/9:00pm, gas is permitted until 11pm and electrics until midnight. Lights will be turned off at midnight.

Ok here is where we are making a little change to the Ohio Huck fest, we are going to start a new tradition this year! We are going to have a Night time one trick contest under the lights!
That right I sad it! UNDER THE LIGHTS ONE TRICK CONTEST!!!!!!!!!!
Rules simple…… Any pilot can enter, and any size plane is allowed “ the bigger the better though”. There is a $10.00 entry fee. All Paid to the winner! We will line up all the paid contestants at the flight line at 9pm and they will go one by one and take two shots at there best trick!!!!! We will have Three Judges judging. One for execution, one for difficulty, and one for crowd wow factor! All on a 10 point scoring system. Who ever has the highest point total wins the Cash!!!!!!!!

Saturday the 18th
8:00am registration open and electrics and Fommy flight line open to fly, 9:00am gas open to fly.
9:30 Pilots meeting.
Open flying to 11:30 am.
Factory team demos start.
Open flying after noon demos until 3:00pm when the finals of the king 50 start.
3:00 pm finals for the king 50
Awards for the king 50
Around 5:00pm the Raffles will start for all the prizes that were donated.
Pilot catered dinner will start at 6:00pm
Open flying once the king 50 awards is over.
Light will be turned on around 8:30/9:00pm, gas is permitted until 11pm and electrics until midnight. Lights will be turned off at midnight.

Sunday the 19th
Open flying after 9:00am
Teardown whenever
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
681 Posts
hey Jim you wouldn't have a dwg of the new version would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Have this in a lot of Joe's planes. And he has even designed a new version of it for the 87shp.
The new version does not have any servo current running thru the receiver. He has the receiver
isolated from the servos just like a smartfly does. Dual battery circuit with isolated receiver power driving
6 servos directly. And all for about 15$, which I like a lot.
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Make sure both are tight at center. 1 will always develop slack thru the range of motion. The other one will have air pressure on it keeping it tight. Looks okay!
Thanks Jim.

Got another question. Is 45 degrees enough throw for the rudder? Thats about one inch short each way from hitting the elevator but I'm at the max end point in programming my 7955 servo in high resolution mode.

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
Thanks Jim.

Got another question. Is 45 degrees enough throw for the rudder? Thats about one inch short each way from hitting the elevator but I'm at the max end point in programming my 7955 servo in high resolution mode.

Mike
Joe runs about a 1/2" short of hitting. So you should be fine.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,373 Posts
I do sometimes switch hitecs to Low-res to get stupid throw....but there is definately no need to do that here if you are within an inch. Fly it and see if you have a rudder shortage....I think you will be impressed...
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
Clearwater, Florida
Joined Apr 2004
56 Posts
Anybody have a crashed 104 that still has a good turtledeck?
I need about the first 7" from the canopy.
I could repair it and make a splice but I though I would ask.
500melon is offline Find More Posts by 500melon
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:22 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,698 Posts
Nice plane
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500melon View Post
Anybody have a crashed 104 that still has a good turtledeck?
I need about the first 7" from the canopy.
I could repair it and make a splice but I though I would ask.
You did not say what color, but here is a link

http://www.flyinggiants.com/swapshop...=33838&cat=all
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
Clearwater, Florida
Joined Apr 2004
56 Posts
Quote:
You did not say what color, but here is a link

http://www.flyinggiants.com/swapshop...=33838&cat=all
Thanks for the link
I pm'd him.
500melon is offline Find More Posts by 500melon
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
You are welcome, I don't know him or anything just wanted to help you out….